DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Using Canon lenses on FS7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/527360-using-canon-lenses-fs7.html)

Bob Prichard March 19th, 2015 11:17 PM

Using Canon lenses on FS7

I have been using Canon lenses on the FS700 and a Metabones adapter with no problems.

I am seeing, however, that this combo has problems on the FS7.

Has Metabones updated their adapters so they work with Canon lenses on the FS7?

Brian Mills March 20th, 2015 04:52 PM

Re: Using Canon lenses on FS7

I received a new Metabones adapter with the purchase of my FS7 (the promotion ends March 31).

I have used it on my camera with a Canon lens and a Sigma lens with no problems.

Perhaps the older versions won't work right, I can't say, but the new one I was given works fine on my camera.

Hope that helped...

Bob Prichard March 20th, 2015 09:15 PM

Brian,

Is there a model number on your Metabones adapter?

Does it have a lens inside?

Jean-Philippe Archibald March 21st, 2015 06:17 PM

I have the Mk1, it works on the FS7 .

Jeroen Wolf March 24th, 2015 01:34 PM

I emailed MetaBones with this question and they didn't even respond. They state on their website that they won't respond to questions that are covered in their FAQ but apparently they have stretched that definition. I personally think it's plain rude not to respond to potential customers, whatever their question. If someone considers spending hundreds of dollars in your shop you don't even bother to answer a question?

Bob Prichard April 1st, 2015 10:05 AM

I carefully read their FAQ, and apparently you have to remove the Metabones adapter from the camera each time you change the lens.

On my FS700, I can leave the Metabones adapter on the camera and simply change the lens and the adapter works just fine.

It seems to me that Metabones has not worked out the bugs on its adapter for the FS7. To have to remove it every time I change a lens is a big nuisance.

Until they work out this problem, I will look for another 4K video camera as I have too much invested in Canon lenses.

Jeroen Wolf April 1st, 2015 11:24 AM

Considering the massive price drop on the Canon C300, NAB should see some nice additions to the Canon cinema lineup: C400 K?

Phil Goetz April 1st, 2015 03:56 PM

Latest adapter from MetaBones is the mark4. Rebate at first was for the mark2 but then it changed to the mark4.

Mark Watson June 18th, 2015 08:46 AM

When using a Canon lens, say the 24-105mm, is there any change in the angle of view on the FS7?
Also, with these Metabones adapters, does auto-focus work on Canon lenses?

Mark

Daniel Epstein June 18th, 2015 01:39 PM

Mark ,
It depends on which Metabones adapter you have and which Canon Lenses. Many people seem to like the 24 to 105 with the Metabones Speedbooster adapter to preserve angle of view. This works with Canon Full Frame lenses but not with the EF S lenses. The EF S lenses work on the FS 7 with the standard Metabones adapter. Here are links to the two different Metabones models

Metabones®

Metabones®

Mark Watson June 30th, 2015 09:30 AM

Dan,
Thanks for the reply. The whole lens situation is my main concern with this camera. Looks like I could make use of all the Canon glass I have, but from what I've been reading, I expect I'll need to get weaned off the servo zoom and just go manual. I'd like to have auto-focus (continuous) though so I'm not trying to manipulate two rings. Sounds like any auto-focus I get will be a little slow with those adapters.

Mark

Scott Hepler November 6th, 2015 10:17 AM

I am purchasing a Sony FS5. I have several Canon EF lenses I want to adapt to the Sony E-mount camera. My question is will I have to use the crop mode on the sony with the speed booster? Or will the image cover the super 35 format without vignetting?

Can the non speed booster EF to E-mount cover the super 35mm format of the FS5.

thanks

scott

Brian Mills November 6th, 2015 12:19 PM

The Sony FS7 and FS5 are both super 35 sensors, which are pretty much APS-C sized.

I use Canon lenses (full frame and APS-C) on my FS7 with a normal Metabones adaptor, and they work ok.

If you get the Speedbooster, you can then use full frame lenses (the 24-105L for example) and get that nice full field-of-view (and a stop of light!).

Either way, you will NOT need to go into crop mode.

I never see any vignetting using fullframe glass on the APS-C sensor, however if you use APS-C glass on the camera OR full frame glass with a Speedbooster, you MAY see some vignetting, depending on the lens itself (there are PLENTY of lens reviews out there, just do some research before buying).

I recommend either the 17-55 Canon APS-C or the 24-105L (on a Speedbooster) if you do a lot of run-and gun, I find those zoom ranges to be a "sweet spot" for that type of shooting (IMO).

Scott Hepler November 6th, 2015 01:39 PM

Brian, thanks for the info. It is a bit confusing for me.
In a perfect world I would get my Canon glass on that FS5 with the speed booster without vignetting. When you say "OR full frame glass with a Speedbooster, you MAY see some vignetting" what exactly do you mean? It is my understanding that super 35mm is a bit larger than APS-C which is where my concern lies. I do have the 24-105L but I think I am going to get sony's kit lens with the FS5 which is similar, but what I want to get on there is my 14mmL and the 70-200 and my 300 2.8, but if they vignette with the speed booster then I can just do the standard metabones adaptor and go from there, but then I loose that wide angle that I want.
Thanks
Scott

Brian Mills November 7th, 2015 06:00 PM

Some zoom lenses vignette at their widest, which is why I always read reviews for a lens before I try it out.

But with a Speedbooster, your effective sensor size is full frame, so what you see on a 5D for example is what you would see on the F5.

In a non-Speedbooster situation, yes Super 35 is 24.6mm wide vs. 22.4 on a Canon APS-C, but most lenses will not vignette any more on the Sony than what you see on a Canon, in my experience (I admittedly haven't tried EVERY Canon lens on the Sony).