DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   XQD card compatibility? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/532564-xqd-card-compatibility.html)

Derek Reich August 24th, 2016 12:36 PM

XQD card compatibility?

I just picked up my FS7, with a few XQD cards. It appears that the 'new' G series Sony cards are NOT compatible yet? I just bought several 128GB cards, and my camera does not recognize them. I have been told that they won't work until a firmware update later next month. (thanks for the head's up B&H)
SO, in desperate need for some additional cards next week, does anyone know if all the LEXAR cards work, or is there a series of those that are also currently incompatible? I need to fedex some today, and won't have time to order yet more before I leave on an assignment if those are incompatible as well.
I noticed the 128GB cards I ordered which don't work are G Series, and have both a read and write speed printed on them. (R:440, W:400) The one 128GB card which DOES work is also a G Series, but only has the number '400MB/s' printed on the front. Any ideas where I can get more of these, or if the Lexar will work?
thanks
Derek

Ron Evans August 24th, 2016 12:42 PM

Re: XQD card compatibility?

I have been looking to use these cards with my FDR-AX1 and did you see this Sony Global - Memory Media & External Hard Drive Portal - Sony XQD™ Memory Card

Ron Evans

Derek Reich August 24th, 2016 02:36 PM

Yes, this is what I understand.... but the update is not released yet?

Ron Evans August 24th, 2016 04:48 PM

Is this not the update Software: PXW-FS7 : Binary Package V3.10 : Software/Drivers : Other : Sony Professional

Also https://community.sony.com/t5/FS7/FS...le/td-p/559981

I cannot check as I have a FDR-AX1 and have yet to buy any of these cards which also look like they work in my camcorder.

Ron Evans

Piotr Wozniacki August 25th, 2016 09:51 PM

Yes, the v.3.10 update was mainly meant to make the FS7 with the newer Lexar cards, so I'd think it should also cover the new XQD cards (I only have the previous ones, so cannot check). But I'd say Sony introduced those new cards after making sure they would work with the FS7 - so if not the v.3.10, the last v.4.0 update should make them work...

Piotr

Ron Evans August 26th, 2016 06:46 AM

The readme file specifically says the new M series cards. I just wondered whether Derek has that firmware on his FS7 or an earlier version.. Knowing Sony I am sure they would not go out of their way to make it compatible with Lexar and not their own cards.

Version V3.1 and V4.0 are on that page.

Ron Evans

Derek Reich August 30th, 2016 10:49 AM

I think my camera is v3.0. I didn't want to undertake a firmware update before a very important interview later this week.... but I'll look into the link. I thought the one I saw was a UK link only (not that that really matters, but it made me wonder why it wasn't released here if that's the case) I was told that the release wasn't coming until next month, but maybe it's already out?

Derek Reich August 30th, 2016 10:50 AM

Yeah... this is the 'Sony.eu' site. Why wouldn't they release the firmware on the Sony US site as well?

Derek Reich August 30th, 2016 10:52 AM

I see no mention of the G cards in this update. Also, if my version is indeed 3.0, do I need to update incrementally, or can I just jump to the latest version?

James Redmond August 30th, 2016 11:13 AM

Hi. I was having the same problem with version 3.1 of the FS7 firmware. When I upgraded to 4.0, I was able to format the new XQD 128 gig card and it has worked fine. James