DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   How do you carry your FS5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/530972-how-do-you-carry-your-fs5.html)

Alfred Okocha January 25th, 2016 07:58 AM

How do you carry your FS5?

Hi there!

Just got mine and although I can fit it into my current Lowe backpack it doesn't feel ideal... And doesn't leave much room for mics, lenses and batteries. (And I have to take off the handle.)
I need it on my back though and not with wheels...

Does anybody have any suggestions? Easy access in and out would be great.

Cheers.

Doug Jensen January 25th, 2016 05:15 PM

Re: How do you carry your FS5?

I carry my FS5 in a Cinebags CB25 backpack. Fits great with no disassembly required and still plenty of room for extra lenses, batteries, and even a MacBook Pro.
Really comfortable too. I don't even know it is there until I take it off, and then I feel naked without it.

CineBags CB-25B Revolution Backpack CB-25B B&H Photo Video

Nate Haustein January 25th, 2016 05:42 PM

It's a good customizable bag. The side pockets hold a lot of other "stuff" too, like chargers, mic wind shields, and extra batteries. They just came out with a cool urban camo version I'm pretty jealous of: CineBags - Life on Location

Jim Stamos January 25th, 2016 08:52 PM

Doug are u planning on doing a video on the fs5.?
Your work is excellent

Michael Stevenson January 25th, 2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1907590)
I carry my FS5 in a Cinebags CB25 backpack. Fits great with no disassembly required and still plenty of room for extra lenses, batteries, and even a MacBook Pro.
Really comfortable too. I don't even know it is there until I take it off, and then I feel naked without it.

CineBags CB-25B Revolution Backpack CB-25B B&H Photo Video

Doug,

Do you have to disassemble the camera with that bag?

Alfred Okocha January 26th, 2016 12:23 AM

Hey Doug!

That seems like a great choice. Is the computer compartment well protected? And it seems like it can be a carry on when you fly too right?

Thanks. (Just about ordering...)

Doug Jensen January 26th, 2016 07:20 AM

@ Nate
Man, that urban camo bag is ugly! :-)

@ Jim
I've been working on an FS5 video since Thanksgiving and I just have a few more graphics to build now. Should be up and running on Vimeo over next weekend. 6 hours and 20 chapters. Thanks for asking.

@Michael
No disassembly require. I just fold the LCD over against the camra body and lay the whole rig on it's side. I've carried the FS5 on plane flights and Amtrak already with the CB25.

@Alfred
The computer compartment is very well padded. You will be pleased by it. It will easily carry my 15" or 17" MacBook Pros.

Jim Stamos January 26th, 2016 09:27 AM

Fantastic!
Thank you

Alfred Okocha January 26th, 2016 09:40 AM

Yes, thank you very much! Sold!!

Jeremy Doyle January 26th, 2016 12:52 PM

I use this case.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/829130-REG/Ape_Case_ACPRO2000_ACPRO2000_Digital_SLR_and.html
For the way I pack, I have to take the handle off for it to fit. I fly more often than I'd like, and I haven't had any troubles with it. Even on small planes it fits under the seat.

I carry the FS5, GH4, stock Sony lens for FS5, Sigma 70-200, Sigma 17-50, Panasonic 12-35, Tokina 11-16 Metabones adaptor for both the FS5 and GH4, Gopro Hero 4 and Hero 3, Macbook Pro 15" and 3 portable hard drives.

All my batteries and audio gear go in a smaller camera bag that serves as my small personal item for carry on purposes.

Before I received the FS5, I had been packing my EX1R and carrying less lenses. Everything fits much better now.

Jim Stamos January 26th, 2016 11:32 PM

Jeremy how r u liking the fs5 vs your ex1r

Jeremy Doyle January 27th, 2016 01:59 PM

There's a few things that drive me crazy that I listed below, but overall I like it a lot and there wasn't much of a learning curve for menus and button placement.

It is more comfortable to shoot hand held.
I like the active shoe mount so I can attach the mic without have to run cables. (need the optional mic mount and Sony UWP mics for this to work)
The image is excellent (when I have it in focus)

I miss having a cache record.
I miss being able to name my clips.
I miss time of day timecode. (unless I'm just missing it somewhere)
The LCD screen is not what I would call good. Even with peaking I sometimes miss focus slightly using the LCD screen.

Jim Stamos January 27th, 2016 07:41 PM

Have u tried the hood man loupe.it goes on my lcd everytime.excellent 2x diopter to focus very easy

Alfred Okocha January 29th, 2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1907590)

Just received mine. Seems like a good quality bag but how do you fit your extra lenses in it? There is some extra space but I can't seem to figure out how to fit things in without jam packing it...

Doug Jensen January 29th, 2016 09:54 PM

Each spare lens goes into one of these Portabrace pouches for protection.
PB-BCAMM2

And then I can usually get one or two lenses into the big main compartment with the camera (helps keep the camera from bouncing around), and I also put lenses into the big zippered compartment at the top of the bag. That compartment is pretty big.

The Portabrace pouches are great whenever I have to pack something fragile.