DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Pilot - Getting Started Q & A (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/115235-steadicam-pilot-getting-started-q.html)

Joe Lawry November 26th, 2008 09:01 PM

Just took my screw and put it in a lathe.. now it works perfectly! cheers

Charles Papert November 26th, 2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Gish (Post 969493)
Every camera operator should have at least one of these...

Yes indeed, but has your screwdriver been immortalized in TV history??!!!

The very first thing I bought for my own kit (was still using a rental rig) was a mega-screwdriver with a wide bit like the one Dave illustrates but about twice as long. Many cameras back then only had a single mounting point so you had to tighten the crap out of them to keep them from rotating on you. I went for the longest one I could find to maximize torque. This sucker was menacing.

On the pilot of "Scrubs", there was a scene where the Janitor threatens Zach Braff's character with a big screwdriver. The one that the prop department provided was not nearly as imposing so I offered mine up (see it in action here, about :30 into the clip).

Towards the end of the first season, that scene was called back with a new intern arriving at the hospital, and the screwdriver made its second appearance on network TV. Too bad it didn't get residuals.

The story has a tragic end; not long after this my old friend disappeared from my frontbox. Petty thievery brought an end to our long working relationship.

Craftsman Big-Ass Screwdriver: 1988-2002. RIP.

Dave Gish November 26th, 2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 969511)
Yes indeed, but has your screwdriver been immortalized in TV history??!!!
On the pilot of "Scrubs", there was a scene where the Janitor threatens Zach Braff's character with a big screwdriver. The one that the prop department provided was not nearly as imposing so I offered mine up (see it in action here, about :30 into the clip).

Can't top that! Very cool...

Dave Gish February 21st, 2009 12:43 PM

bump..........

Charles Papert February 21st, 2009 09:22 PM

Dave, this thread is a nice resource that has received good responses so I have stickied it. Mazel tov.

Randy Panado February 22nd, 2009 03:01 AM

Great thread! Answered a lot of my questions :).

Danny O'Neill February 23rd, 2009 11:04 AM

I found something in my local hardware store to help stop the camera moving about on the stage.

In the UK in B&Q you can get Draper Slip Mat. Its like a thin, rubbery, foam like substance which feels tacky (sticky). A slice of this under your quickrelease plate (or camera) and it wont budge an inch.

I got a roll of it for about £5 although you only need a small ammount, used the rest on my dash board and rugs :)

Randy Panado February 23rd, 2009 04:36 PM

How many mid weights should I buy if I'm flying a Xh-A1 and plan to later fly an EX-1? Would 2 be enough?

Dave Gish February 23rd, 2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1017142)
How many mid weights should I buy if I'm flying a Xh-A1 and plan to later fly an EX-1? Would 2 be enough?

I would buy 8. Unfortunately, Tiffen just raised the price on middle weights from $6 each to $25 each, but it looks like you can still get the $6 price here:
Steadicam 801-7920-05 Balance Weights, Steadicam

Randy Panado February 23rd, 2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Gish (Post 1017157)
I would buy 8. Unfortunately, Tiffen just raised the price on middle weights from $6 each to $25 each, but it looks like you can still get the $6 price here:
Steadicam 801-7920-05 Balance Weights, Steadicam

Thanks for the heads up. Does the pilot come with 4 end weights already? If so, I need to call and get my order fixed to include 2 more end weights.

Dave Gish February 23rd, 2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1017307)
Does the pilot come with 4 end weights already?

The Pilot comes with 4 middle-weights and 4 end-weights. I've ordered an extra 8 middle-weights, for a total of 12. For lighter cameras like the XH-A1, I use all of my weights (12 middle weights, and 4 end weights).

Randy Panado February 23rd, 2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Gish (Post 1017339)
The Pilot comes with 4 middle-weights and 4 end-weights. I've ordered an extra 8 middle-weights, for a total of 12. For lighter cameras like the XH-A1, I use all of my weights (12 middle weights, and 4 end weights).

Okay sweet. All set then :).

Richard Siberry May 5th, 2009 08:24 AM

XHA1 with 35mm Adapter

Has anyone tried using the Pilot with an XHA1 and Letus 35mm adapter? Can it still handle the weight when using a long lens, eg. 300mm f4, approx. 3lbs? Not sure what the entire rig would weigh as I don't currently have an adapter, both it and a stabilizer are on my shopping list, just trying to determine which stabilizer.
Thanks, Rich.
Montauk Rocks - Oscail Films

Dave Gish May 5th, 2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Siberry (Post 1137861)
Has anyone tried using the Pilot with an XHA1 and Letus 35mm adapter?

See here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...f-adapter.html

Charles Papert May 5th, 2009 10:40 AM

What exactly were you thinking to shoot at 300mm on any type of Steadicam...?!!