DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam HD4000 with x10 Trial (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/142897-glidecam-hd4000-x10-trial.html)

Sean Seah February 2nd, 2009 11:02 AM

Glidecam HD4000 with x10 Trial

I had a chance to mess with a loaner and put this little clip together. I think the new sled is a big improvement from the old but unfortunately the gimbal cannot be ajusted. Hence, no quick and dirty low mode.

Compared to the Steadicam Pilot, it still has quite a bit to catch up but that explains the price position.

I'm not an expert so do feel free to give your comments on what kinda of shots you like to to see me try out. I figured out some booming shots would be nice. I have the unit for a couple more days b4 returning it so pls advice! Thanks!

Glidecam HD-4000 and x10 Test on Vimeo

Barry Uddstrom February 2nd, 2009 08:07 PM

Sean,

Is the method of adjustment on the top plate very good, nice and fine?

I could notice quite a bit of bounce with the x10 arms in your video, does this cause you much problem with keeping the camera steady? or is this just the system working.

How did you find it for setting up, getting the balance etc.

When you say "Compared to the Steadicam Pilot having a bit to catch up on" are you referring mainly to the new Sled or in general, arm and sled combined

Sorry so many questions but are thinking of getting a Glidecam.

Looking forward to more videos (-:

Thanks.

Sean Seah February 3rd, 2009 01:00 AM

Hi Barry. To be fair, I think the bounce is more of an operator issue. The bounce u see was the initial shots I did. I did manage some pretty smooth shots after some practise. I didnt do much tuning to the arms to try out the different tensions. Perhaps if I added more weights to the sled, more tension could be applied to reduce the bounce. At the time of operation, the bounce was a little annoying at times. I'm not sure if it all rigs are like this but I find that the steadicam Pilot has less bounce. Even between the 2 rigs we had, one had less bounce so I think it could be reduced.

As for the comparison to the Steadicam Pilot, it applys to both the sled and the rig. Sled wise the glidecam has a decent stage but the Pilot's design is more elegant and compact. However the large stage was very nice for the EX1 thou. I managed to balance it quite quickly.

The x10 has pretty big arms compared to the Pilot's. Tuning on the Pilot is easy and tool less. Hence I find that the steadicam is a more refined equipment but one has to pay a premium for it.

In short, if you have the cash go for the best in the class.

John Estcourt February 3rd, 2009 02:02 AM

Hi Sean, here in the UK the price of the new glidecam HD4000 pro is exactly the same as the Merlin so that is quite interesting.
Previously they were in different price brackets with the merlin being quite a bit more expensive than the 4000pro.
I dont know if you have used a merlin before but it would be interesting to see which is better for hand held use and then when an arm/vest is added.
so i suppose my other question would be is the HD pro worth the price increase over the 4000pro.
cheers john

Sean Seah February 3rd, 2009 05:09 AM

Hi John. I operate merlins frequently. Personally I find that it is easier to achieve smooth shots with the glidecam than the merlin. Could be due to operator experience but I had a Indicam Pilot previously and the sled was like a glidecam Pro on steriods. It was great for smooth shots and not too difficult for inexperienced person to handle. I was very happy with it.

The merlin requires a lot more practise to achieve something similar but the weight and construction offers great advantages for booming shots (eg: low to high) and endurance (lightweight) for handheld work.

If u intend to work with a vest and arm, the choice would be tough. Reason is I find the steadicam arms are better than the x10, but the glidecam sled easier to handle than the merlin. I noticed many merlin users upgraded to the Steadicam Pilot as your shots will be limited by the merlin on the arms. The monitor is required to realise its full potential for different maneuvers.

Getting the x10 plus glidecam HD will allow the LCD modification while it is not possible with the merlin option.

John Estcourt February 3rd, 2009 06:41 AM

Sean, thanks for the detailed reply much appreciated and very helpful.

cheers john

Terry Thompson February 9th, 2009 02:51 PM

Hi Sean,

Haven't heard from you in a while. I'm glad you are contributing to this website. Information from an experienced operator makes learning for others so much easier.

You are on a webpage on our new "Under Construction" website:
Indicam.com - Weddings
You can "mouse over" your picture to see another shot.

We hope it is OK to keep you there until we get another person to fill your spot. You were a fine customer.

Tery
Indicam

Sean Seah February 10th, 2009 12:38 PM

No problems Terry. Indicam is still my No 1 on the customer service dept :) In fact I have just looked thru what I shot in the indicam early last year. Unfortunately it is military stuff so I cant share those shots with ya but some were pretty cool.

Sean Seah February 13th, 2009 09:51 AM

Had a shoot with the Steadicam Pilot n it is confirmed that the bouncing is a lot less on a steadicam arm.