DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Special Mounts and Applications (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/)
-   -   Need help shopping for quick release plate (Should it be this complicated??) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/special-mounts-applications/521805-need-help-shopping-quick-release-plate-should-complicated.html)

David Barnett February 22nd, 2014 12:13 PM

Need help shopping for quick release plate (Should it be this complicated??)

Hi,

I am in need of a duplicate quick release plate. I didn't think it would be this complicated, but I'm having some trouble finding what I need?? Basically, I have a Sony VCT-1170 tripod. It's a pretty straightforward tripod, with seemingly standard sized dimensions (although it seems this model is no longer made). Anyway, I recently purchased a slider setup to use for weddings. I need a plate to attach the slider to this tripod, but don't want to interchange the plate off my camera, then onto the slider, then back onto the camera etc etc and possibly lose the plate. So I'd rather purchase another one to keep permanantly on the slider.

So I'm searching for Sony quick release plates, and mostly Chinese knockoffs come up on ebay. Not a problem really, but I guess I'm having trouble if they fit. The dimensions of the plate to tripod attaching side seem to be a little over 1.5inches by a little under 2 inches (probably something like 1.65in x 1.90in), so I think it's probably a metric measurement, unless these tend to round off. Metrically, it's about 4cm x 4.5cm, when I search for the cm very little comes up. So searching by inches some come up, like this: Camera Tripod Quick Release Plate 1 5 x 2 inches Mount Adapter for Manfrotto MBL | eBay . So I figure this is what I need.

I don't mind spending the $10 or whatever to find out, but I'm just surprised for what seems to be such a standard generic tripod plate the shopping & selection is so limited? Am I doing this right, or missing something? Wondering if anyone went thru something similar or had some feedback for me.

Thanks

Les Wilson February 24th, 2014 09:08 AM

Re: Need help shopping for quick release plate (Should it be this complicated??)

If you haven't already checked the Sony Parts dept, they may sell you one. Manfrotto has an adapter that lets you put their adapter on a tripod using the tripod plate but use all Manfrotto plates on your gear. It adds weight but does what you want functionally.

David Barnett February 26th, 2014 07:55 AM

Re: Need help shopping for quick release plate (Should it be this complicated??)

Thanks Les. I called, and TBH I'm a bit more perplexed now than I was before? :( They finally understood what I was talking about and while they don't sell it, an authorized distributor or something foes. For something like $148 dollars?? I googled the part ID & it is the right part.

I suppose I should just try a few of those knockoffs, although myb I should just go the Manfrotto route. Make everything interchangable.