DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   New GorillaPod for Hefty Cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/134590-new-gorillapod-hefty-cameras.html)

Julian Frost September 24th, 2008 09:35 AM

New GorillaPod for Hefty Cameras

Saw this today on Gizmodo:

"As well as tweaking its Gorillapod flexible gripping tripod design in the Gogo model, to support all sorts of gadgets, Joby's now applied some real beefing-up techniques to its original camera-tripod version and created the Gorillapod Focus, designed for heavier camera gear. Made from aluminum so it weighs just 1.1 pounds itself, it can nonetheless support pro-video or SLR equipment that weighs up to 11 pounds, and of course fasten it/dangle it from all sorts of places you wouldn't normally mount a tripod. The Focus is due soon for a similarly beefed-up price of $150."

It shows a Canon XH-A1 supported by the new tripod.

Tripods: Gorillapod Focus is Muscled-Up Bendy Tripod For Hefty Cameras

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2008 09:38 AM

Moved to Special Mounts.

Thanks for posting this... I use a GorillaPod for my Elph. It's a great product.

Phil Bambridge November 11th, 2008 09:04 AM

Has anyone given this a go yet?

I'd be mounting a Panasonic DVX100B to it, which is within specified load. Intention is not just to have a portable tripod, but for low-angle shots too. I had looked at a hi-hat, but these are all pretty expensive. Would need an adapter I think, to be able to put my Vinten Pro-6HDV (aka Manfrotto 503HDV) head on it. Or would I?

Dave Allen June 4th, 2009 05:09 PM

I will going over it within 10 days, and just to let you know, Joby is selling it here for $110, including shipping.

Andy Nickless April 6th, 2010 12:04 PM

Any user feedback available yet!

I just came across this post and wondered whether anyone's got any practical experience with the Gorrilapod Focus yet?

I'm seriously interested in getting at least one for my EX1R and EX1 - and also for the GoPro HD I ordered today.

Would the focus be too cumbersome for the GoPro, maybe?

Sean Seah April 7th, 2010 11:58 PM

i have one. Ex1? No problem.

Federico Perale June 26th, 2010 08:45 AM

hi guys
any other experiences with camcorders like Z1 or EX1?

does it really work well?

Andy Nickless June 26th, 2010 10:56 AM

The Gorrilapod Focus is great - but don't take the makers' capacity claims too seriously - especially if you're shooting outdoors.

YES the Gorillapod Focus will (just about) carry a Z1 or (as I have) EX1 or EX1R - BUT it's not exactly stable with this weight on it.

If you will be shooting at wideangle and there's no more than the faintest breath of wind, it's fine but don't expect to use much zoom (if any at all) particularly if there's a breeze around. It cannot keep the camera still in these conditions.

My verdict : Well worth the money - SO USEFUL for those odd mounting positions (just like the ads say) but don't expect too much of it if you have a large camera.

Daniel J. Brant September 29th, 2010 02:33 AM

My penny's worth

Just thought I'd chip in with my tuppence worth...

I bought a Gorillapod Focus the other week because I had some shots in a short film that required getting the camera in an awkward position where a normal tripod couldn't go. A DP had one on a previous shoot and while I'd liked them, I'd resisted buying one mainly because of the £90 price tag- I seriously couldn't think of it as being something I'd use that much.

I was wrong.

It's been one of the best value pieces of kit I've bought- right up there with the B Hague dolly and two DIY worklamps I bought when my movie lights broke mid-shoot. I was using it with a Z1 and it supported it fine- as long as the legs aren't too high it's pretty stable. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it at the angle you want- particularly if you want it level. I really wish they'd put a spirit level on it, but if you've got one of the newer cameras with a built in electronic leveller, then you'll probably be fine. I didn't actually use it for the purpose it's primarily advertised for- wrapping the legs round a post or a fence to get support anywhere- so I don't know how stable it is for that, I just used it as a highly adjustable mini tripod. But I did discover another use for it...

It makes a reasonable makeshift shoulder mount! By extending one leg back and pushing it onto your shoulder and curving the other two into handgrips at the front, you can get a fairly effective shoulder mount going. Okay, it's not quite the same as a proper mount, but it did the job! Again, this was with a no-frills Z1 so it might not work with heavier cameras and I would say that you would need a camera with a high forward LCD screen like the Sonys or you won't see anything, but it did well as a Swiss army knife syle support.

If like me you jerry-rig a lot of things on a shoot, it's £90 well spent.