DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/528536-feiyu-fy-g4-3-nebula-4000-lite.html)

Anthony McErlean May 26th, 2015 07:14 AM

FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite.

I was thinking of buying a FeiYu FY-G4 for my GoPro3+ and just wondered, could you use a GoPro in Nebula 4000 Lite? if so, I might be able to use my RX10 with the Nebula as well.

I know you would have to balance the Nebula for each but just thinking out loud, ..as they say :)

Noa Put May 26th, 2015 08:16 AM

Re: FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite.

Filmpower mentions on a few videos that a gopro and smartphone should be possible as well but I have not seen a video actually shot with a gopro and Nebula, best to ask the supplier if this will work.

Anthony McErlean May 26th, 2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1887572)
... best to ask the supplier if this will work.

Thank you Noa, good idea.

Anthony McErlean May 26th, 2015 08:52 AM

Well, I got an answer quicker than I thought. No, the GoPro is too light for the Nebula motors, it just won't work properly.
I can understand that when you think on it.

That's that sorted! :)

So, would the FeiYu FY-G4 be the best option at the moment for the GoPro?

Noa Put May 26th, 2015 09:19 AM

Was it filmpower that gave you that answer?

Noa Put May 26th, 2015 09:31 AM

Just asking because Filmpower has a few videos online where they say and I quote: "Nebula 4000 Lite 3-AXIS Stabilizer design for freedom motion shot.Adapt with Gopro and mobile ect under 1KG"

Anthony McErlean May 26th, 2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1887578)
..."Nebula 4000 Lite 3-AXIS Stabilizer design for freedom motion shot.Adapt with Gopro and mobile ect under 1KG"

That's interesting Noa, I contacted Production Gear in the UK, it was them who told me.
Production Gear is listed as one of their global dealers.

I will try and contact FilmPower direct and see what they say.

Thanks.

Donald McPherson May 26th, 2015 02:02 PM

After a bit of research I just bought z-one pro gimbal 3 axis at a bargain price £128. Works for me but then I'm not as fussy as some.

Anthony McErlean May 26th, 2015 02:51 PM

Hi Donald, according to Amazon's price you did get a bargain, well done.
I see there is a new one called Z-1 Pround.

Colin Rowe May 26th, 2015 03:00 PM

Where did you get it, at that price Donald ?

Mark Rosenzweig May 26th, 2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald McPherson (Post 1887616)
After a bit of research I just bought z-one pro gimbal 3 axis at a bargain price £128. Works for me but then I'm not as fussy as some.

I shot this 4K video using the Z-One Pro and the GoPro Hero 4 Black:

Chris Harding May 26th, 2015 07:17 PM

Hi Mark

I notice that all your shots are either static or straight ahead .. Have you done any shots where you go around a subject in a 360 degree circle and suchlike stedicam shots? I sold my gimbal because it simply failed miserably when I went up to a wedding couple and then did a "roundie round" sweep of them .. it jumped and staggered badly. Also you are on a smooth ground surface .. I had massive issues walking on lumpy sand like a beach .. the unit overcompensated for my body motion even in a straight line ..it was fine on grass but didn't like uneven and soft surfaces like beach sand! I went back to a mechanical stedicam after that because I need camera movements that use circling of an object/person and obviously something that can handle uneven terrain

Chris

Noa Put May 27th, 2015 01:00 AM

You seem to forget quickly Chris :) You already said this before and then I said the problems you had was because you had a 2 axis gimbal, such a gimbal does not compensate for panning motion so every twitch coming from your wrists will be visible. With a 3 axis gimbal that motion is delayed and smoothed out so you can get more natural motion.

There is a big difference however between these super light Feiyu like stabilizers and a Nebula, don't know if it's the size, the weight or just because the motors do a better job at handling motion but I found the motion on a Nebula much more controllable and smoother then on my feiyu.

About walking motion on rough terrain, I also found the Nebula was able to smooth out vibrations in a better way then the Feiyu, it's not that it will take out these walking bumps like a steadicam arm can, it doesn't do that at all and you still need to bend your knees slightly and use your arm as a steadicam arm replacement but those very small gimbal stabilizers seem to have more problems with minor vibrations.

Noa Put May 27th, 2015 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1887575)

So, would the FeiYu FY-G4 be the best option at the moment for the GoPro?

I was just thinking about it, if the size is not that important to you (since a Feiyu is much smaller and lighter then a Nebula) and if you just want to have one gimbal stabiliser you can use for a camera like a rx10 and a gopro you could add a rx10 onto the gimbal and mount the gopro on top of the rx10?

Chris Harding May 27th, 2015 01:23 AM

Hi Noa

Nope I didn't forget .. I sold the 2 axis unit and bought a 3 axis and still had the same issue but to a lesser extent especially on the 360 rotations ..it didn't judder so much .. Sadly that went back on eBay too!!!

I would suspect that a more robust unit would perform better like the Nebula with a heavier camera but my issues getting into the bigger gimbals was the weight!! I looked and a nice unit but at 1kg without the camera I figured my arms would die after 20 minutes so went back to a vest/sled arrangement. I believe that on the fancier models you can also program how much it should dampen adjustments which is good.

Chris