DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   Switronix EX L-96 Battery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/509727-switronix-ex-l-96-battery.html)

Ron Wilk August 1st, 2012 11:18 AM

Switronix EX L-96 Battery

Any thoughts on whether the aforementioned battery would be adequate to simultaneously power both an F3 and Alphatron EVF?

Chris Medico August 1st, 2012 11:27 AM

Re: Switronix EX L-96 Battery

I don't see why not. Mine powers an F3, a PIX240 and a SmallHD DP6 simultaneously.

Ron Wilk August 1st, 2012 12:04 PM

Thank you for your reply ... I'll give it a try.

Chuck Fishbein August 1st, 2012 03:34 PM

I use it to power my F3 Nanoflash and the Zacuto EVF. No issues.

Ned Soltz August 1st, 2012 06:55 PM

I have even used it to power F3 and Pix240

Leonard Levy August 1st, 2012 08:57 PM

great batts

Ron Wilk August 3rd, 2012 02:47 PM

The battery works well when powering both the F3 and the EVF. I had noticed that when running the Alphatron with a battery attached it ran warm to hot. Now that I have eliminated the battery and am powering it from the Switronix it appears to have eliminated the heat issue which, in retrospect, was likely related to the attached lithium battery.

Addendum: After running the F3/Alphatron/Switronix combo continuously for approximately 40 min. I noticed that the Alphatron did indeed heat up. Therefore, my initial impression was flawed ... the heat development is unrelated to an attached lithium ion battery.

Stewart Chong August 9th, 2012 05:48 AM

Other option is here at S-8U62 Battery kit for Sony PMW-F3
Cheers,
Stewart Chong
Hong Kong
Home Page
Distributor of Swit products

Peter G. Johnson August 13th, 2012 02:29 AM

Yeah, that's exactly how I use it (F3 and Pix 240) as opposed to a BP-U60 and then two NP-F970s.

I am planning to purchase an Alphatron soon and I know they take Sony L batteries. Will the NP-F970 fit happily?

Alister Chapman August 13th, 2012 02:50 AM

The F970 will fit on the Alphatron with the battery cover left off, but it makes it pretty heavy, especially if your just using a Noga arm or similar. Generic NP-F550's last about 2 hours and are so cheap I'd just by a few of them. Either that or just run the EVF from a D-Tap off a Swit. With a D-Tap splitter you can run most external recorders and the EVF.

Mark Kenfield November 25th, 2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 1746533)
I have even used it to power F3 and Pix240

Hi Ned, roughly how much run time do get running the F3 and PIX240 together off the battery?

I've got a v-mount plate setup at the moment, but it looks like the EX L-96 could provide a somewhat streamlined setup rig-wise (and less weight and protrusions is definitely a positive with the F3).

Ned Soltz November 25th, 2012 06:48 AM

HI Mark

Believe it or not, I have never worn down the L-96+F3+Pix240

The longest continuous talking-head I recorded with it was about 1:20 (with a couple of stops for the older gentleman to take a quick break). I had battery to spare. So I am going to guess a conservative 2 hours.

Really a very good battery for the money. Right now, I tend to use the L96's with my EX-1 and Dionic 90's with the F3. The AB hanging on a chesseplate on rear-rods also gives a little better balance to the rig.

Ned

Mark Kenfield November 25th, 2012 09:10 AM

Thanks Ned, much appreciated.

Andrew Stone November 25th, 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 1764960)
Really a very good battery for the money. Right now, I tend to use the L96's with my EX-1 and Dionic 90's with the F3. The AB hanging on a chesseplate on rear-rods also gives a little better balance to the rig.

Ned

I'm pretty much the same. I prefer a Dionic with a battery hanger to provide ballast for the F3 like Ned, however, the L96 has pretty much the same amp hours as a Dionic 90 but the L96 is much cheaper. If you are invested in Anton Bauer or V-Lock accessories, I think it makes more sense to go with those.

The EX cams have a much smaller draw than the F3 and are much lighter, so equiping them with batts that weigh less make sense for free form handheld shooting.

Leonard Levy November 25th, 2012 05:44 PM

Alex Dolgin makes a V mount adapter for the Sony Ex/F3 style batts and he also has told me the Swintronics are every bit as good as similar V mount batts