DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam 2000 Diet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/21840-glidecam-2000-diet.html)

George Ellis February 23rd, 2004 10:01 PM

Glidecam 2000 Diet

I have been using a GC2K for about two years. This year, I have started having issues with my rotor cuff in my shoulder that is compounded by the weight. I am using a Bogen/Manfrotto quick release so I can switch to a 3063 (it is the hex style adapter). I have a Sony TRV520 with the F960 battery. So, quick release equals about a pound or more, battery equals a pound, camera is about 3 pounds. I need a camera diet.

I just bought a VX2100, so my budget is mostly gone. I was thinking of buying an entry-level, read cheap, DV camera in the $300 range to do with the GC. Since I use it wide all the time, I figure I can get away with it. Yes, I would rather have a PD-10, but... I figure with a 'cheap' camera, I can leave it mounted directly. So, I might be able to do a 1 pound plus camera and save my shoulder.

Mostly, I use the GC for candid stuff. This year, I probably shot half of my tape on the GC for high school band close ups in the stands, on the field "action" shots during practice, candid shots of the band members either playing or goofing around.

Thoughts?

Rob Lohman February 24th, 2004 05:23 AM

Usually it's very hard to mask the differences between camera's.
But that, ofcourse, depends on which camera's you will be using.
My advice would be to try it out (if possible) before you buy it.
Perhaps you can visit a shop and test one and record it to tape.
Then get out your current camera and shoot in the store as well.
Try to match the footage when you get home.

Rick Bravo February 24th, 2004 11:07 PM

A different perspective.

George,

Coming from someone who has had two rotator cuff surgeries, both shoulders, and the last one was done July of 2003, I can probably suggest some additional insight to your problem.

Taking a little weight off the camera will probably not do you much good. If the cuff is being impinged, holding up a cup of water should cause you a fair amount of discomfort. I found that I was compensating for the pain by tucking my arm in tight when extending it to grab something.

If your problem is just starting, first, DO NOT FORCE IT! You do not want to tear it. I would suggest going to a good orthopedic surgeon for a check-up. More than likely, your problem can be taken care of pretty simply with a little therapy and strengthening. Sadly, I had torn both of mine and the therapy helped but did not solve the problem. Make sure that your doctor specializes in these types of sports injuries and is not "scalpel happy". The surgery is a piece of cake but the recovery and therapy is brutal. Avoid the knife if possible.

You can buy different resistances of Thera-Band tubing and do exercises at home or at the office. It only takes a few minutes.

Check out a review and explanation of Thera-Bands at:

http://www.exercise-equipment-review...herabands.html

The link to purchase doesn't work but you can do a quick Google search and find tons of places to buy.

Good luck, RB.

George Ellis February 25th, 2004 06:45 AM

Regarding the rotator cuff, it is more like a little garbage. I have not torn it, just junked it up a little. That gets inflamed after hard use. Jeez, just getting old.

Funny thing is, I read about the arm brace and that has never been my issue. Too much like Popeye I guess. :) I can work through 2 tapes over 8 hours and then it is time for Bayer Back and Body Pain, but just for the shoulder.

George Ellis February 26th, 2004 12:59 PM

Update:

After a trip to Best Buy today, it looks like a Panasonic will be the winner. Why? Loading. Most of the small cameras have some component that would not all the camera to be mounted on the GC2K deck.