DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Transvideo replacement base for F3. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/508484-transvideo-replacement-base-f3.html)

Alister Chapman June 13th, 2012 05:53 AM

Transvideo replacement base for F3.

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things that's always bugged me about the F3 is the use of two 1/4" threads for the tripod mount using plus the offset 3rd thread at the back of the camera. well Transvideo had just launched a new base plate that completely replaces the original Sony bottom plate with a much more robust bottom end that attaches the the cameras internal chassis in 8 places. As you have to remove the Sony bottom plate (very easy takes just a few minutes) to install the transvideo bottom end it may have an impact on your warranty. As there is no modification to the camera other than removing some screws, if you keep the original sony plate and replace it if the camera has to go in for any warranty work, I think it would be impossible for sony to tell. Anyway, fitting the new plate did give ma a peek inside the camera and what is interesting is that the two 1/4" threads at the front of the F3 are attached to the chassis as with other EX cameras by 4 tiny 2.5mm screws, very close to the actual tripod threads. So there are huge loads imparted on this part of the camera chassis. Meanwhile the offset thread at the rear of the camera is in a very substantial part of the internal chassis. The transvideo plate spreads the loads across the original 4 small screws plus another 6 that are distributed across wider parts of the F3's chassis so the whole thing is much stronger and much more stable. see the attached image. Now my F3 has a flat, very stable base with both 14" and 3/8" threads. I wish Sony would put better tripod mounts on their small cameras.

Mike Marriage June 13th, 2012 05:59 AM

Re: Transvideo replacement base for F3.

Thanks Alister,

Shame that it takes third parties to correct design flaws with cameras such as the F3. Robust mounting points aren't exactly rocket science after all!

Chuck Fishbein June 13th, 2012 10:33 AM

Alister,
As this requires removing the original bottom, are the internal bits of the camera exposed through the holes in the Transvideo plate or do the holes not go all the way thru?
Have you been given an idea of cost? I didn't see and prices on your blog or Transvideo's site.

Alister Chapman June 14th, 2012 12:48 AM

The holes don't go all the way through. It's €265.00 or about $375USD.

Andrew Stone June 15th, 2012 06:03 AM

The cheeseplate also has numerous inline 3/8" holes so you'll open yourself up to virtually any ARRI bridge plate system that you want to use.

EDIT:

Alister, can you tell us what is weight of the plate?

Alister Chapman June 16th, 2012 08:42 AM

It's not heavy, most of it is hollow. Heavier than the original, I would estimate about 1/4lb or 500g.

Jason Bagherian May 20th, 2013 06:23 PM

Alister, will this base plate fit the F3 with the Element Technica Body armour in place? It would be good to know before I buy one. Thanks.

Arturo Marinho June 18th, 2013 08:22 AM

I have both, Transvideo baseplate and ET Armor, both fitted ok, right now, my F3 is a TRUE all terrain cine camera

Jason Bagherian June 19th, 2013 08:23 PM

Many thanks Arturo, the ET armour is sweet, and I will buy the Transvideo base plate in July, now I know it fits. Thanks again.