DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Cody Designs Group Buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/41992-cody-designs-group-buy.html)

Armando Ferreira April 20th, 2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
A very interesting thread! - Definatly a good idea.

Also (not to discount the project, which I see as a good one) this is also working as a good demonstration as to why these things cost so damn much!
Most people scoff at the cost of, say, a Steadicam Ultra ($66,000) -"Oh i could get one built for under $10k I'm sure" - but you can see how quickly all these little things ad up!

- Mikko

Yeah, the thing is that you have to buy that $66,000 to copy or duplicate something like that. And chances are nobody will buy one to replicated it. The profit on that thing must be INSANE!! Heck, all you have to do is just sell one a year. I can't see a system costing more than a vehicle, heck I'll take a FULLY LOAED BMW M3 for that price!

Armando Ferreira April 20th, 2005 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch
I'm going to have to bail out of the potential group buy. I have a friend who is going to build one for me!!! Good luck to you all.

Kevin

No worries, Im going there tomorrow to drop off the books and start again with the quotation. Hopefully everything goes good! pricing will be available in a few days now probably early next week.

Leigh Wanstead April 20th, 2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armando Ferreira
Yeah, the thing is that you have to buy that $66,000 to copy or duplicate something like that. And chances are nobody will buy one to replicated it. The profit on that thing must be INSANE!! Heck, all you have to do is just sell one a year. I can't see a system costing more than a vehicle, heck I'll take a FULLY LOAED BMW M3 for that price!

Hi Armando,

Return to the old topic I started, there are patents on ultra package which Tiffen won't let you copy or duplicate for your goodness. I guess that Tiffen has enough resource for that legal purpose.

Anyway, one patent may cost millions of dollar to research and develop. This money spent must be earned back through selling products. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The DVD maybe cost one dollar to manufacture, but <The Lord of the Rings> on the DVD on the shelf of video shop may cost you $77.98.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Regards
Leigh

Matt Gettemeier April 20th, 2005 07:02 PM

I want a friend who'll build a Cody rig for ME... all I have is a friend that did a mosaic of me on my garage floor using 1/8" tiles... in full color.

I doubt he'd be willing to go to the trouble to build me a Cody rig though...

Armando Ferreira April 20th, 2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
Hi Armando,

Return to the old topic I started, there are patents on ultra package which Tiffen won't let you copy or duplicate for your goodness. I guess that Tiffen has enough resource for that legal purpose.

Anyway, one patent may cost millions of dollar to research and develop. This money spent must be earned back through selling products. There is no such thing as a free lunch. The DVD maybe cost one dollar to manufacture, but <The Lord of the Rings> on the DVD on the shelf of video shop may cost you $77.98.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Regards
Leigh

HEHE, believe me I have no interest in "copying" their design. And even if they had no patents, I have better things to invest $66K in. But I do understand that R&D cost money.

Roger Moore April 20th, 2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armando Ferreira
No worries, Im going there tomorrow to drop off the books and start again with the quotation. Hopefully everything goes good! pricing will be available in a few days now probably early next week.

Okay, sounds good!

Mike Cook April 21st, 2005 07:00 AM

Let me know, I may be in depending on price

Leigh Wanstead April 21st, 2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Let me know, I may be in depending on price

Hi Mike,

I am interest to know your price range if you don't mind me asking.

TIA
Leigh

Jon Omiatek April 28th, 2005 11:20 AM

I am in the process of building cody's design. I purchased all of the materials and the cost of welding two of the pieces for under $500. If you did these in an assembly type fashion, it wouldn't take too long to make a bunch. I was thinking a fair price would be approximately $1200. I watched one go on eBay with LCD and battery for $1850. Considering the LCD was under $200 and battery was $20, That's $1630 for the system.

From what I have found, the time to build one of these units, non-assembly type, just one is approximately 40hrs. I have about 4 hours in mine and that is just for the sled. I am working on the arm and vest. I would assume that it should take me approximately less than 20 hours to finish. That puts my labor time at approximately 25 hrs which doesn't include the research to buy all of the materials, picking up materials, taking them to have them welded. I also have access to all of the tools you will need in one location and didn't have to contract the cutting of the raw materials. My sister is sewing the vest for me, at no charge and at no time expense.

25hrs X $25(most shops charge 50 per hour) = $625
Cost of materials = $500
Total = $1125 +or-

I would sell mine when I am done for $1200 considering it would be much easier to build a second and or third.

Good luck on the group buy. I wish mine was done already, if I wasn't such a Do It Yourself kinda of guy, I would buy one for $1200

Aaron Koolen April 28th, 2005 03:26 PM

Just a little side track - I thought there was an "upgraded" arm design that had a book to go with it, but I can't seem to find the book for that? I have the original one and before I start I'd like to get the book for the upgraded arm. Anyone know where I can get it from?

Aaron

Charles King April 28th, 2005 06:58 PM

Aaron, go to HBS forum and click at the banna at the top of the very top and it will take you another link. Just clink on Cody's book and you'll see the other book.

Aaron Koolen April 28th, 2005 08:08 PM

Thanks Charles, but what is the HBS site URL? I don't have it anymore and the only one I know of is www.homebuiltstabilizers.com and I keep getting "Under Construction" on that one. I've tried, .org and other ones but still no go.

Cheers
Aaron

David Yuen April 28th, 2005 10:25 PM

Googling "Cody Deegan"

http://www.codydeegan.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/stabilizer

Charles King April 29th, 2005 12:35 AM

The HBS site is going through a major update with a totally new look, as well as the forum. Although you website s down you can still access the forum.

Aaron Koolen April 29th, 2005 12:47 AM

Ahh OK, but what is the URL ;)

Cheers
Aaron