DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   FS5 + Ronin-M (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531594-fs5-ronin-m.html)

Jody Arnott April 11th, 2016 05:25 AM

FS5 + Ronin-M

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck using their FS5 with a DJI Ronin-M. Is it too big? What lenses work? Any samples of the results?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Jody

Theo Dilworth April 11th, 2016 09:14 PM

Re: FS5 + Ronin-M

hey jody --
i've used it with the sony pancake wide angle (w/ adapter), & a samsung 12mm,
both worked great.
i love being able to take off the lcd & put it on the ronin, saves having to buy a separate monitor!
i'll try & put up some sample footage soon.....

Jody Arnott April 12th, 2016 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Dilworth (Post 1912489)
hey jody --
i've used it with the sony pancake wide angle (w/ adapter), & a samsung 12mm,
both worked great.
i love being able to take off the lcd & put it on the ronin, saves having to buy a separate monitor!
i'll try & put up some sample footage soon.....

Thanks for that Theo. Where on the Ronin did you mount the LCD? Did you use some sort of grip?

I just picked up the Ronin-M and I'm finding it very difficult to balance with the stock lens - I think it's just too big. So I might pick up a pancake lens of some sort.

Good to know it can be done! I'm just flying with my 70D at the moment.

Docea Marius April 12th, 2016 02:55 AM

i use FS5+10-18 sony,is perfect

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1912448)
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck using their FS5 with a DJI Ronin-M. Is it too big? What lenses work? Any samples of the results?

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Jody

Ray Lee April 12th, 2016 01:02 PM

I do not own the 18-105 but I think I read (can't find it now) you may need the the BP-U60 battery the 30 is a bit light and that set up needs some counter weight for perfect balance. I will post pics of the Sony LCD mounted to the Ronin M latter, I used the overpriced DJI bar mount because I may also want to mount the Shogun at some point and didn't want to cheap out

also its your first time balancing a gimbal you may just need some practice... its awkward at first then all the sudden starts taking a couple minutes is all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1912493)
Thanks for that Theo. Where on the Ronin did you mount the LCD? Did you use some sort of grip?

I just picked up the Ronin-M and I'm finding it very difficult to balance with the stock lens - I think it's just too big. So I might pick up a pancake lens of some sort.

Theo Dilworth April 13th, 2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1912493)

hey jody --
i cobbled a mount together on the crossbar using this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/Release-Handle...ilpage_o09_s00
(took off the upper gopro mount & epoxied a 1/4" nut onto it to screw the lcd mount into it)....
& ray's suggestion on using different sized batteries to counterbalance is right on the money as well.
hope this helps!

Alexandru Cristescu April 27th, 2016 10:02 AM

I've been using the fs5 + ronin m with the sony zeiss 16-35. It works pretty decently with with AF and an f-stop of f8. I have the camera completely striped down and also a manfroto quick release system. Minimum f4 for lowlight leaves a little to be desired though, I'm looking for something faster with a good hyper focal distance. The canon 11-24+ speedbooster looks interesting but very expensive at $3k.