DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Epson Stylus Photo 2000P Printing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/12803-epson-stylus-photo-2000p-printing.html)

Ken Tanaka August 3rd, 2003 11:27 PM

Epson Stylus Photo 2000P Printing

I have this printer and often have trouble with a greenish tint when printing from Photoshop 7 (Mac). I have scoured all of the documentation and notes I could find concerning getting accurate colors but have still not found a reliable solution. I also use the most recent driver for this printer.

Does anyone know what color profile I should use in Photoshop and/or in the print set-up to get the best color results? I've been using "Adobe RGB 1998" at the Photoshop end but it seems to make no difference.

Adrian Douglas August 4th, 2003 08:16 AM

This is a major issue with consumer printers. Monitors are RGB but consumer printers are CMYK. This will always result in differences between what you see on the monitor and what you end up with from your printer. Unfortunately I have never found a way to be 100% sure of what you will get and if you do find one I'd love to know.

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 08:38 AM

Ken, have you run the printer head check, no partial clogs? How heavy a cast? If it's very heavy double check you don't have cartridges installed wrong. I've had students put in the wrong inks and that can give similar results.

Most likely, a color sync issue. Are you using any custom profiles for non Epson paper or inks? Have you downloaded the latest drivers from Epson? Are you doing Print with Preview?

Ken Tanaka August 4th, 2003 10:34 AM

Jeff,
The greenish cast is light but strong enough to be noticeable even to casual viewers.

This has gone on through several cartridge replacements.

Yes, all drivers are current (according to Epson's site). No head clogs. Test pages print perfectly.

Have been using only Epson papers (Archival Matte and Premium Semi-Gloss) in the printer.

Yes, I always do a Print with Preview and all looks fine.

I downloaded the PIM II plug-in but that's really little help, since it's designed to merely preserve color information in files that have compatible color profiles embedded.

I guess my search for synch continues.

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2003 11:49 AM

How do you calibrate your monitor? Hardware or software?

Ken Tanaka August 4th, 2003 12:12 PM

Software presets. I've been using either the "Adobe RGB 1998" profile (while working on graphics in PS), the "SMPTE-C" profile (video) or the "Apple Cinema" profile.

BTW, as odd as it sounds my HP OfficeJet G85xi often beats the pants off of my Epson in terms of good looking color output (on premium paper).

I've done a bit more experimenting with the 2000P. No great results yet, but variations suggest that the matter is clearly related to the print color profile.

More later.

Jeff Donald August 12th, 2003 06:42 AM

I've been doing some research into this issue and have recently come across several articles that refer to the profiles losing their white point reference. If you look at the print in a white area do you see faint wash of dots (usually cyan, but in your case green)? If so, the printer profile has lost it's white point. The Adobe Conversion Engine is prone to this (or so I've read). In PS got Edit>color settings and change the conversion engine to Kodak. If the Kodak Engine is not present, you can edit the printer profile, but it's a little more work.

Ken Tanaka August 12th, 2003 09:55 AM

Thank you very much for the update, Jeff. The Kodak profile does not appear to be installed here. I will do some more digging in this direction and get back.

Thanks!