DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Indicam Pilot Review at EventDV magazine (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/138900-indicam-pilot-review-eventdv-magazine.html)

Peter Chung December 3rd, 2008 02:47 PM

Indicam Pilot Review at EventDV magazine

I've been using the Indicam Pilot for over 2 years now and wrote a review of it, which has been published by EventDV magazine. The online version is up at:

EventDV.net: In the Field: Indicam Pilot

Don Bloom December 3rd, 2008 03:55 PM

nice review. Well thought out and written.
Thanks

Don

Charles Papert December 4th, 2008 04:14 AM

Good review Peter.

I know the Indicam doesn't have adjustments available at the vest/arm attachment point but I would recommend that you consider modifying your system to allow for this--your arm is taking a slightly alarming attitude, as I'm sure you can tell while wearing it (the sled wanting to pull away and left). Ideally the vertical members of the arm should be perpendicular to the ground, which allows the rig to float naturally in the right spot while standing comfortably, not requiring the right hand to hold it there. I think you would find operating much more enjoyable if this was re-aligned.

Is it possible the vest is rotating on your torso to create this issue? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Peter Chung December 4th, 2008 11:40 AM

Thanks, Don and Charles!

Charles, you're right, the Indicam doesn't have socket block adjustments or a no-tools arm spring adjustment like Steadicams do. Therefore, I've had to make some adjustments/compromises. Because I use different configurations throughout the wedding day, I don't have the luxury of adjusting the spring tension on the fly. So I set the springs up for my heaviest setup so that it doesn't droop with an on-camera light and battery (heaviest setup). With the setup in the photos, the spring is set tighter so the rig likes to stay floating higher than parallel to the ground. However, I can do the "Look Ma, no-hands!" trick with the rig floating in front of me hands-off, albeit the rig is higher than parallel. I don't have to fight the rig and can boom more easily since it likes to rest a little higher and I just slowly release my hands.

With the Steadicam Pilot (I currently have both Pilots and need to get rid of one of them soon :( ), the spring tension is no-tools adjustable and you can adjust the socket block to get the rig to rest exactly where you want it. I only wish the Steadicam's gimbal was also no-tools adjustable like the Indicam... that would make the Steadicam Pilot almost perfect along with some sort of gimbal sleeve to make the post thicker (just my operating preference).

Thanks for pointing out your observations, Charles. You are always so insightful and helpful... I didn't even know what a socket block adjustment was until you explained it to me a long time ago :) I owe much of my Steadicam and operating knowledge to you and your generous sharing of your expertise in the craft!

Terry Thompson December 5th, 2008 05:52 PM

Peter and Charles (both great guys by the way),

We do have a poorman's front to back socket block adjustment which only needs to be done once as far as we can tell. At least I have only had to make the adjustment once for myself as the angle that my arm leaves my vest hasn't changed I wish I could say it had as that would mean that I have lost weight.

This adjustment is done by putting a washer on the bottom bolt of the "U" connector where the arm hooks into the vest. This moves the angle of the connection towards the body which is usually the direction needed. The adjustment can be from 0 to 3 washers if needed. It's not as fancy as other socket block adjustments but it works and we can still give a very good stabilizer at a very good price. No price increases for two years and holding.

By the way, our gimbal has changed a bit from the one pictured. Still CNC manufactured but slightly different and it's flat black. New gimbal is shown in this other thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/stabilize...-right-me.html

Looking forward to seeing Charles at NAB. He might have a surprise for us there.

Tery
Indicam