DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   merlin vest and arm... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/93809-merlin-vest-arm.html)

Christopher Witz May 11th, 2007 11:25 AM

merlin vest and arm...

I just demo'd the merlin vest/arm combo with the tiffen rep at Roberts camera in indianapolis a few hours ago and wow!

the vest only weighs 3 pounds!

He said it's shipping in 2 months for $1900

I want one!

Eugene Presley June 20th, 2007 04:31 PM

This could be interesting for everybody. I've got this prompt reply from Frank Rush at Steadicam/Tiffen :

Hi:

Thank you for your order for the Merlin Steadicam. Stay in touch with B&H as they have the new Arm/Vest package on order.
We expect to start shipping at the end of July in limited quantity and then more in August. Get your name on the list to be one of the first to receive the Arm/Vest package.

We appreciate your use of our STEADICAM products.

Frank Rush

Byron Huskey June 20th, 2007 06:40 PM

That's great to know! Thanks!

Tom Wills June 20th, 2007 07:27 PM

Glad I'm getting my name in now. I've been excited about this rig ever since I saw pictures of the demo at CES. Now I'm actually going to get one!

Brandon Paschal July 3rd, 2007 05:55 PM

So what's the verdict on the Vest/Arm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke (Post 677371)
I just demo'd the merlin vest/arm combo with the tiffen rep at Roberts camera in indianapolis a few hours ago and wow!

the vest only weighs 3 pounds!

He said it's shipping in 2 months for $1900

I want one!

Chris, I'm in Indy and did not know Roberts had the Merlin accessories in. What's the verdict on the vest/arm & merlin since you've given it a try?

-Brandon

Brandon Potthoff July 3rd, 2007 10:54 PM

any pics

are there any pics of this set up I am really interested in getting a set up like this and was wondering if I could see what it is going to look like. I was also wondering what the specs are I am using a Canon A1 and would like to be assured that this set up will work for the cam that I am using. Thanks
Brandon

Tom Wills July 4th, 2007 12:01 AM

This PDF has tons of information and pictures too.

http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Ste...mVest_0407.pdf

Christopher Witz July 4th, 2007 07:05 AM

it was when the Tiffen Sales Rep was there at Roberts that I demo'd it.....

and yes... i want one very bad.... it worked like a dream!

have you seen charles demo here....
http://dvinfo.net/articles/camsupport/merlinvestarm.php

be prepared for language like "finagling", "Geezer", "Muster", and "hoot"

Charles Papert July 4th, 2007 11:10 AM

Brandon:

I recently tested the setup with an A1 and it works perfectly, with and without the Canon wide angle adaptor. You will be delighted with the results.

Christopher Witz July 4th, 2007 11:22 AM

man... i knew I should not have clicked on this thread.....

I want one now.... anybody have one in stock yet? Adarama says they do... but they've said that before and left me hang'n for weeks.... never again.

I have an HDNet project coming up in 2 weeks and my merlin/Z1 combo get's heavy... I start to shake... gues I could start doing curls and in 2 weeks might gain that martina nataverola arm in time.

Charles Papert July 4th, 2007 11:24 AM

They are not shipping yet, Christopher. Sometime in the next month. I was using one of the pre-production models.

Charles Papert July 4th, 2007 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FYI, I had brought the Merlin/Arm/Vest/Canon A1 along to do some high-speed running shots on a commercial I was shooting last week on the F900, but we ended up not using it as we were able to finagle a wheeled device for me to ride on for said shots that allowed more speed than this old geezer could muster on feet alone (there you go Christopher, I used all of your favorite words again--ain't that a hoot!)

Here's the pic of the setup, which was quickly dubbed "Hannibal Lecter-Cam" (my ultra-casual pose due to the freedom from not having to wear the 65 lb rig, and being pushed around all day--virtually a desk job).

Armando Serrano August 27th, 2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 706991)
Brandon:

I recently tested the setup with an A1 and it works perfectly, with and without the Canon wide angle adaptor. You will be delighted with the results.

Charles, I'm picking up my new Merlin Arm/Vest tomorrow morning. Did you ever try using an extended battery along with the Canon W/A lens? I have both and now wondering what settings you settled on with the Merlin.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Charles Papert August 28th, 2007 01:32 AM

Congrats on the purchase.

I didn't balance with the large battery, I'm pretty used to batts that only run for an hour or so thus I don't see the need for the big one.

Don't have the settings for you other than all weights up (maybe one of the added ones that come with the package), full length arc etc.

I haven't had the A1 on the Merlin since my post above.

Armando Serrano August 28th, 2007 10:56 AM

Why use a large battery with the Merlin?

You make a good point on using the smaller batteries, why use a 6-hour source when you only need 1-hour? With the Merlin and the Canon XH A1, I should try and now use the smaller batteries to get the system to better balance.

Thank you for pointing that out.