DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/)
-   -   tablet monitor on FS5? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-pxw-fs7-fs5/538524-tablet-monitor-fs5.html)

Wayne Zebzda February 20th, 2022 07:00 PM

tablet monitor on FS5?

Anyone been able to use a tablet for an external monitor on the FS5 ?

Pete Cofrancesco February 20th, 2022 09:53 PM

Re: tablet monitor on FS5?

tablets don't work like field monitors

Wayne Zebzda February 20th, 2022 11:46 PM

bummer. the price is so nice.

Pete Cofrancesco February 21st, 2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Zebzda (Post 1967084)
bummer. the price is so nice.

I had the same thought years ago too because these devices have such amazing screens. For whatever reason the camera industry is light years behind and show no urgency to improve their screens.

The only way to get video on to such a device would be through wifi network in which the camera would need to stream out video to it. Even cameras that can do this the delay is too much to be of use. I have used wireless video transmitters. They work great but are expensive and are designed to send video a field monitor.

Most people use Atomos field monitors that have good screen, can record raw, and act as a backup.

Wayne Zebzda February 21st, 2022 02:23 PM

Thanks Pete,
This was just wishful thinking on my part to have a ridiculously low priced monitor for mounting the camera to the front of a car...only to see what I'm capturing.
Aloha,
WZ

Pete Cofrancesco February 21st, 2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Zebzda (Post 1967090)
Thanks Pete,
This was just wishful thinking on my part to have a ridiculously low priced monitor for mounting the camera to the front of a car...only to see what I'm capturing.
Aloha,
WZ

I can't lie I hated spending a lot of money on a quality field monitor but it is one of the most essential pieces of equipment I own. I use on every job, it's invaluable and worth every penny.

John Nantz February 22nd, 2022 06:35 PM

Wayne ...
I'm in a similar situation as yourself.

It's been a very long two years with this Covid disruption and my video opportunities essentially evaporated. Only a few "in-house" shoots because couldn't mix with people and families. As a result, though, been getting some house and car work accomplished so all is not bad. Thanks to the cold winter weather I've read more on-line articles and got re-hooked on the desire to have some prime lens capability.

Before Covid, I had looked at the LS300 but got the FDR-AX700 instead, then eventually spun off the AX100. Shortly after that, Covid hit and video shooting opportunity came to a screeching halt, and now it is a couple years later. Returning to the prime lens cam capability the FS5 was one under consideration. Like you, I was smitten with the controls and interchangeable lens capability, along with the hope that the clips in the timeline between the two cams would have a similar look. So what is with all the past tense?

For one thing, haven't figured out how the clips between the two cams will compare in the timeline, and that was a work in progress. Also have the AX53 and the X3000 sport cam and their clips all look okay, so the FS5 "hopefully" wouldn't be a problem because they're both using Sony color technology. Would be interested in what anyone has to say on this.

Several sellers list "issues" with the cam they're selling, but not everybody does. A search for 'PXW-FS5 repair' reveals businesses that do repairs, and some of them list typical issues. For a cam that is at the pro level, there are a number of typical issues that give cause for concern. My old AX100 got a lot of use with no problems.

At this point, I've kinda 'cooled my heels' so to speak, and thinking more along the lines of the A7iv 'still camera' thet can do video. The plan would be to use it for the prime lens shots. The thought is, with the newer technology, it would have more lasting value in the kit. I'm not a 'still camera' shooter but for the prime lens shots, feel the major settings can be prepared in advance so only a few key settings (for example, focus, etc) can be done on the fly. Edit: the A7iv would be my first still camera in two decades.

In the meantime, I'm busy doing other things but at the moment, this is the direction where I'm headed. Have I given up on a FS5? No, not completely. But seriously considering other options.

Wayne Zebzda February 23rd, 2022 12:00 PM

I have the FS5M2, no problems so far but the A7 1V is supposed to be a fantastic camera for video . Good luck.
Z.