DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Flash: Bracket or Hotshoe (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/13788-flash-bracket-hotshoe.html)

John Locke August 26th, 2003 08:51 PM

Flash: Bracket or Hotshoe

Here in Japan, I've noticed that the EOS 1Ds and 10D are being used quite a bit by journalists at events, but none of the ones I saw are using the flash on the hotshoe. They're all using brackets that move the flash out to the side and, different than what I've used in the past, positioned down level with the lens.

I'm an old shooter, so I know the advantages of moving the flash out to the side a bit, but I've never seen the flash lowered this way. Anyone know why?

Also, do you tend to use your flash on the hotshoe or on a bracket? Which bracket do you prefer?

[I should point out that back in the days of old, I tended to use the built-in flash for a very slight fill which also triggered my flash which was set on slave and hand-held high and to the left. That was when I had time to carefully position the subject.]

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2003 06:14 AM

Other than a lower profile, I'm not sure why the bracket positions the flash lower. One of the reasons for positioning the flash off axis from the camera lens is to reduce red eye. Lowering the flash in the manner you describe would increase the probability of red eye.

I use the 380EX flash on camera, most of the time. Occasionally, I use a macro flash bracket that positions the flash closer to the front of the lens. The bird photography (no, Frank, the feathered kind) I shoot with a tele flash extender and tele flash bracket.

The flash extender is a Fresnel lens that helps project the light further. I get a gain of 2 to 3 stops of light. The tele flash extender positions the flash for use with long (over 300mm) telephoto lenses.

John Locke August 28th, 2003 06:55 AM

Yeah...it's interesting how they use a lowered bracket here. Someday I'll get someone to explain their reasoning.

I'll pick up the 550 at the same time I get my camera. I'll hold off on the fresnel until I can afford to get a good telephoto lens. At least for awhile, I'll be making do with one lens.

Adrian Douglas August 28th, 2003 08:56 AM

Tex. when you pick up your 550 get your hands on an Omni-bounce diffuser. I'm off to get one tomorrow for the 540EX I picked up for my 1n.

Jeff Donald August 28th, 2003 09:05 AM

Ah, I forgot to mention the Omni Bounce. Very nice product, produces very nice quality light.

John Locke August 28th, 2003 06:00 PM

Thanks, Adrian. It's officially added to the list.

Steven Digges August 31st, 2003 01:17 PM

The Omni-Bounce and other speedlight diffusers are great tools to have in your kit. Just remember to take three times as many batteries and be careful not to shoot to quickly (long recycle time). The diffusion often requires the flash to fire at full power on almost every shot.

Besides reducing redeye, the other main purpose of brackets is to eliminate the harsh shadow directly behind the subject. Especially when the camera is vertical. I was so pleased with the effects of an old Omni soft light adaptor that I used my bracket less and less, it also softened or removed the shadows. Good for me because I like to work with as little stuff as possible. You may find that the $20.00 Omni achieves results similar to the bracket.

Steve

John Locke September 29th, 2003 07:46 PM

I've just ordered the Omni bounce per all your suggestions, but I'm also going to order the Chimera softbox+bracket setup. I tend to like to raise my flash high but I get tired of holding it up. Plus, I like the softness of larger softbox. The Chimera setup looks like just the ticket for that type of shooting...elevation plus large diffusion area.