DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Magiqcam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/13390-magiqcam.html)

Dave Largent August 17th, 2003 08:51 PM

Magiqcam

Hi,
I'm considering this stabilizer. Anyone here tried it? Are there
any other lower-cost steadicams that I should consider?
Thanks.
Dave

Rob Lohman August 20th, 2003 07:52 AM

I don't think anyone actually tried it yet...

Dave Largent August 21st, 2003 12:07 AM

LA Production People: Is This True Regarding Magiqcam?

Hi,
On another forum, a poster by the name of Ron Charles says
he has owned the Magiqcam. He went on to add: "DO A GOOGLE
SEARCH ON MAGIQCAM AND YOU WILL SEE DOZENS OF EXPERIENCED LA BASED PRO STEADICAM OPERATORS THAT USE THESE AS THERE FIELD BACKUPS OR EVEN PRIMARY UNITS!!!!!."
I didn't really see any references to this in google, although
I didn't search real deep. Anyway, I'd like to hear comment from
anyone familiar with the LA "business" scene on the use of the Magiqcam by pro operators.
Dave

Frank Granovski August 21st, 2003 01:26 AM

Since you couldn't find this with your google search, go back to that other forum and ask this fellow for a link or two. Then post the links here for us poor slobs to read about it. (I've never heard about it, and I'm in Vancouver.)

Frank Granovski August 21st, 2003 01:33 AM

Hmmm. Never mind. I just did a google search with the word Magiqcam. And like magic, all sorts of Magiqcam links appeared. The 4th link was about someone selling one. Ahhh, it's late---back to work duplicating tapes. :)

Charles Papert August 21st, 2003 02:07 AM

Dave,

The main problem with this statement is the phrase "pro Steadicam operators". Someone who uses a stabilizer for a wedding video and gets paid for the video is thus a pro...

If one is to assume a category of Steadicam operators who live in LA, are in the camera union, and do broadcast or theatrical aka features for wage (that's sort of what is implied), I will go out on a limb as a member of that group and say that I don't know of any that use this rig as their primary or secondary units. That's not limited to Magiqcam though, I don't know any that use Glidecams or Hollywood Lites either, but they may be out there.

I have seen the Magiqcam unit, although not under load. I will be performing a more in depth evaluation of it within a few weeks. I will post back my thoughts on it at the appropriate time.

Dave Largent August 21st, 2003 02:58 AM

Hi Frank,
I did request a link a day ago. No response so far. I do know
this fellow is an active poster so I imagine he will see my request.
I'll let you know the progress.

Dave

Dave Largent August 21st, 2003 03:10 AM

Charles,
I was hoping you'd see this post regarding the pros using this
unit. I think it's great you're gonna test the Magiqcam under load.
I'm sure you know well that alot of us out here who can't afford
"the real deal" are hoping this is close enough for our purposes.
I'm needing to make a decision soon so I'm looking forward to your thoughts with anticipation.
The only other owner who replied said it was "well built" and
that it "worked as well as any in the price range". Don't know
how to take this as it's the only rig in this price range that I know of.
Ever tried out the Glidecam V-8?
Thanks again,

Dave

Frank Granovski August 21st, 2003 03:34 AM

Dave, perhaps hold off a possible purchase until Charles looks the thing over again and gives us a mini-review. How much are they asking for this thing?

Steven-Marc Couchouron August 21st, 2003 03:37 AM

What camera do you plan on using with it?

I haven't tested it myself but someone on my french boards had one and recently sold it.
He was fairly happy with it but seemingly had to do a lot of custimizing and tweaking to get it to work with an XL1. Among other things, he changed the springs and added wheel bearings wich the Magiqcam didn't have. With all this work, the Magiqcam was apparently able to handle an XL1 with less than 5kg load total.
It seems the arm is better adapted to short cams like the PD150 or DVX100.

It will be very interesting to hear what Charles has to say about it. You can probably assume that you get what you pay for... but with some tweaking and customizing...

Dave Largent August 21st, 2003 04:37 AM

Hi Frank & Steven-Marc,
They make two models. One is rated at 1-5 lbs for $1450.
The other has a beefier arm and is rated at 4-15 lbs for $1650.
You can see the demo of the unit @
www.magiqcam.com/demopage.html. Some people say they
aren't impressed with the demo but I thought it was pretty good.
There's no way you could do what they did on the demo hand held.
You two should check it out. Let me know your opinions.
By the way, the arms are two-section (rather than one-) for good range.
Dave

Dean Harrington August 24th, 2003 04:28 PM

Charles....

I would very much be interested in what you find out about this rig.

Wayne Orr August 24th, 2003 11:28 PM

Awhile back, I got into it with the owner of Magiqcam on another site, and he told me I was out of line in my unfavorable remarks aobut his gear. He went to tell me that professional camera operators in Los Angeles were using his gear, so I asked for names. He gave me two names. Number one was listed in the Cinematographers Guild as a camera assistant. Not an operator. Number two was not listed in the guild book, but he insisted that the fellow worked at Sony Pictures. I contacted this chap and turns out he works in web development at Sony. Hardly a professional camera operator.

In regards to what is wrong with the demo, the operator does not seem to be able to keep the horizon level. The camera is floating all over the place. And the movement is pretty basic stuff.

Maybe he has a decent product, but his business practices are very suspect. You would be wise to wait for Charles review.

Wayne Orr, SOC

Frank Granovski August 25th, 2003 12:20 AM

Thanks Wayne. I missed that one about getting into "with the owner of Magiqcam on another site." By the way, that's a lot of money for a stabilizer.

Andrew Petrie August 25th, 2003 10:16 AM

I'd also wait for Charles' review. I do miss Wayne's opinions though, I'm more of a no-bs kinda guy as well and don't like sugar coating or being too political when a product or service isn't what it's cracked up to be. I have nothing to say about the Magiqcam specifically, a review by an experienced op will be a great help. I'd wait.