DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Light Meter help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/14188-light-meter-help.html)

Matt Betea September 6th, 2003 03:26 PM

Light Meter help

I've been looking at light meters lately. I understand the differences in light meters and the basic functions. I'm just not sure which would fit me best. I don't think I would need or want a high end meter (read $500-$600) as this will be my first one, my dad had an old Weston (can't even remember the model) that I used a couple times. One that I have been seeing coming up in threads over the net is the Luna Pro F from Gossen. Looking at the specs it looks very nice. I've also found a few locally on eb*y that are in good condition and going for pretty cheap. I would be using this mainly for zone metering for still and landscape. What are others using or recommend? Gossen and Sekonic seem to be popular choices from what I've been reading, but I haven't found a whole lot of reviews looking at meters. Thanks for any help and info.

matt

Adrian Douglas September 6th, 2003 05:19 PM

Unless you need or want a high-end meter Matt I wouldn't bother using one as the meters in modern 35/digital cameras are very accurate, that is unless you are using an old manual camera or are doing studio work with off camera lighting or strobes.

Christopher Go September 6th, 2003 05:26 PM

Hey matt, check out the Sekonic L-358. You can purchase the L-358 brand new for $249 from B&H Photo or $239 from Adorama, or you could probably find a cheaper price on eBay.

I've been looking at light meters too, and I was seriously considering this model as opposed to something very high end like the Sekonic L-608.

Steven Digges September 7th, 2003 06:49 PM

I second Adrian’s opinion, especially if you are going to use it for landscapes. What camera do you shoot with? I have a Minolta III (meter) that I have used for years. It meters ambient light and flash exposure. I have not metered an outside exposure with it since the days when all I shot with was Nikon F3s, a great camera with a poor meter. I still use the Minolta meter all of the time with my strobes. If you are shopping for a meter then I would guess you already know enough about difficult lighting situations to be able to handle them. When in doubt – bracket.

Oh yeah, to answer your question. The Minolta III and others from that series were very popular workhorses. I still see them in the used equipment cases at camera stores. I don’t know how much there selling for, mine was $350 ten years ago, must be cheap now. If you do any strobe work at all my advice would be to make sure you get a dual-purpose meter. Of course, for all I know you could be shooting with a view camera.

Jeff Donald September 7th, 2003 07:18 PM

If your interested in the Zone System it really requires a 1degree spot meter. Luna Pro F's had a spot meter attachment but I don't think it was 1 degree, more like 2.5 degree. But like Adrain and Steve, I haven't used a meter in years, except for flash metering in the studio.

Matt Betea September 8th, 2003 03:54 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I've been shooting with my D100 since I got it (and love it). But I have a Minolta x370 and a couple Rokkor lenses I'd like to start using again.

Thanks Jeff, that was one of the things I was wondering but failed to put into words. But I guess being a teacher, that makes you a part-time mindreader ;)

I'll look at the Sekonic more now. I should go to the camera shop and see what they have as I would hate to get something I find cumbersome to use. Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it.

matt