DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   B-camera for my FS7: A6500 vs. A7Sii (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/533192-b-camera-my-fs7-a6500-vs-a7sii.html)

Piotr Wozniacki December 6th, 2016 09:29 AM

B-camera for my FS7: A6500 vs. A7Sii

As per the header - I've got offers for both the A6500 (with Speed Booster and a few accessories) and the A7Sii (with Sigma adapter and those same accessories), and - mainly due to the Speed Booster price - the price difference is not as high as I anticipated between the two packages. The A7Sii is tempting because of its low-light performance and true FF, but the A6500 offers phase detection AF and touch screen... Should the A7Sii have phase detection it would be a no brainer... Please help me make up my mind :)

Piotr

PS. Important info: All my 3 lenses are just F4.0 (2 Canon EF zooms and the Sony SELP 28-35mm)

Docea Marius December 6th, 2016 10:21 AM

Re: B-camera for my FS7: A6500 vs. A7Sii

:-) buy sony A6500 or expects A7S III

Piotr Wozniacki April 30th, 2017 05:57 AM

Re: B-camera for my FS7: A6500 vs. A7Sii

Baking up this old thread of mine, as the GH5 has been out for several weeks now so I guess some of you guys have some experience with grading its V-log footage already....

I'm still debating whether I should take the GH5 route (mainly for its 4K@50p, 10bit 4:2:2 capabilities), or Sony's A7 (R or S) ii; let me recap:

I was hoping the long awaited A9 would bring everything I like in the Sony cams (Full Frame sensor, ability to share with my FS7: lenses and other hardware as well as the color science, plus S-log3 I got so used to in my HDR grading) AND what's so tempting in the GH5 (10bit 422 mainly) - alas the A9 turns out to be all but video-centric beast...

But with A9 arrival, both A7Sii and A7Rii prices dropped, so I'm again trying to make up my mind:

- A7Rii would be great as a stills camera; my FF native E-mount 28-135mm lens would get a new life with it, it also can record 4K video in S35 crop mode so my Canon zooms could work as well, using Metabones Speed Booster I already have; but: even recording externally with my Shogun Inferno, I'd only be getting 8bit 4:2:2. And in the case of A7Rii, the S-log choice is limited to S-Log2 only - while for HDR it's S-log3 which is most beneficial - meaning that if I went the Sony route, it'd have to be A7Sii which does offer S-log3 as well (but I couldn't use my Canon glass Speed-Boosted as it doesn't have S35 mode, plus it's not so great for stills)

- GH5 would require purchase of some native glass and a new Speed Booster for using my Canon glass

So please advise, those of you who have already graded GH5 footage: is V-log from this marvelous camera easily matched with Sony's S-log3? Any other suggestions re: my dilemma? I'm all ears, TIA

Piotr