DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   glidecam 4000 pro, dont like how it spins... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/490152-glidecam-4000-pro-dont-like-how-spins.html)

Dave Morgan January 13th, 2011 10:00 PM

glidecam 4000 pro, dont like how it spins...

here is a video of what i am taking about. are there stabilizers this style that don't spin like that? or is it important that it spins like that? i could be my weight is not balanced perfect but i just think its annoying.

it seams like the video footage would look the same if it didn't spin.
the glidecam 4000 pro is around 369.99 so is there something better for around the same price.

thanks for the input.

YouTube - glidecamSpin.mp4

Tom Wills January 13th, 2011 10:38 PM

I see quite a few problems with how you've got that set up! I'd take a step back and read the manual. First off, the quick release plate is mounted all the way to the front of the top stage (the part that allows you to balance), it's mounted sideways so your camera is pointing the wrong way (the top stage should have brass knobs on the sides of it and underneath - not on the front and back and underneath!), and because of these, the adjustments on your top stage are way out of whack! Also, just to confirm, the bottom of the sled should go from front to back, with the long direction of it parallel to the lens direction. Look at some pictures on the Glidecam site, you'll get it.

The rig looks quite out of balance too, as it should sit perfectly still and perfectly vertical when just being held up, and it doesn't seem to. I'd fix the problems with what's going on up top first. Then, in terms of the base, a trick to getting things in balance in all directions is to use the same amount of weights front and back, at the same distance (all the way out, if possible). Then, once it's balanced well, it should spin perfectly flat.

Also, if you do want to spin the Glidecam, do it by holding it below the gimbal, like you normally would. Touching any point outside of where your hand would normally go will throw the rig quite off balance, which could make you think you're having balance problems when you aren't.

Hope this all helps. Take your time, the people who are really good at this have been doing it for years! I've been playing with Steadicams in a serious way since about 2008, and I still am not calling myself a professional!

Terry Thompson March 4th, 2011 12:45 PM

Re: glidecam 4000 pro, dont like how it spins...

Dave,

I just read this post as we have been busy building rigs and haven't been on this site as often as we would like. Even though I couldn't see your video (it was removed) I can get the gist from Tom's comments. He is right about the balancing thing. The most time consuming and important part of steadicam use is the "balancing thing". It takes a while to get it right but after you do, your video will look nice. I've set up and balanced a number of Glidecam systems and since they are similar to ours in many ways they have worked well.

A hint...balance your system on a balancing stand so you can see the effects of your adjustments quickly. We use a wide based mic stand (wighted so it won't tip over) with an adapter that we include with our rig. It is so much easier. I give some suggestions in the post "Stabilizer Basics" on this website. Read that comment from me and it will explain what Tom and I are talking about.

For all I know, you might already have your rig working well as I write this.

Tery