DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/)
-   -   What quick-release plate do you use with your F3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pmw-f3-cinealta/511449-what-quick-release-plate-do-you-use-your-f3.html)

Mark Kenfield October 17th, 2012 05:38 AM

What quick-release plate do you use with your F3?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what quick-release plates and adapters people are using with their rigged-up F3s. I'd be keen to hear people's experiences and recommendations.

Cheers,

Mark

Dennis Hingsberg October 17th, 2012 08:57 AM

Re: What quick-release plate do you use with your F3?

I'm using massive 510 head which I wouldn't call quick release. Also when I need a low tripod shot I am using an old 128RC head but using it cautiously.

Alister Chapman October 17th, 2012 12:32 PM

I'm using a Tilta Shoulder mount which has an integrated VCT-14 mount.

Ned Soltz October 17th, 2012 08:33 PM

Zacuto baseplate with Sony VCT-14. Sachtler 18p head. When handheld, I throw a Zacuto shoulder pad on the back and use Shape handles as well as the DVTec ENG rig with spring-loaded rod and belt pod.

I really don't want to spend the money now, but I would much prefer the Shape plate to the Zacuto but already had the Zacuto.

Ned

Leonard Levy October 21st, 2012 07:15 PM

As a firm devotee of the poor man's flexible, elegant, fast and funky solution, I simply use a cheap Giotto sliding quick release from B&H - around $35@ and similar to Manfrotto. I have about 5 of them on every possible mounting method I own, so it takes seconds to switch the camera from tripod to handheld to slider etc. I have done some work to grind the locking handle so it fits all devices and always carry an allen wrench for a tight lock though. Works pretty well so far but doesn't look too slick as a rental item.

Mark Kenfield October 21st, 2012 11:26 PM

Thanks guys,

Leonard I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my own setup, just trying to decide on a plate/adaptor system that can handle the weight of the rigged-up F3 well.

Does anyone have any experience with the Manfrotto 577 QR system? It looks to be pretty much what I want, but I've basically hated and been let down by every single item of Manfrotto support gear I've ever bought, so I'd really rather go for a more trustworthy alternative - if anyone knows one?

Leonard Levy October 22nd, 2012 12:07 AM

Manfrotto & Giotto are basically about the same. Buy one from B&H & try it. you always have 30 days. I just didn't see anything I liked at a reasonable price that was similar. Would have bought something pricier if I had found it but I didn't see anything unless it was far far more expensive. I hate the Zavcuto because there is no quick release. On the Giotto it can be a bit of a pain to tighten & loosen sometimes but there is an Allen receiver in the handle so I just carry a short T handle 3 mm in my fanny pack. I keep the same plate on my camera and can slide it into lots of different rigs in moments. Wanky but very functional for me.

Matthias Sachal October 22nd, 2012 03:42 AM

The "Lanparte" Shoulder Mounts with V-Lock deserve a Look. Lanparte makes the parts for "Tilta" and the pricing is even better. Im happy with my Tilta Mount, even though the Metal is a little flexy, but its build quality is good.

Leonard Levy October 22nd, 2012 01:56 PM

The Lanparte quick release looks pretty interesting don't see a price or know if its sturdy enough, but hell I'm using a Giotto.
lanparte height adjustable dslr camera baseplate 15mm rod compatible with follow focus and matte box