DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   A Review of the new Nikon D2H (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/17273-review-new-nikon-d2h.html)

Jeff Donald November 18th, 2003 07:21 AM

A Review of the new Nikon D2H

Rob Galbraith has posted his review of an early production model. Nikon fielded some complaints from results seen in preproduction models. Some of the issues seem to have been addressed. Noise levels at higher ISO seem better as does the Auto White Balance. It does not appear to be the Canon 1D killer that was rumored. In many of the sample shots between the D2H and 1D, the Canon has a clear edge.

Adrian Douglas November 18th, 2003 08:18 PM

Certainly doesn't sound like something to make someone switch from a 1D/1n/v to Nikon. If you have the early D1 then it would be a good step up, but it doesn't seem to be a huge step up from the D1H.

Can't wait to see Canon's answer!!!

Dylan Couper November 18th, 2003 09:16 PM

Price range?

Jeff Donald November 18th, 2003 10:09 PM

I would expect street price to be between $3,500 and $4,500 USD. I haven't heard an official MSRP or MAP price yet. They are not shipping yet.

Alex Ratson November 18th, 2003 10:21 PM

In Canada the current price is 4,499.00 CDN.

Alex

Steve Nunez November 19th, 2003 08:52 AM

The price will be $3199

I'm looking at this camera but it's ISO performance is a tad bit underpar- and shooting at 8fps means high iso with the accompanying high shutter speeds....

..if not- there's always the 1D!

I'll wait for the full production models and a few tests before I get one.....these are interesting times we live in!

Jeff Donald November 19th, 2003 09:07 AM

The 1D is $2999 the last time I checked B & H. Dell has it for $2,499 but the shipping list is very long and many orders may be cancelled. This is part of Dell's sales strategy and unfortunately disappoints many consumers.

Chris Hurd November 19th, 2003 09:29 AM

Jeff, I think it has more to do with Dell's limited allocation than anything else. Dell would like nothing more than to take money from every digitial SLR shopper they can bring in, but unfortunately the manufacturer limits the number that Dell can sell. As a result, Dell blows through their allocation quickly and the rest of the ready-to-buy list are left hanging until the next shipment comes in.

Canon has a tendency to underproduce, and not everyone who wants a Canon digital SLR will be able to buy one... a handy strategy for keeping the street prices at or near MSRP. Just like Gateway (another authorized Canon dealer offering the digital SLR's), Dell is strictly limited by Canon to a fixed number of cameras on hand to ship. Demand quickly exceeds supply, and one possible result is that the customer tires of waiting for Dell... or eventually, waiting for Canon... and shops elsewhere, possibly for a different brand.

We all know that these sophisticated digicams just don't roll off the assembly line like Twinkies... production and quality control is a complex process which limits the speed and volume at which they can be shipped. Truth is, Canon can't make them fast enough and therefore Dell can't ship them fast enough. In the long run, some tiny mom 'n' pop photo retailers will actually have a better chance at supplying the customer, providing their distributor hasn't already exhausted their alloted number of shippable units.

Steve Nunez November 19th, 2003 10:42 AM

Jeff, as a Canon "enthusiast" I was just about set to get the EOS 1D (not S- I want 8FPS!!) then read about the Nikon D2H......as an owner of both the Canon 10D and Nikon D1 (original D1 series) I've found that the Canon's seem to edge the Nikon's in terms of still subject image quality- but also find the Nikon seems to have a better "action" AF sensor resulting in more "keepers" of action shots. I spoke with a photographer I know and he too confirms this is the general consensus amongst professional photographers....Canon edges Nikon in "still" photos but Nikon edges Canon in "action" photos. "Still" meaning stationary subject matter. He also noted that Canon is usually the innovator in lens technology and Nikon seems to "copy" and "perfect" lens technolgy. Nikon's lenses are usually slightly more expensive than comparable lenses in the Canon line.
My old Kodak DCS620 which is basically a digital F5 was $24,000 new a few years ago and it too has the famous F5 AF system and consistenly yielded good action shots (usually hawks in flight)......the EOS 1D is an awesome camera and has image quality second to none (DSLR wise- Sigma SD10 is an unknown at this time- with it's X3 Foveon tech!)....so if that D2H has any issues- I'll likely pass on it and get the 1D (which has a slight banding issue at high iso) but beautiful iamge quality....the only real limit is a 24 image burst at 8FPS- if u wanna call 24 frames in 3 seconds a limit.

I can't wait for the reviewers to test the D2H......it's neither CCD or CMOS and was built from the ground up as a DSLR with all new F5-like body design.....times are good these days!!!!

Matt Betea November 19th, 2003 12:34 PM

I've seen the D2H being listed anywhere from $2999-$3299. As far as the SD10 goes, think of the terrible performance of an SD9 with slightly higher ISO settings and I believe a higher price tag.

A simple solution would be, if you have Canon gear, why worry or even discuss what Nikon is doing. If you have Nikon gear why worry or discuss what Canon is doing. People can nit-pick all they want about every little insignificant feature of each camera but when it comes down to it, for each price range the Canons and Nikons are going to be side by side, with the exception of one camera. As far as features and image quality goes.

Jeff Donald November 19th, 2003 05:16 PM

Canon has a significant lead in long lens technology and holds many key patents on Image Stabilization. Nikon has an edge in auto focus tracking because of key patents they hold. Neither is likely to share or license the technology to the other.

The issues I have with Dell are the requirements they have to maintain an item on B/O. They will leave a message that the customer must return in 24 hours or the B/O will be cancelled. I think this is Dell's attempt to thin the B/O numbers to meet their allotment. Allocations are nothing new in the camera industry. Retailers know the number of units to expect each month. Why take orders for huge numbers way in excess of the monthly allocations?

I know Dell customers that ordered lenses in September and were told a one to two week delivery date. Then a few days later are told to expect delivery in February. Now every 2 weeks they get a call they must return in 24 hours or else the order will be cancelled. This doesn't sound like they have the customers best interest at heart. Why make them jump through the hoop? All they want is the lens they were originally told to expect in a week or two.

Matt Betea November 19th, 2003 07:46 PM

I personally think Dell is now just getting too big for their own good. When I was ordering monitors from them. The first two were defects, you wouldn't believe the run-a-rounds one has to go through actually talk to someone. One night I spent a half hour just going through the menus!

Alex Ratson November 19th, 2003 11:58 PM

FYI:
The first image stabilizer was designed by Nikon and presented in a point and shoot. Obviously the low end of the consumer market was not at all ready for this sort of technology so Nikon dropped it. A few years latter Canon presented this same technology in their lenses and made it famous. Not until just recently did Nikon step back in to the image stabilizing realm were they presented the world with the 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFD VR (Vibration Reduction). Since the rebirth of Nikons VR technology they have presented us with two other VR lenses, the 70-200AFS and 24-120AFS. Nikon are also about to launch the highly anticipated 200-400 f/4 AFS.

Happy Shooting
Alex

Jeff Donald November 20th, 2003 07:12 AM

Quote:

FYI:
The first image stabilizer was designed by Nikon and presented in a point and shoot. Obviously the low end of the consumer market was not at all ready for this sort of technology so Nikon dropped it. A few years latter Canon presented this same technology in their lenses and made it famous.
This is incorrect, Canon developed IS not for their 35mm still photography market, but rather their broadcast market. It was marketed in 1992 in an 8mm camcorder. Several months later, at NAB, it appeared in their broadcast line of video lenses. It first appeared in 35mm equipment in 1995.

Canon has key patents for the VAP (Variable Angle Prism) and is generally credited with it's invention. The first stabilized lens was the Dynalens. It used a gyroscope to counteract movement. The technology was used by the military in the '60's with the lens introduced in '69.