DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam Training (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/137500-glidecam-training.html)

Tim Sargent November 10th, 2008 04:21 AM

Glidecam Training

After over a year of being a GC4000 owner, im still no further forward with it.

Never been able to balance it properly with my Z1 or DVX.

Im now at the point of wanting to invest in some kind of training, tuition or DVD that will assist me with the setup. The only training I've seen is in the States, nothing in the UK.

I've seen Smoothmoves DVD, which I might be able to get shipped to the UK?

Any ideas, really appreciated. Cheers.

Buba Kastorski November 10th, 2008 01:17 PM

Hey Tim,
how often do you fly?
I understand that theory is important, but to me no more than, not even equal to practice,
I'd say the art of steadicam is more about practice, but that's how I'm getting it, I fly my rig every/other day 15 - 20 min, and I can see the improvement after 3-4 month since I've got the pilot

Peter Chung November 10th, 2008 03:16 PM

Terry Thompson from indicam.com has a Stabilizer Basics DVD.

Steadicam also has remastered their EFP Training Video to DVD.

They are both great training DVDs at very reasonable prices.

Tim Sargent November 10th, 2008 03:49 PM

Thanks guys for your replies.
Yeah, I think the key is practice AND patience. I am definatley getting there, but just cant seem to get it perfect. Will check out the training dvds.

Terry Thompson November 11th, 2008 12:53 AM

Tim,

I know the frustration. I personally spent many a day figuring out the sled I bought. When we finally developed our own system (Indicam PILOT) we learned a great deal about operation and rig dynamics as well as many shortcuts which we incorporated in our training DVD "Stabilizer Basics". We priced it where those who needed it could afford it.

Tery
Indicam

Charles Papert November 11th, 2008 12:50 PM

Practice IS important, but only if one is operating correctly to begin with! Like everything else, if you learn wrong, you will likely never get where you need to go. There are many common mistakes that are made when folks "self-teach" themselves how to operate a stabilizer--a lot hinge around the operating hand (the one on the post); where and how you hold the post (hint: just under the gimbal, and very lightly).

Buck Forester November 11th, 2008 01:10 PM

I have a Glidecam 4000 Pro and I'm finding it very difficult to get 100% balanced, and when I think it's really close as soon as I slowly start walking it goes out of whack. Does this video noted in this thread cover in detail about balancing the rig? And does it cover handheld sleds a lot, because I don't care about the full vest support systems for what I'll be doing in the field. Gracias.

Terry Thompson November 11th, 2008 08:05 PM

Buck,

I just noticed you live in Lincoln and we are in Auburn. Send me an email through our website shown at the bottom of this post and include your phone number and we will see if we can help you with the balancing problem. You could also get our "Stabilizer Basics" training DVD if you want. It is really helpful in using any rig.

The biggest difference between handheld sleds and a full vest and arm version is that you have to concentrate on the framing etc while your arm hurts. With the support system you do need to keep and eye on your arm elbow to make sure you don't hit anything.

Most of the information in our training DVD concerning the sled applies to both handheld and support held. We do cover how to rough balance and then fine balance a sled as well as dynamically balance it.

With your sled, do you know if it has been fixed so that it will balance linearity. The way to test this is to balance it (two second or more drop time) facing forward and then pan the camera in the opposite direction. If is swings out you have a gimbal linearity problem and that has to be corrected before you can dynamically balance your rig. Glidecam is good about helping so, if you do have a problem, contact them. They are good people.

Tery
Indicam

Buck Forester November 13th, 2008 01:25 PM

Terry, well shoot dang, if I had known there was a stabilizer company in my backyard I would've gone Indicam in a heartbeat! I will get the DVD.

Primarily I will be flying the camera for short distances while on hiking trips so a full vest/arm isn't practical. But there are shorter hikes where it might be feasible and I just checked out your website and the price looks good.

Will my new Glidecam 4000 Pro work with your Pilot vest/arm setup?