DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Solo - $499 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/518786-steadicam-solo-499-a.html)

John C. Chu September 8th, 2013 07:21 AM

Steadicam Solo - $499

Looks like B&H is selling the upcoming Steadicam Solo for $499.

That is pretty darn interesting.

Yes, one can get the many assorted wannabe alternatives for less, but you don't get that proper, in my mind, gimbaled handle like the full size rigs.

That distinctive curved handle looks so much more comfortable to hold.

Steadicam Solo Stabilizer & Monopod SOLO B&H Photo Video

Ben Davies September 15th, 2013 05:11 PM

Re: Steadicam Solo - $499

Hows this going to compare to the Merlin2?

John C. Chu September 16th, 2013 07:36 PM

I guess it comes down to preference. I would assume the Solo will support heavier cams.
I glanced at B&H and noticed the Merlin 2 is on sale for $399. [Big price cut.]

The Merlin folds up and takes very little space under your camera.

Jon Fairhurst September 17th, 2013 01:03 AM

When shooting tradeshows and the like, I use a monopod. I extend it to the floor for interviews, tuck it in my belt for the human tripod thing, or hold it like a faux steady rig for camera moves.

The Solo looks like the ideal upgrade. Extend it to the floor to take the load off. I'd imagine that I could rig a belt sling for longer, non-arm-burning, human tripod shots, and when it's time to fly, having a real gimbal should really improve the shot quality. Not having a proper vest is easy on the wallet and convenient for travel, but you can only hold such a thing for so long. The monopod function should really make it practical for lightweight event use.

Ron Little September 17th, 2013 08:46 AM

Can you use it with a vest and arm? If so which one would you use?

Jon Fairhurst September 17th, 2013 10:40 AM

According to Tiffen's Derek Hester, the Pilot...

Ben Davies September 17th, 2013 11:56 PM

Think its a good time to sell my Merlin2...

Jon Fairhurst January 9th, 2014 04:10 AM

FWIW, at CES the Tiffen rep told me that the Solo will ship in March or April. Sounds like the goal is to be shipping before NAB.

Melvin Feliciano April 9th, 2014 12:11 PM

I like that the retail price is lower than the original target, but it is taking so long to release. I mean, it was announced one year ago at NAB2013.

Jon Fairhurst April 10th, 2014 11:47 AM

At NAB, they claimed that it will be released in May.

The vest & arm price will be $995. It's almost identical to the Pilot vest & arm (the rep at NAB couldn't think of one difference), so I expect that it will ship as soon as the stabilizer/pod is available.

Phil Gosselin June 16th, 2014 10:52 AM

Do you guys know anything similar from another company?

I've been in touch with the guys at Tiffen and they seems completely clueless. I've just received a reply from someone there and it was : "Last I heard is possibly August".

I love Steadicam products but I can't wait any longer thus this post

Cheers

John C. Chu June 18th, 2014 07:16 AM

What timing-- I just saw that it is in stock online. Of course, I hope they aren't just taking preorders. I don't see it on B&H yet.

Jon Fairhurst June 18th, 2014 10:37 AM

FWIW, B&H says that it will arrive on June 30th.

Alan Auld July 18th, 2014 08:19 AM

I jumped on the B&H pre-order back in December 2013. Back then they said January delivery. Then February. Then WPPI in March, then NAB, then May, June and recently released today July 18. I go to the site today and once again, the release date is gone! They say they have no ETA.

To add insult to injury, when reading this thread last fall I listed and sold my Merlin back in February....why wouldn't I if they say it will be out by March. Now I'm without a stabilzer. I told Tiffen the story and the dilema I was in and they shipped me a demo Merlin to use for the summer. Great customer service. They did add that they thought it would be the end of quarter three before we see it though.

Jon Fairhurst July 18th, 2014 05:56 PM

Bummer. At that price, they must be working with Asian contract manufacturers. I would guess that they're having unexpected quality control issues.

If that's the case, then here is the good news: Tiffen isn't shipping poor quality stabilizers under the Steadicam name. It would be much worse if they hit their schedule only to deliver poor quality products.

What do they say? "Price, quality, and schedule: pick two." The price is announced. The brand demands top quality. The schedule takes up the slack.

Hopefully, we'll see high quality, $499 Solos shipping soon. I'd really like to get one before the year is out...