DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Dropped frames (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532416-dropped-frames.html)

Alfred Okocha August 7th, 2016 05:47 AM

Dropped frames

Hi there!

Shooting a project in 50i with the FS5 and editing on FCP X. I'm getting a huge amount of dropped frames here. Sometimes it's FCp and sometimes the camera. (I know it's FCP since sometimes you can just move the clip a frame or two and then it plays normally...
Anybody else with the same problem (and hopefully with the solution?)

Cheers!

Gary Huff August 7th, 2016 02:06 PM

Re: Dropped frames

What do you mean by "sometimes the camera"?

If you're getting dropped frames in FCPX, then set the viewer to "Better Performance" instead of "Better quality". If that doesn't help, then you might need better hardware.

Are you shooting 10-bit 422 50Mbps 1080 in 50i? What kind of Mac do you have?

Alfred Okocha August 7th, 2016 02:48 PM

Hi there!

I mean that sometimes the dropped frame is permanent and can\t be worked around. Hence from the camera. But, sometimes after exporting, dropped frames occur, that can be worked around, hence not a recording malfunction but a software one.

Gary Huff August 7th, 2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfred Okocha (Post 1918921)
I mean that sometimes the dropped frame is permanent

If the FS5 was dropping frames as it wrote to the card, I would assume that the camera would cease recording and throw up an error message. Is this the situation you are describing?

What is your media that you are recording to? What are the specs of the Mac you are running FCPX on? Where is the media you shot on the FS5 residing on? Is it still on the SD card or did you copy it to a hard drive? How did you copy it? Did you copy the entire contents of the card, or are you trying to copy files by hand?

Alfred Okocha August 12th, 2016 06:13 AM

Hello Gary!

Sorry about the late reply. Working with the olympics so there's little time. I use San disc extreme pro 95mb/s cards. I import to FCP from the cards.

I really don't hope (or think) that the camera would stop recording and show an error message because of a dropped frame. That would be disastrous most of the time int the ENG world.

To me dropped frames is a reality and something that happens every now and then I just thought there were more than usual recording in 50i.

Gary Huff August 12th, 2016 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfred Okocha (Post 1919119)
To me dropped frames is a reality and something that happens every now and then I just thought there were more than usual recording in 50i.

On every camera I have owned a dropped frame means something is wrong with the write speed on the media and the recording stops every time for that. I don't know why you think it's a reality and that it happens every now and then unless your use of the phrase "dropped frame" doesn't mean quite what I would think it does.