DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   Sony PXW-FX9 Test Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/537131-sony-pxw-fx9-test-footage.html)

Doug Jensen November 17th, 2019 06:53 AM

Sony PXW-FX9 Test Footage

I had the opportunity to get a pre-production FX9 camera last weekend and shoot some test footage with it, including some head-to-head comparisons with my FS7. In case anyone is interested in this new camera, here are my tests.
If you click on the "Vimeo" link at the bottom of each video you will find detailed descriptions of each test.

Video #1: Custom Mode: S-Cinetone (Venice look) and HG 8

Video #2: Custom Mode: High and Low Sensitivity w/ HG 8

Video #3: Custom Mode: Gain/Noise comparisons part 1

Video #4: S-LOG: Indoor Footage

Video #5: S-LOG: Outdoor Footage

Video #6: S-LOG: Veterans Day Parade

Video #7: Custom Mode: Orlando Park

Video #8: FF and S35 Field of View comparison

Video #9: Gain/Noise comparisons part 2

Video #10: S-LOG: Exposure level

Kent Beeson June 15th, 2020 02:35 PM

Re: Sony PXW-FX9 Test Footage

Nice test, looking good...About to buy the FX9

Some lens questions...will the Fujinon MK18-55 & MK50-135 T2.9 Cine-Style Lens Kit (E-Mount) lenses work well and cover the entire sensor on the FX9?

What lenses do y'all recommend for the FX9 that are prefect for it? Looking for either the 2 Fuji lenses above or a 14mm, 16-35, 50, 70-200mm....must all be 2.8 or faster.

And do I really need to buy the extension unit?

I mostly do interviews, docs, corporate stuff.

Christopher Young June 16th, 2020 07:00 AM

The Fujinon Mk series won't cover the full frame of the FX9. You would have to run in Super 35 crop mode to use those lenses as they are S35 not FF lenses. Seems a waste if you want to use the FF of the FX9.

If you want to use the very efficient AF on the FX9 most reports to date say the Sony FE 16-35, 50 and 70-200mm lenses work best. They are the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM, Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens and the new Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM Lens.

Although there are good reports coming in from users of the Tamron Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD. Also good reviews popping up on the upcoming Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 Di III VXD lenses. All made for for Sony Full Frame E-Mount. I can speak very favorably for the 28-75mm f2.8. Very happy with it. Sony have a shareholding in Tamron and actually share their proprietary lens AF technology with Tamron and many feel that is why the Tamron's seem to work better on the Sony cameras than the Sigmas for example. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Sigma ART series. I ran two of those with Speed Boosters on the FS7 for a couple of years and was totally happy with the lenses. Since Tanron came out with their FE series lenses many shooters are finding that they hold up very well against the Sony for around half the price. They have become a very popular choice amongst Sony shooters looking for good performance at a good price. Check around and you will find some very good reviews with theses lenses on Sony cameras.

Chris Young

Kent Beeson June 16th, 2020 10:08 AM

very helpful info thanks Chris

Is the SONY 50mm 1.8 as good or better than the Sigma Art 50mm 1.4?

Christopher Young June 17th, 2020 06:38 AM

The Sony 50mm f1.8 is a very sharp lens having edited footage from it and I know two shooters, one corporate one wedding who both say it is their basic 'go to' lens for most jobs. 50mm in full frame is basically a 1:1 vision match for the human eye so far a very natural POV and perspective to match natural vision. It's always been the 'standard' lens for full frame 35mm, very much like 35mm was for S35 and 80mm was for 2.1/4" square. The wedding shooter, video shooter that the is, tells me he has hardly ever lost a shot through bad focus using the Hybrid AF that Sony are now using. I've know him for years and for him to say that was surprising to me as he was always a died in wool manual shooter. He used to bag AF now he is an 80% convert. Every time I see he he says "Oh I love this 50mm f1.8." I keep telling him he has already told me this and he apologizes and says "yeah but it really is very good." and we laugh. It's well worth checking out as the price isn't insane, about US$250 from memory.

Chris Young