DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   PXW-FS5 - New version 2.0 is released (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/531845-pxw-fs5-new-version-2-0-released.html)

Cliff Totten May 12th, 2016 05:42 AM

PXW-FS5 - New version 2.0 is released

It's out!

Ver2.00
1. The ND filter density can now be adjusted automatically.
2. Shooting and recording in RAW mode is now supported. (“CBKZ-FS5RIF” (sold separately) is required)
3. The zebra function has been enhanced, allowing you to select two types of setting. Also, the level settings can now be adjusted in 1% increments.
4. You can now select the audio that is output in the headphones.
5. You can now acquire and record position information when shooting using the GPS function.

What do you think?

Software: PXW-FS5 : Binary Package V2.00 (Win+Mac) : Software/Drivers : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

CT

Noa Put May 12th, 2016 05:53 AM

Re: PXW-FS5 - New version 2.0 is released

How much will the CBKZ-FS5RIF upgrade license cost? I also see on the sony page they recommend to record to the AXS-R5 external recorder attached with the HXR-IFR5 interface unit but those 2 combined cost almost as much as a fs7, would that be the only recorder capable to capture Sony raw?

Jody Arnott May 12th, 2016 06:15 AM

Excellent! I just installed it. The auto ND looks great - very smooth. It will be great for run and gun work... auto exposure without worrying about depth of field changing.

And being able to select the channel for headphone monitoring is a bonus.

There are also now 3 zebra options. Zebra 1 and 2 (pretty standard - press the assigned zebra button twice to select 2 pre-selected zebra levels). But there's also a zebra aperture level? Does anyone have any info on that?

Edit: Oh, it seems to be for the tolerance range. Previously the zebras started showing up at 10% before the selected level, and disappeared 10% after. Now you can adjust that between 2% - 20%.

Judging by the updated manual - it also looks like 4K 120fps is possible with the RAW update.

Jack Zhang May 12th, 2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1914449)
How much will the CBKZ-FS5RIF upgrade license cost? I also see on the sony page they recommend to record to the AXS-R5 external recorder attached with the HXR-IFR5 interface unit but those 2 combined cost almost as much as a fs7, would that be the only recorder capable to capture Sony raw?

Convergent's Sony RAW option you know will be on top of supporting the FS5's RAW output. Since theoretically it's basically the same as an FS700 RAW output, you could try that first.

Noa Put May 12th, 2016 07:12 AM

So that is the 1800dollar Odyssey7Q? That one seems like a much more cost friendly option but I see that it's discontinued?

Andy Wilkinson May 12th, 2016 07:16 AM

Just got back from shooting around town in the sun. This is great news!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1914450)
Previously the zebras started showing up at 10% before the selected level, and disappeared 10% after. Now you can adjust that between 2% - 20%.....

I think it was actually 5% either side of set-point in Firmware V1.11. With that I've been setting my Zebras to 95% and adjust the exposure until I just see them appearing on very bright or white things and that works very well.

Jay Allen May 13th, 2016 09:32 AM

I am happy to see this out. I asked Sony if i should upgrade to 1.1 first and then to 2.0, and in just 2 days i got a response that they have created a ticket. A few days later I got a response from them that said to look it up on their website. This is a perfect example of the stellar customer service that Sony provides.
I have been editing on Sony Vegas since version 3, but their lack of support for Vegas over the past few years have finally made me switch to a different NLE. I own 7 sony cameras and i sure hope that i wont have to jump ship if they treat their cameras like their software.

Cliff Totten May 13th, 2016 10:50 AM

Love the new auto ND! How did I ever shoot without this? lol

The new expanded zebras are sweet too. All in all a very nice upgrade for the FS5.

However, I was hoping Sony would re-enable all the DETAIL settings in the picture profiles. All these settings are currently disabled and have no affect. (at least on my camera)

I dont know if Sony is aware of it today or if these enabled settings are planned for a future release?

Has anybody else noticed that your detail settings do nothing? You can even do an expanded monitor focus and try to inspect and make DETAIL parameter changes. Is everybody else's disabled too?

CT

Nigel Davey May 13th, 2016 01:22 PM

Found this interesting in the manual supplement re Auto ND:

"When full auto mode is on in variable mode, the density of the ND filter is adjusted automatically, even if the auto ND filter is off."

So does that mean if the ND filter is set to clear and the camera is in full auto it still uses the variable ND? I was under the impression variable ND required the filter dial/knob to be set to 1,2 or 3 and it does't engage on clear.

On a different note, I had a little play with auto ND outside this evening. It's brilliant and I can see it being very useful for holding your iris at either extreme for constant maximum or minimum DOF. I suspect we'll wonder how we lived without it in a few weeks.

Alfred Okocha May 14th, 2016 07:17 AM

I never updated to 1.11. It's not written somewhere but upgrading straight to 2.0, we'll get the fixes from 1.11 and later too, right?
(It almost goes without saying... but it's the almost...)

Andy Wilkinson May 14th, 2016 08:15 AM

It should be absolutely fine. Sony site says "for Version 1.11 or earlier". Not sure why you would not have installed V1.11 as there was an important encoding fix in that one.

Software: PXW-FS5 : Binary Package V2.00 (Win+Mac) : Software/Drivers : United Kingdom : Sony Professional

Cliff Totten May 14th, 2016 11:38 AM

Important to note. The upgrade will wipe out your settings. So when you are finished you will need to go back and re setup your zebra, peaking, I/O, PP, etc....

CT

Alfred Okocha May 22nd, 2016 01:46 AM

The new upgrade seems to have created a bug with the SDI out. I use it with an Aviwest to go live and since I upgraded there are connection problems every now and then. (It never happened before that.) It's sorted out by going into the menu and chasing the same set up that is already chosen.
Can't swear that it's the upgrades fault of course but, as I said, I had never happened before that.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Jeremy Cole May 22nd, 2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1914563)
Important to note. The upgrade will wipe out your settings. So when you are finished you will need to go back and re setup your zebra, peaking, I/O, PP, etc....

CT

If you saved your settings on an SD card, you can just just reload them.