DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   SPC - Single Person Crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/)
-   -   Travelling from Australia to Europe - Insurance etc. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/spc-single-person-crew/535301-travelling-australia-europe-insurance-etc.html)

Michael Warren January 31st, 2018 09:16 PM

Travelling from Australia to Europe - Insurance etc.

1 Attachment(s)
I live in Australia and there's a possibility I might score a couple of jobs in Europe next month, one in Oslo and another in Paris.

I will have a couple of cameras, computer, tripod and a bag of accessories. See attached photo.

Does anyone have any advise for me with regards to doing this?

Any suggestions for appropriate insurance for the equipment?

Andrew Smith February 1st, 2018 03:31 AM

Re: Travelling from Australia to Europe - Insurance etc.

Naturally the only items exposed properly in that photo was the equipment bags. Priorities, huh? :D

Andrew

Christopher Young February 1st, 2018 04:04 AM

Michael

There are two ways of doing this. 1, the unofficial way with the minimum of kit and play like a tourist and hope you don't get pinged for taxes and duties or 2, the official way. The official way is to get a "Carnet" issued. This is a temporary export/import arrangement that is part of an international agreement.that many countries have signed up to. France and Sweden are signatories to this agreement. It will cost you but if these are genuine jobs and you are being booked to do them then the whole cost of the Carnet submission and execution process should be part of your quote for doing the jobs. Don't forget it is also going to cost you a fair amount in excess baggage costs and that should also be included in your job quotes.

Talk to one of the two guys featured on this website, www australianbusiness com.au as they can give you the complete rundown and explain how the process works.

ATA Carnet

You can also download an application form to have a look at but would suggest you speak to the guys at australianbusiness before you attempt to fill it out

http://www.australianbusiness.com.au...IT-OCT2009.pdf

What is involved is that you produce your Carnet documents each and every time you go in and out of a country. You have to make sure that the customs at each point of entry and exit view and stamp the documents and remove the appropriate copies for their country. One of the copies they take they will have to send back to Sydney to confirm that the goods came into their country with you and that they were re-exported when you left. If this whole chain of in and out of each country isn't followed to the 'T' then you could leave yourself exposed to paying duties and any charges for one or more countries visited.

It's a hassle mate but this is the only serious way to do it, getting gear around the world. Do you have your kit insured for international airline shipping damage and loss. I had some kit trashed coming back from Europe earlier this year. The maximum liability the airline would wear was US$150.00. Got that but then had to claim on my insurance and kiss the excess goodbye. Luckily that was only A$100.00. If you need insurance for your kit try someone like SURA. They are an amalgamation of two of the industry's best know film and video equipment insurers Cinesure and FIUA.

Sura ? Film and Entertainment

Just cost it all out carefully and then build it into you quote/s.

Another tip. Take a photo of each and every piece of kit and its serial numbers and keep them with you.
Also take a photo of each piece of kit in their road cases / bags etc. This have proved to be very useful when we have had kit go astray or get sent to the wrong destination. On one job with three of us we all arrived okay but ALL the equipment, about 260kg of it went to a different destination. The photos of the road cases were invaluable for a quick track down as lost luggage just emailed the pics to to a number of possible destinations and they were found and we got them later that day on a later flight. Would also suggest a unique identifier on each piece of kit. I get some ribbing but my nice striped bright pink ribbon tied to each case make them easy to spot plus it's also another identifier if bags go astray.

Also check with the airlines you are flying with as to what capacity and how many Lithium Ion batteries you can carry on the plane. Those restrictions are getting pretty tight theses days and each airline is different. Plan well ahead. Qantas for example

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ose-powerbanks

Good luck. Well planned and you don't need so much luck:)

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Michael Warren February 1st, 2018 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1940801)
Naturally the only items exposed properly in that photo was the equipment bags. Priorities, huh? :D

LOL!

In my defence, it was a quick cellphone picture.

Michael Warren February 1st, 2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Young (Post 1940802)
Good luck. Well planned and you don't need so much luck:)

Thank you very much Chris, for that detailed information. That's exactly the sort of thing I as looking for.