DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Battery Options For Pilot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/105672-battery-options-pilot.html)

Nick Tsamandanis October 15th, 2007 07:10 AM

Battery Options For Pilot

PAG, Anton Bauer and Sony V-Mount. Any opinions?

Ted Spencer October 15th, 2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis (Post 759062)

Given the price of any of the "pro" battery options, when considering multiple batteries and a charger, none of which will be compatible with my HVX-200 batteries, I chose the AAA battery version for my Pilot, which I hope to have in my hands pretty soon (I just emailed them about the shipping date, which was reportedly sometime around now).

Given that the batteries are only used to power the 5.8" SD LCD monitor, I'm hoping a few sets of rechargeable LiIon AAAs (I already have quite a few, and a fast charger) will do the job well enough, and save me a pretty fair chunk of change.

I hope I'm not wrong!

Mikko Wilson October 16th, 2007 03:33 AM

For pro batteries, there are a coupel of factors: compatibilty and cost.

If you are allready working in an evironment where one type of battery is used, then youd desicion is allready made: get the same type.

If you arn't currently using any one type, then consider what you woudl most likly be using. If everyone in town uses PAG, then getting AB would be a bad idea. I've noticed slightly more V-mount than AB on a global scale, but even that varies .. many production & rental houses carry both, with PAG beeing a notable player in Europe too.

PAG is practically non-exsistant in the US

If you are starting from scratch, then you are down to perosnal choice and price. A E-7 or E-10 starter kit from IDX is probabaly the cheapest way to get into the game. It allows leaves the upgrade path open to Steadicam Power cubes later if you do move up to bigger rigs - note that Steadicam uses V-mount plates by default on their full line of rigs now, they are also now an IDX dealer.

But it really does come down to personal price. But whatever you go with, I'd recomend getting Li-Ion batteries, they are jsut so much easier and more convenient to work with than other chemistries.

Note that the Co-Pilot uses AA batteries, not AAA.

- Mikko

Ted Spencer October 18th, 2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson (Post 759621)
Note that the Co-Pilot uses AA batteries, not AAA.

- Mikko

Right, my mistake there - it's AA's. And the AA option is available on the regular Pilot too, not just the Co-Pilot.

I do wish I could get a sense of how many hours a set of LiIon AAs will power the 5.8" monitor, but the gentlemen I spoke to at Tiffen/Steadicam didn't know.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Kenny Shem October 19th, 2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis (Post 759062)

So fast getting the pilot? Thought you just got your vest/arm for the merlin? Haha.

Nick Tsamandanis October 19th, 2007 10:16 AM

The Pilot and Merlin use the same vest/arm.

Walter van Dusen October 19th, 2007 09:36 PM

We just pre-ordered the Pilot from B&H photo with the Anton battery system combo kit that includes two battery's and a charger. We can't wait to get the Pilot and learn how to use it during the winter..

Walter