DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   FS5 - Converting XAVC Files - Edit Ready or Catalyst Browse (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531055-fs5-converting-xavc-files-edit-ready-catalyst-browse.html)

Dave Mercer February 1st, 2016 11:43 AM

FS5 - Converting XAVC Files - Edit Ready or Catalyst Browse

Been using Catalyst Browse to convert files to Prores before editing in FCPX.

Any reason why so many recommend Edit Ready when Catalyst Browse is free? Is it just down to speed or are there other benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Mercer February 3rd, 2016 09:20 AM

Re: FS5 - Converting XAVC Files - Edit Ready or Catalyst Browse

Hi still wondering if there's an advantage to Editready over the free sony transcoder.

Thanks in advance.

Olof Ekbergh February 3rd, 2016 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mercer (Post 1908265)
Hi still wondering if there's an advantage to Editready over the free sony transcoder.

Thanks in advance.

Stripping silent, audio tracks. Either rewrap or transcode or both to different folders (hard drives) as many different destinations and settings as you need. And custom naming of clips as you batch.

You can also add LUTS. So you can make dailies and archive versions at the same time as a ProRes for editing.

Kevin Langdon February 3rd, 2016 10:20 AM

Just wondering why you use the Catalyst software instead of importing straight from the card into FCPX as it supports XAVC-L natively? Would be interested to know the benefits of this extra stage in the workflow process.
If you select Optimise Media on import in FCPX, I thought that transcoded the footage to Pro Res anyway?

Olof Ekbergh February 3rd, 2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Langdon (Post 1908271)
Just wondering why you use the Catalyst software instead of importing straight from the card into FCPX as it supports XAVC-L natively? Would be interested to know the benefits of this extra stage in the workflow process.
If you select Optimise Media on import in FCPX, I thought that transcoded the footage to Pro Res anyway?

Yes it does, and I often do this, and then back the library up on external drives as well as my fast RAID5 for the original.

But I use EditReady in the field on my MBP with a couple external drives hooked up. That way I copy to 3 places at once and I can make a proxy file for the client on site if necessary.

I never erase or alter a media care until there are at least 3 copies made.

Dave Mercer February 3rd, 2016 02:36 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I have an older version of FCPX which won't import ... must update.

Editready looks like it has it's advantages as well.

Terence Morris April 9th, 2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Mercer (Post 1908092)
Been using Catalyst Browse to convert files to Prores before editing in FCPX.

Any reason why so many recommend Edit Ready when Catalyst Browse is free? Is it just down to speed or are there other benefits?

Thanks in advance!

Dave - Slightly off topic to your question: I guess the primary reason for transcoding XAVC-L to ProRes prior to editing in the first place, is to reduce CPU load and ease editing, which would make perfect sense. Even though FCPX can edit XAVC-L natively you do require a lot of HP. Is that correct? Thanks.