Sony FX6? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old July 6th, 2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony FX6?

Hi there!

Are there any news at all about a possible launch date for the FX6? My first gen FS5 i slowly breaking down and I've been looking forward to update my camera.

A bit desperate for some news though...
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony FX6?

I realize this post is a month old, but the a7siii was just released, if you'd consider that. Otherwise, my guess for the FX6 would then be either later in the year (Oct/Nov), or Jan/Feb to NAB time around April. I followed the a7siii fairly intensely as I too was in need, and those tended to be the rumored release times (also A9 & A7R's would pop up as rumors)
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2020, 02:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I saw that. It's really not ideal to work with still size cameras for me but... it seems like I may have to if I want to stick to Sony...
It's been rumoured since the FX9 so really don't understand the hold up... A bit frustrating tbh. Some info from the company would go a long way.
Old August 14th, 2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree. If you can wait, I'd expect it probably early next year (January-April), maybe at NAB. Possibly sooner (Nov/Dec)
Old November 17th, 2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

So, it's here. Great news.

My current set-up is a FS5 with canon lenses. However, to use the new autofocus system it seems better to use native lenses. I have no experience with Sony lenses but I'm struggling to find an equivalent of what's my work horse right now. The Canon F4 16-35L.
On the wish list is a wide, weather sealed, zoom with steady shot. Is there any Sony or other e-mount that fits the bill?

THanks.
Old November 24th, 2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice that you held out for it, and your time has come.

Sigma makes really good lenses, might wanna look into them if cost is a thing. Otherwise Sonys G Lens is pretty expensive, 24-70 f2.8 for $2,000. They might have other models for less, I had like a 24-200 but it wasn't really that good, wouldn't put it on the FX-6.
Old November 24th, 2020, 04:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The FX6 is now creating waves around the forums, ‘it has an amazing feature set for the price.’

And it should start a new wave of competition, hopefully with better prices. Dealers should then package the FX6 together with some nice lenses. There’s a few videos ...

Cheers.
Old November 29th, 2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

For those interested, here’s a good report by an FX6 user ...

Cheers.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Here’s another good report. If you’re thinking of crowd funding yours, please let me go first.

Cheers.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 02:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

This is a good comparison between the Sony FX6 and the Sony a7S111.

The FX6 is about 2.5 grand more expensive so it probably comes down to what you want it for, pro or hobby work.

https://wolfcrow.com/sony-fx6-vs-sony-a7s-iii/

Cheers.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 03:47 PM   #11
Vortex Media

Worthless article. Clearly written from a still photographer's perspective who doesn't understand the numerous important advantages that the FX6 offers professionals who shoot video for a living. The list of what he left out would be too long to even try to fill in the gaps.

But with that said, he also blows any credibility he may have by overlooking the single most important advantage the A7siii has over the FX6 . . . . a freaking viewfinder!! THAT is, by far, the number one advantage of the A7Siii but he doesn't even mention it. Adding a proper EVF to the FX6 is not cheap or easy and should be factored into a purchase decision.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; January 23rd, 2021 at 04:58 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5