DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   New stabilizer arm? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/21315-new-stabilizer-arm.html)

Cosmin Rotaru February 19th, 2004 11:46 AM

I'll add: this is not the first stabilizer arm made by Charles K. (just the best looking one :) ).

So, trust him! He knows what he's doing! :)

Charles King February 20th, 2004 02:21 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence Cosmin :)

Lars, the arm is done its just that I'm waiting for springs. I'm having 16 plugs being machined for them at the moment.

Lars Gustav March 5th, 2004 10:11 AM

put me down for a copy

Could you put me down for a copy of your book Charles? BTW, is it done almost?

Charles King March 5th, 2004 11:50 AM

No problem Lars. You are probably the 20th person to request a copy. Just keep checking the HBS forum forum for any updates on this issue. I'm glad to see there are folks interested. Puts a smile on my face.

Me. I'm anxious to get my hands on Charles P. training video when it comes out.

BTW, Charles P. I made mention of this in my book, a little PR for you, so I hope you don't mind.

Charles Papert March 5th, 2004 02:27 PM

Nice Charles, thanks much!

I am back on track with that project after a few months of work. I popped by the Tiffen workshop in Malibu a couple days ago and had some chats with various of the luminaries about the video: Jerry Holway, Garrett Brown etc. GB may make a small cameo in the video if we can schedule it. I'm actually getting excited about going into production on the damn thing.

Charles King March 5th, 2004 05:02 PM

Wow! all three amigoes. Yepeee! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Charles King March 26th, 2004 12:08 AM

Alright Charles P. Here are some pics of the fore & Aft adjustments I made for the arm that you had asked me about. I didn't have any pics of it then but now I've taken a few:

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/foreandaftadjustments.html

Charles Papert March 26th, 2004 01:53 AM

Looks good CK. It took me a little while to figure out the components, in that the section that appears to be the end component of the arm (with the U configuration) and the socket block seem to both have holes at their mating point, and in the assembled pic a bolt holds them together, is that right? With the two lateral bolts providing stability and setting the pitch of the arm.

Charles King March 26th, 2004 04:56 AM

Thanks for the comment... yes, you are right, a bolt holds the arm connector to the block. The pitch thing really makes the difference as I pointed out on the page. Glad I did it.

BTW, what design method is Magiqcam going to take to add that feature to their system? You had mentioned that they were going to do it after you had discussed it with them.

Cosmin Rotaru March 26th, 2004 07:05 AM

Hi Charles,
Hi Charles,

The piece "foreandaftadjustments3" - the U shaped part is tight with two screws on the rectangular shape. Maybe you could make the rectangular piece a bit rounded where it gets in touch with the U shaped piece. Or the U shaped part coul be rounded or just a litle V shaped on that edge. Or just insert some kind of balancing... thing, between the two parts, in the midle of the distance between the two screws... You'll than use the two screws to adjust the arm in the other plan?
The screws seems to be to close one to the other, though, for this...

You have two adjusting screws on one side. What about the other side? It seems to me that the screw used for the pivoting is getting some headache in there :) What metric is that particular screw? I hope is strong enough!

Anyway, is looking verry good. I'm already used to see this kind of work from you!

Charles King March 26th, 2004 09:52 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Cosmin Rotaru : Hi Charles,
Hi Charles,

The piece "foreandaftadjustments3" - the U shaped part is tight with two screws on the rectangular shape. Maybe you could make the rectangular piece a bit rounded where it gets in touch with the U shaped piece. Or the U shaped part coul be rounded or just a litle V shaped on that edge. Or just insert some kind of balancing... thing, between the two parts, in the midle of the distance between the two screws... You'll than use the two screws to adjust the arm in the other plan?-->>>

Wanna do a little diagram to help me understand your idea?

<<<--The screws seems to be to close one to the other, though,
You have two adjusting screws on one side. What about the other side? -->>>

Not really necessary. I thought the same thing too but when I tested it as it is it seemed to work any way. But I'm still testing it a little just to be sure.

It seems to me that the screw used for the pivoting is getting some headache in there :) What metric is that particular screw? I hope is strong enough!

<<<-- Anyway, is looking verry good. I'm already used to see this kind of work from you! -->>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Cosmin Rotaru March 29th, 2004 09:43 AM

Hi Charles,

I have e-mailed you a small diagram. I'd have liked to link it here so others could see it and maybe contribute with other solutions or just share a thought... Unfortunately, I have some problems with the ftp right now...

Maybe by now you already figured out a better solution!