DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Ronin-M with Canon C100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/528266-ronin-m-canon-c100.html)

Dan Brockett May 3rd, 2015 08:12 PM

Ronin-M with Canon C100?

I know it meets the weight specs, but will the C100 physically be able to be mounted to the Ronin-M? As you may or may not know, the C100's tripod mounting plate is toward the far front of the body with quite a bit of rear overhang. I cannot located specs or information that shows if the C100 will fit as far as depth, height and width. Anyone hear anything at NAB or from DJI? It should be shipping soon, then we will know but trying to decide if I should order one or look elsewhere to shoot with my C100?

Nate Haustein May 3rd, 2015 11:53 PM

Re: Ronin-M with Canon C100?

Get out your measuring tape:

Maximum depth at center of mass on camera base plate: 4.7" / 120 mm
Maximum height measured from top of camera base plate: 7.7" / 195 mm
Maximum width: 6.3" / 160 mm

I just compared these figures to my C100 balanced with a 18-35mm on the original Ronin and it's pretty darn close. Depth back from center is about 4", height is about 7", and width is just under 6". Going by the numbers I found on B&H, it just might work...

Gary Huff May 4th, 2015 07:22 PM

It will be interesting to compare with the Movi M5. I just mounted my C100 Mark II to it today and got it working fine with the 17-55 f/2.8. I think the Ronin M will be a better option (especially with that pan/tilt control), but if I can't get my C100M2 to mount on it, I'll have to go with the M5.

Ade Towell May 5th, 2015 05:44 AM

looks like you can if you take the grip off

https://instagram.com/p/2SZoZ9j2cG/?taken-by=cinemilled

Dan Brockett May 5th, 2015 07:37 AM

Thank you all. I agree, based upon the measurements and the Instagram pic that Ade linked to, it is do-able. I was planning on no top handle, no grip, 10-18 STM IS, small battery. I remember using the Steadicam JR a decade or two ago with a Handicam and the weight, no matter how light, becomes oppressive quickly, although with the Ronin-M, at least you can somewhat brace your elbows against your body for certain moves. I am in decent shape but I recall having extremely sore back muscles when using the Steadicam JR and that was a really small and light setup. But it did require holding it at full arm extension with all of the weight on one arm. I think holding the Ronin-M with two arms, not having to fully extend it away from the body all of the time will help?

I am surprised that the body size of the C300 is the same as the C100?!? I own the C100 and periodically rent the C300 and it seems as if it is much larger but perhaps it is just all of the handle, monitor, dual cables that makes it feel bigger? Guess I will have to put one on order, I need to up my game with camera movement and have been waiting for the gimbals to shake out and settle down in price and reliability. Hopefully the Ronin-M will be a technologically Gen 2 product and hopefully they have worked out the bugs from the Ronin. I read 70% great comments about the Ronin, but about 30% from people who experienced major issues. I hate buying video gear and having it freak out and not work just when you really need it on a paying gig with clients watching, it's the worst.

Gary Huff May 5th, 2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1885719)
I hate buying video gear and having it freak out and not work just when you really need it on a paying gig with clients watching, it's the worst.

That's why you test it out beforehand.

Dan Brockett May 7th, 2015 08:24 AM

Ha, ha, yes, I just did a full day of camera tests for a big upcoming project with a client yesterday Gary, I agree. But as you know, it seems that sometimes gear works great on one project or during testing, then dies on the next. I've had it happen with cameras, drives, audio recorders, lights, etc. I actually told the same client yesterday that we should not use the Ronin-M on their project because we don't know if it will ship in time for our shooting dates and even if it does, who wants to be earliest adopter to see if it is reliable? It's a shame too because the upcoming project that begins shooting the 16th would be perfect, run and gun on the streets, following actors as they hop on and off various forms of public transportation. But the client's client will be there and the last thing I need to deal with is this impressive new gimbal system that broke down or didn't work correctly.

The worse thing you can hear from a manufacturer or retailer is, "Wow, I've never seen that happen before", even though you have heard about problems from several other users. Hopefully DJI realizes that this product is going to own the lower end market, if it is good and reliable, but in our industry, word of gear failure travels quickly.