DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Merlin (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/51648-steadicam-merlin.html)

Ronald Lee November 9th, 2005 05:58 PM

Ok, any better indication of when it is out AND WHAT IS THE BEST price you've found for it? Real price, not a magazine bait and switch price...

I'm in Canada

Roland Lioni November 14th, 2005 04:45 AM

Manual now online (http://www.steadicam.com/handheldmerlin.html)

regards Roland

Tim Langston November 29th, 2005 07:12 PM

Thought I'd bring this back to the top of the list.....any news on the Merlin?

Tim

Mikko Wilson November 29th, 2005 07:20 PM

I've heard rumors it should be out very soon (days) ;-)

- Mikko

John C. Chu December 5th, 2005 09:27 PM

Well, it's December, and still no word on the Merlin.

Anyone think it will finally be out before the end of the month?

Kris Holodak December 10th, 2005 04:59 PM

I've had mine on order from B&H since September (I think. Actually it's been long enough that I don't remember exactly). I talked to the B&H guys at the Govt Video Expo in DC last week and none of them had any idea. Weren't even willing to take a guess. So if they've heard rumors, they aren't sharing. I'm trying to forget that I've ordered it so that when it finally turns up it'll be like a like a surprise Christmas present.

Ash Greyson December 10th, 2005 10:33 PM

My friend pre-ordered one 2 and a half months ago and still nothing... I think it was originally supposed to come out by 11/15

ash =o)

Brent Ethington December 18th, 2005 05:58 PM

B&H shows IN STOCK

fyi. B&H now shows the Merlin as In Stock...

Mikko Wilson December 18th, 2005 06:36 PM

Thanks brent!

- Mikko

Jim March December 21st, 2005 09:07 PM

It's been a long wait, but my Merlin showed up at my door about 10am this morning.

It certainly has a learning curve, but so far I'm loving it!

Dan Tolbertson December 21st, 2005 11:52 PM

keep us in the loop to your thoughts on it.

Kris Holodak December 22nd, 2005 08:47 AM

mine's in too

Mine came in Tuesday at lunch. Just in time for me to head off to a holiday party and then be off from work for a week. I almost brought it with me to my parents' house but decided that would be vaguely anti-social and I would get endless grief for it. They already think I work too much. Nice to have something to look forward to going back for.

Ronald Lee December 31st, 2005 04:33 PM

Hi, so the Merlin is shipping? awesome.

I'm trying to decide if it's the one to get, as the other steadicam's are much cheaper.

Do you think the price of it will depreciate in 6 months?(I'm still going to get something now, but just curious)

is it truly the best to get? it looks cool enough to be inconspicous (well, relatively ) on the street. does it work well and easily?

It's good for cameras from .5 to 5 pounds. Well the HVX200 is 5.3 pounds+. How will that affect the weighting?

And is B&H the cheapest place to get this?

thanks

ROn

Mikko Wilson December 31st, 2005 05:11 PM

Ron,
The Merlin is the cheapest actual 'Steadicam' (it's a [the original] brand) ..there are of course other companies offering cheaper alternatives, read as you will.

The price of the Merlin probabaly won't drop much (just like much equipment in this business) It's a prety expensive piece of gear to make. ..or course that gives it a high re-sale value at a later date too if needed (unlikly).

In my oppinon it is the best rig out there for cameras in it's class, though that is only my oppinon.

ANY stabilizer will take a little time to get the hang of - you might get it set up and be shooting in an hour, it may take a few more. - A couple of evenings in a week and you'll be up and running.
Of course achieving "high quality" shots will of course need pratice. These facts are true for ANY stabilizer.
However once you know how to use it, the Merlin is by far the fastest to set up and balance. (trim for example can even be done mid shot with your thumb if you are carefull) - That folding caliper is really nice!

The HVX200 WILL fly on the Merlin ... just. But that is it's upper limit, unfortuanly if you want to start adding accecories to the HVX then you will need somthing desinged for a larger camera - and very strong arms if it's a hand-held rig. One of Merlin's big features is how incredibly light it is.. you aren't holding much more then the camera..other rigs are MUCH heavier.

- Mikko

Leigh Wanstead December 31st, 2005 10:09 PM

Hi Ronald,

I can tell you a quick test to see if any hand held rig is right for you.

All you need to do is just hold the equivalent weight and last the time you plan to shoot.

For your case all you need is just use your hand hold something which weighs around 5.3pounds and see how long you can last.

FYI I manufacture stabilizer and I wear my stabilizer to hold a camera which weighs around 13.22pounds(6kg) continuously for an hour.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Ng
I'm trying to decide if it's the one to get, as the other steadicam's are much cheaper.

is it truly the best to get? it looks cool enough to be inconspicous (well, relatively ) on the street. does it work well and easily?

It's good for cameras from .5 to 5 pounds. Well the HVX200 is 5.3 pounds+. How will that affect the weighting?

thanks

ROn