DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   nice lighting, by yourself, short etup time. . .HOW? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/514335-nice-lighting-yourself-short-etup-time-how.html)

Al Bergstein March 3rd, 2013 10:38 AM

Re: nice lighting, by yourself, short etup time. . .HOW?

Doug Jenson has a video on LED lighting (and an earlier video on lighting with hot lights). It's very instructive and he shows how with a 3 light setup he can be up and running in about 20 minutes. Well worth the cost of the video.

I took a different tack, and went with Rifa's (small, medium and large), as I already had a couple of fluorescents. The Rifa's open quick, close quick, and I can change the heads if need be to hot lights for lighting larger areas, or augmenting daylight, I use fluorescents for standard interviews without melting the talent. I hope to eventually get some battery powered Lightpanels or similar, which likely will reduce time even more so. But the Rifas' are rugged, come with wonderful soft packaging that stores and travels easily. I do carry a small LED for use in the field. It's come in handy to pop the shine in the talent's face/eyes.

Al Gardner March 3rd, 2013 05:43 PM

Re: nice lighting, by yourself, short etup time. . .HOW?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 1780727)
And that is certainly a valid point. I guess it's one of those things where once you know something, you can't un-know it. Just like I can get too tweaky with lighting because I feel I know what looks good, I also know (or at least believe) that my boom will always sound better than my G2 wireless (barring noise issues in the room--I'm talking sound recording quality in general here). Better enough in the CLIENT'S eyes (ears?) to justify the time/effort to set it up? maybe not. So this would be another place to restrain myself, like with the lighting. The boom is, again, me seeing something on one of the multi-person crew shoots I work on, thinking it's a good idea, and trying to implement it myself when I'm alone, even to my own detriment.

I can always make the lav Plan A and have the other as backup if there are interference issues. I do NOT have two lavs, but of course I use headphones.

Josh,
Please don't take this wrong but in this post you talk about "Better enough in the CLIENT'S eyes (ears?) to justify the time/effort to set it up?"
Then in another post you talk about lack of budget. You would think that a client with such discerning taste would have a equally discerning wallet? And most times they do. But let me STRESS no client is going to give you what you don't ask for. When it's that much work and that much time and equipment we are not getting paid enough.
It's obvious you aren't asking for enough. So if you don't want to get your client to pay you what you are worth, why not just pay an assistant $25 bucks an hour for set up. I doubt $75 bucks will kill your already ailing budget.
That said I think pricing our services in itemized fashion will bring the invoice more in line with your investment.
How many times have you got the call and all they need is one camera and 1 lav, with just a little fill light. Then a day before the shoot it's 2 cameras 2 lavs and a boom, and a lighting truck. if you itemize your bid based on the original call, everything else is a add on. Your dilemma is not about lighting.....it's about pricing.
This is not directed at you, but this classic situation you find yourself in.
Al