DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   FS5 LCD Sun Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532539-fs5-lcd-sun-hood.html)

Kevin Langdon August 22nd, 2016 01:33 AM

FS5 LCD Sun Hood

Is there one on the market specifically for the FS5? Looking online, it appears some people are having to cut holes to make a generic one fit, sort of.
What are FS5 owners on this forum doing to overcome the difficulty of seeing the lcd panel in the sunshine.
It's a shame Sony didn't make the rear viewfinder larger.

Doug Jensen August 22nd, 2016 04:15 AM

Re: FS5 LCD Sun Hood

I don't use the LCD outside. Personally, I find the viewfinder more than adequate.

Kevin Langdon August 22nd, 2016 04:53 AM

As I wear glasses, I find unless I press right in, which can be uncomfortable for longer periods, I can't always see right in the corner. It's much less of a problem on the larger Sony viewfinders.
That's why I'm exploring the possibility of a sun hood to use some of the time, if needed.
But saying that, the FS5 viewfinder is better than trying to use the lcd panel in sunshine!

Olof Ekbergh August 22nd, 2016 05:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I made my own, from Velcro™ fabric, and then a bit of the hooks part stuck on the LCD.

It is easy to do and very light, it also protects the LCD in transport.

You can still operate the switch on the LCD.

I leave it on the LCD full time, it helps in a lot of situations. I still often rely on the EVF it really is pretty good on the FS5.

Nigel Davey August 22nd, 2016 06:27 AM

I just purchased one of these and cut out the appropriate sections to fit the FS5 LCD:

Neewer 3.5" LCD Screen Sun Shield Hood for DSLR Cameras and Camcorders UD#15 | eBay

It does the job well enough.

Oren Arieli August 22nd, 2016 10:44 AM

I have the same one as Nigel. It works well once modified. Could be a bit deeper, but otherwise a reasonable bargain monitor hood.

Kevin Langdon August 23rd, 2016 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info.

Patrick Baldwin August 23rd, 2016 04:00 PM

I use the Zacuto Finder for the FS5. Expensive but works well.

Andy Wilkinson August 24th, 2016 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Davey (Post 1919694)
I just purchased one of these and cut out the appropriate sections to fit the FS5 LCD:

Neewer 3.5" LCD Screen Sun Shield Hood for DSLR Cameras and Camcorders UD#15 | eBay

It does the job well enough.

Thanks! Just ordered one. Like Kevin I also wear glasses so, once it arrives and I've modified it to fit, there are times when this could be very useful.

Andy Wilkinson August 26th, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi again,

Awaiting my sun hood to arrive but in the mean time any chance of some pictures of how it's best to cut/modify it to fit the FS5 LCD please?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Nigel Davey August 26th, 2016 07:09 AM

I'm not near my kit right now. But it will be very obvious where to cut when you initially try to slide the hood onto the FS5 LCD and can't.

The main question is how neat a job you want to do with the edges of your cut areas? Personally I just stuck some black insulating tape over them. It's not particularly pretty, but it does the job without impacting the function. If you like things neat and tidy and have some glue and patience you can probably do a better job than I have.

Also when you first make the cuts you might start thinking, there isn't going to be much rigidity/strength left in one of the seams. But I've been using the hood for a few months now and so far nothing has fallen apart. Considering on another camera I spent x5 as much for a branded version that always kept twisting, I'm happy with this one for however long it lasts.

Emre Kabasabanoglu August 27th, 2016 03:07 PM

I'm using Neewer 3.5" hood, with little modification it fits well on LCD.

Jeremy Cole August 30th, 2016 08:07 AM

The Neweer Hood is a bit small. Yes, it can be modified, but it won't last too long. I also have a Petrol hood I used with my EX1r, which also works with the FS5. I am not fond of using the viewfinder, but I use it outside as needed

Mike Watson August 30th, 2016 02:16 PM

My 3.5" Neewer hood arrived yesterday, I test fit it, it seems to fit ok (it's certainly 1000x better than nothing). It might work better if you sliced the bottom to allow the cable to exit the bottom rear, but for $13.50... I have no complaints.

Alfred Okocha June 22nd, 2020 07:10 AM

Hi there!

Not sure if I can revive this thread or not. My viewfinder just died... Anybody else encountered that problem?

So, specially in summertime I really need a hood.

Has anybody used this one?
https://cvp.com/product/sachtler_sa1009

Thank you!