DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Lens confusion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/530660-lens-confusion.html)

Peter Brinkman December 16th, 2015 12:18 PM

Lens confusion

Hi,

Of course if I search hard en try to understand I'll get the answers in this forum. But just to be sure:

I'm going to buy a FS5 with stock lens and a Metabones ultra EF to E . This will trade in my broken EX3. Don't have any canon lenses now, also want to use them on my GH4 with a commlite adapter.

Questions

- Can I use standard Canon EF-s lenses on the FS5 and GH4 with these adapters
- Can I use third party EF-s lenses
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM seems to be a good allround lens? With better focusing than the stock Sony lens. But can't use the servo zoom.
- Do I need the expensive metabones? I know it will give me a stop and a wider view, but I also saw there where issue with the thing.

Any other opinions?

Thans Peter

Olof Ekbergh December 16th, 2015 12:30 PM

Re: Lens confusion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brinkman (Post 1905335)
Hi,

Of course if I search hard en try to understand I'll get the answers in this forum. But just to be sure:

I'm going to buy a FS5 with stock lens and a Metabones ultra EF to E . This will trade in my broken EX3. Don't have any canon lenses now, also want to use them on my GH4 with a commlite adapter.

Questions

- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM seems to be a good allround lens? With better focusing than the stock Sony lens. But can't use the servo zoom.
- Do I need the expensive metabones? I know it will give me a stop and a wider view, but I also saw there where issue with the thing.

Any other opinions?

Thans Peter

My two Metabones V4 adapters with latest FW( .47 I think) don't work very well, no AF on any Canon EF lenses. Auto Iris not very good and some lenses it does not work, but you can set them manually, though I hate the way EF lenses move in ⅛ stop steps, makes it impossible to change while shooting, so use vary ND instead.

I have a lot of L glass and nice old FD glass so I still use the Metabones. But I would not buy Canon lenses for the FS5 or 7 for that matter, you are much better of buying the native E lenses from Sony, AF is fast and smooth, instant auto iris works great. No adapter less to go wrong and a sturdier connection to camera. And some of the Sony zoom lenses power zoom, very handy at times.

I really like my old FD manual lenses with just a mechanical adapter, but no auto anything with them, I like that, easier to focus. I have some mechanical only EF lenses as well, they work fine on the Metabones.

I don't know if you can adapt E lenses to GH4 though.

Just my nickel.

Peter Brinkman December 17th, 2015 02:58 PM

Thanks Olof. For now I'll stick with the stock lense. And decide later on upgrades

Jeremy Doyle December 17th, 2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brinkman (Post 1905335)
Hi,

No. The Metabones only works with EF mounts. That being said Canon doesn't license the EF-s mount so there is no such thing as a third party EF-s lens.

I have a Sigma 17-50 2.8 and Tokina 11-16 2.8 that are ASP-C specific lenses and won't work on full frame Canon camera bodies, but the do work on my Metabones adaptor.

I have the metabones adaptor for my GH4 and bought the Commlite for my FS5. With my GH4 I can use all my lenses and have found the Commlite not compatible with my Sigma lenses, the 17-50 previously mentioned and my 70-200. And by not compatible, I mean it works as a dumb adapter, not a smart adapter. In Commlite's defense those lenses aren't listed as being compatable and I was dumb enough to purchase it anyway. And at 10% the cost of a Metabones it was worth a try even though it wasn't listed.

Steve Rosen December 17th, 2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1905336)
you are much better of buying the native E lenses from Sony.

Very disappointing, but I do appreciate getting the information before buying the camera. I don't want Sony lenses, I've used a couple and don't like them... Sadly, although I've had my eyes on the FS5 since it was announced, I'll stick with the JVC LS300... It works and likes all my MFT mount lenses.... I'll probably sell my EFs, or opt for the BM Ursa Mini when the dust clears...

BTW, Olof - are you still making custom grips? I really liked your AF stuff...

Mark Watson December 18th, 2015 05:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can use the EF-S lenses on the Metabones Canon EF to E-mount T Mark IV. I did some testing with both MB adapters on my FS7 to check field of view and that's when I discovered the EF-S will work. See attachment. The SpeedBooster is really great to have in the arsenal but a bit pricey. Maybe you can find a used one. I have the stock lens for the FS7 and I bought a 18-200mm lens as well. Not super-impressed with Sony lenses, but agree with Olof that the functionality you get is better than going the adapter route. Just wish Sony would make more power zooms. If you don't need to be fiddling with the iris much, than I think the 3rd party lenses can open up a lot of possibilities. As for autofocus, I'm trying to get weened off it, since that's what most of the pros seem to be doing :)

Mark