DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Heads-up: new Metabones firmware! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532130-heads-up-new-metabones-firmware.html)

Piotr Wozniacki June 23rd, 2016 09:55 PM

Heads-up: new Metabones firmware!

Basing on initial impressions from using my new Speed Booster with Canon EF 16-35mm F4.0 lens on the FS7, I complained about inconsistencies in Push AF work, unstable (hunting loudly) Auto Iris, and discrepancies between the Green vs. Advanced modes description on Metabones website and reality. I've been in touch with Metabones support all that time and they kept promising it will all be rectified in the upcoming firmware release, but frankly I was pessimistic... But today I've got an e-mail from them, announcing the new Firmware update V0.50 is ready to download - what a timing :)

In line of their promise, the new firmware addresses ALL my issues I described in my letters to Metabones, so I downloaded it from here:

Metabones®

There also is a Press Release confirming all the welcome changes:
Metabones®

I'm updating my unit as typing this, and will report the results here; looks promising!

Piotr

UPDATE:

Yes - it DOES work! We now have:

- continuous AF (push AF functional, but still not 100% successful at full tele)
- continuous AI (almost no hunting)
- both available simultaneously, as Advanced mode is now the default

Good work, Metabones!

Piotr

Piotr Wozniacki June 29th, 2016 03:02 AM

Re: Heads-up: new Metabones firmware!

FYI, here is the answer from Metabones Support to my inquiry whether the newly optimized functionality of their adapters could be jeopardized by upgrading our FS7 cameras to the current firmware (v.4.0):

"Dear Mr. Wozniacki,
For your information, we have just tested with the FS7 (firmware 4.0), there’s no issue on Advance mode.

Regards
Elsie
GBI Ltd
"

So, all should be good. I'm upgrading my camera today :)

Piotr

Andy Wilkinson June 29th, 2016 06:13 AM

But be aware everyone that there are several reports of issues with IS (image stabilisation) not working (at all) now on some Canon lenses such as the 24-105mm F4 IS and 17-55mm F2.8 EF-S IS with some cameras such as the Sony FS5 after this.

Proceed with caution/check for further reports first - that would be my advice.

Once you have updated the Metabones firmware I'm not sure you can roll back (correct me if I'm wrong). If IS is as important to you as it is to me then we will probably have to wait for MB to fix this new bug in a future firmware update :-(

Piotr Wozniacki June 29th, 2016 06:24 AM

Thanks Andy - all I can say is that my v4.0 update of the FS7 went smoothly, and my 16-35mm F4.0 Canon lens works as it used to before camera update (including perfect IS, almost perfect AI, and not so perfect AF).

Piotr

Thierry Humeau June 30th, 2016 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1917160)
But be aware everyone that there are several reports of issues with IS (image stabilisation) not working (at all) now on some Canon lenses such as the 24-105mm F4 IS and 17-55mm F2.8 EF-S IS with some cameras such as the Sony FS5 after this.

Once you have updated the Metabones firmware I'm not sure you can roll back (correct me if I'm wrong). If IS is as important to you as it is to me then we will probably have to wait for MB to fix this new bug in a future firmware update :-(

As long as you keep a copy of Metabones earlier firmware (they seem to only make available the latest version on their web site), you can easily roll back to earlier firmware by pressing the WO button on the adapter prior to connecting it to your computer.

T.

Dave Patterson July 12th, 2016 08:35 PM

Thanks for the warning and the tip about rolling back to an earlier version of the MB firmware. I use the 24-105 and 17-55 with my FS5, and wouldn't want to loose the IS. I can live without the painfully slow auto focus, but I need the IS. I am currently using the v2.3 MB firmware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1917160)

Andy Wilkinson July 13th, 2016 01:11 AM

I believe Metabones released a further firmware "tweak" (at the very end of June).

It is now v0.52.

Still not sure if this will retain image stabilisation on lenses like the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS on my FS5 as the web reports I have read are somewhat confusing...

I am of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset when it comes to many software, firmware, operating system updates etc. so will still wait a while - but thought I would mention it so everyone is aware.

Dave Patterson July 13th, 2016 09:51 AM

My MB version is V.50 (not V2.3, which is the download version name...so confusing).

IS with the Canon 70-200, 15-55 and 24-105 lenses doesn't work with V.50, so I'm curious to know if anyone has had success with V.52.

Piotr Wozniacki July 15th, 2016 12:19 AM

Since some of you guys complain about losing IS with the newest Metabones firmware and some Canon lens, something has just occurred to me: are you judging this by the stabilization being OFF in your viewfinder display? If so, please disregard it; Canon lenses (and I speak basing on my experience with 2 lenses: 16-35 and 24-70mm) don't give a s..t to the camera IS setting, and it will also be displayed as being Off! In fact - if I recollect correctly - the menu item is inactive with the Metabones adapter on camera...

So the only thing you should care about is turning IS using the switch on the lens; this always works for me (unlike with the kit 28-135mm Sony lens, which - as I pointed out in another thread lately - requires BOTH the lens switch AND the camera menu item to be set accordingly). If still in doubt whether - after turning the Canon IS on with its own switch - it's indeed working in spite of the EVF display saying otherwise, just put your ear close to the lens; you will hear it working when it''s actually on!

Piotr