DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Received EOS-1D Mark II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/27003-received-eos-1d-mark-ii.html)

Steven Digges June 3rd, 2004 02:50 PM

Received EOS-1D Mark II

I just received my EOS-1D Mark II. I have only fired a few frames so far but will be testing it over the next few weeks. I know there is not a lot of them out there yet so if anyone has any questions I will try to answer them.

The very first improvement I noticed is the exposure quality of flash pictures with the 550EX. For example, you can pop a tight face shot at 2 feet and have a perfect exposure instead of the usual blow out if you don’t compensate. Big improvement over the previous 3 zone system.

Each series of Canon digital cameras has a unique look and feel to the pictures. So far, and I stress, so far (less than 100 frames) into it, the default settings are producing a very warm photograph. There is no over saturation or digital pop at all. This body has a multitude of adjustments I have not touched yet. As I get into it I can let you know if it is as programmable as I am hoping it is.

Steve

Josh Allen June 4th, 2004 10:54 PM

Thanks for sharing Steve, I am very interested to hear what you think of the Mark II. This is the one that does like 8 fps burst, right?

Adrian Douglas June 5th, 2004 06:40 AM

Glad to hear you're happy so far Steve. I looks like the MkII is finally the camera that could make me give up the RS. Now if only I could afford it. I'm heading back to Australia next April so I'll finally be able to get back into serious shooting and make some cash to finally go all digital. It'll be so nice to finally give the Aussie pro labs, read that money sucking vultures, the flick. I once had to get two pushed rolls of Velva processed for a client and it cost me nearly AU$100!!!!!

Jeff Donald June 5th, 2004 08:18 PM

It seems like the ideal camera for many photographers. Please keep used posted on your thoughts.

Ken Tanaka June 6th, 2004 12:27 AM

I came across this early review of the EOS 1D Mark II (via Phil Askey's DPreview.com site's forums). It's an interesting piece. I particularly noted the omission of the DEP mode which I'm just learning to use on my 10D. I wonder why they did that, eh?

Steven Digges June 7th, 2004 08:45 PM

I'm working 18 hour days on a video project for the next two weeks (post production blues). After that I will have time to dig into this camera, I will let you guys know what I think about it. So far the little playing around I have done is awesome.

Adrian, I know high speed and ultra wide angles are a priority for you. This camera is loaded with features you will like, especially for your tough exposure situations like the water you shoot around. On top of all the usual exposure bracketing and compensation functions you can even fine tune or bracket the white balance after it is set. Say goodbye to pushing or pulling. The 1.3 conversion factor is a far cry from 1.6, it looks bigger than it sounds. If you want to see it I can take one of each at 16mm and e-mail them to you when I get time.

Ken, I read the review. I was surprised they gave so much ink to the lack of DEP mode. It is quite common for the top line pro body’s to have a different feature set (or lack of some of them) than a prosumer version. Canon did not include it because they assume a pro will use the depth of field preview button to accomplish the same thing. Some people don’t like preview because it darkens the view finder down to the actual aperture setting and takes a little practice to see the field in focus.

This is the camera I have been waiting for - 8.5 FPS with a 40 shot burst was the motivating factor behind this investment. I shoot a lot of auto racing; at 200 MPH those features can make a huge difference in my product.

Ken Tanaka June 7th, 2004 09:30 PM

Steven,
Indeed, the lack of an A-DEP facility certainly would not dissuade me from getting the camera. Heck, I just recently discovered what this "new" feature actually does! I'd just return to using the preview button.

The wider viewfinder field and the lower crop factor (than the 10D) are the most attractive attributes to me at this writing.

I am eager to hear feedback on the 1DMII.

Steven Digges June 8th, 2004 01:08 AM

“The wider viewfinder field and the lower crop factor (than the 10D) are the most attractive attributes to me at this writing”.

If those are your main considerations, save the money.

Steve

Edited: Sorry Ken, that was mindless rambling brought on by sleep depravation.

Ken Tanaka June 8th, 2004 01:22 AM

As one of the senior "wranglers" here, your preamble and postscript have baffled me.

Nonetheless, consistent with your stated preference for brevity, thank you for your advice.

Ken Tanaka June 11th, 2004 10:43 PM

Looks Like We'll Be Comparing Notes, Steven

After far more research into the 1DMkII I took the plunge tonight. The selling points that really pushed me over the edge, in addition to those I've listed, were as follows.
  • A completely weather-sealed body (unlike my 10D),
  • the greater AF point resolution,
  • the larger, fast burst buffer,
  • the new E-TTL II flash system, and
  • the prospect that this might be the ultimate picture machine for me for many years to come.
Seeing many sample shots from the camera, and seeing so many glowing owner reviews, were also very persuasive factors.

I'm spending more time with still photography these days than with video. So I think I'll be able to give this beast a work-out.

Mine should arrive next week, so I'll report back after I get a few shots under my belt.

Hey, as an added bonus my wife gave me the new 70-300 DO IS lens for my upcoming birthday!

Charles Papert June 12th, 2004 12:28 AM

Mazel Tov Ken, enjoy the camera. I look forward to hearing about your results with it.

Steven Digges June 12th, 2004 01:27 PM

Wow, receiving it in one week, good for you. I was on a waiting list since the day they were announced and just got it. You’ll have yours figured out before I have time to dig into mine. I’ll look forward to comparing notes and swapping tips. Stock up on flash cards, it fills them up in a heartbeat. What is the primary focus of your photography?

Steve

Ken Tanaka June 12th, 2004 06:39 PM

I can't honestly say I have a "primary focus" for photography. I'll shoot almost anything, although I'm not a flowers and bugs enthusiast. I prefer subjects that I can light, urbanscapes and landscapes.

Adrian Douglas June 13th, 2004 02:28 AM

Wow I wish I was Ken!!! Dropped another 5 rolls off at the lab today from a single 2 hour shoot. At 10fps a roll disappears faster than free beer on a hot summer afternoon. If you find it's too much camera for your needs Ken I'll give it a good home!!!

Steve, I would like to see the 16mm side by sides. Even better would be 15mm Fisheye if you have one as that's my primary WA. My big concern is that the 1.3 factor will kill the barrel distortion too much and just make the shots look like a poor quality WA.

Ken Tanaka June 14th, 2004 08:48 PM

For those following this camera, Phil Askey (Digital Photography Review) has just released his detailed review of the EOS 1D Mark II. I don't know how that fellow produces such exquisitely thorough reviews of cameras.