DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   3 Axis Gimbal Stailizers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/518848-3-axis-gimbal-stailizers.html)

Leon Kolenda September 10th, 2013 12:49 PM

3 Axis Gimbal Stailizers

Well, I new it was just a matter of time. I want one of these very bad, but I can't justify the price over 2 Grand!
I know there is some value in what some of the newer vendors are doing to make things easier on how to set these up,but cheaper pricing, it's coming fast check this out:
Hifly DSLR 3 Axis Brushless Gimbal Handle Camera Carbon w Power Motor Controller | eBay
Anyone have any experience in setting these Gimbal Controllers up for a fair price.

Kyle Root February 14th, 2014 07:51 PM

Re: 3 Axis Gimbal Stailizers - The Ghost

I'm not sure about that one, but a buddy of mine just got The Ghost

The Ghost camera stabilizer DSLR video steadicam

I haven't seen it, or any footage, as he just sent me a message about 10 minutes ago on Facebook.

I checked out their samples on the website and it looks promising.

I've never had any kind of steadicam device, but something like this - where it takes care of everything for you in terms of balance, sure sounds appealing!

Dave Allen February 14th, 2014 10:49 PM

Re: 3 Axis Gimbal Stailizers

The problem with these is they do not stabilize the 4th vertical axis like a Steadicam would. And a Steadicam does not require a 2nd person to operate panning.

The price sure is coming down on these with new models and competition....remember Movi's $10K gimbal rig?

Patrick Janka February 15th, 2014 01:02 AM

I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a Defy G2 for my Panasonic GH3 (or soon to be GH4). It comes with a custom Pelican case, too. You do not need a second operator, as Dan mentioned, because the G2, as well as other companies offer a tilt-pan controller that you operate with your thumb on the handle. The only thing holding me back is that so far all the footage I've seen show micro-vibrations. Here's a guy testing a GH3 on a G2:

He just got the device, and from what I've read, it's a misconception that these gimbals are easy to use straight out of the box. Apparently they need practice, as well. I've watched the clips on the Ghost website, and it looks good, but I don't think he has the tilt/pan controller available, and it doesn't come with a case. Throw those in and you're not doing any better than the G2. I think all these devices pretty much do the same thing. I'd be tempted to get one of the no names off eBay, but they will have no resale value. I saw a used G2 on eBay sell right away.

Geoff Cockwill August 7th, 2014 07:09 AM

I've had the Ghost on a couple of shoots to date and was really pleased with the results. There are a few issues with it stabilizing and drifting off course during some shots but the potential for cool shots with this piece of kit (or similar) is pretty good i think.

Here's a promo for a circus performer shot on the Ghost...

Robert Turchick August 7th, 2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Allen (Post 1832297)
The problem with these is they do not stabilize the 4th vertical axis like a Steadicam would. And a Steadicam does not require a 2nd person to operate panning.

The price sure is coming down on these with new models and competition....remember Movi's $10K gimbal rig?

Anxiously awaiting the Ronin. Will be adapting it to my vest/arm. And will be adding a joystick for panning. One man operation!

Leon Kolenda August 21st, 2014 11:48 PM

I think the DJI Ronin looks very good. Here is some good info on it's latest Firmware upgrade.

3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers Now with Auto Tuning PID Settings Firmware Upgrade » CheesyCam