DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   New Canon DSLR?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/30089-new-canon-dslr.html)

Michael Sinclair August 4th, 2004 04:13 PM

New Canon DSLR?!

When are we going to see some affordable 11 or 12 MP prosumer DSLR's?

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2004 04:56 PM

That is several years away I'm afraid. A replacement for the 10D may be announced at next months Photokina. The speculation is for an 8+ MP camera, but with the 1.6 crop factor. The 1Ds (full frame sensor) is also due to be updated with a sensor of about 16 to 18 MP. I would expect it around the first of the year, but it could be shown at Photokina also.

Michael Sinclair August 4th, 2004 06:00 PM

poster size

I would love to have something that can print poster size without any loss in resolution. Something affordable. I better keep dreaming ;)

Jeff Donald August 4th, 2004 06:09 PM

I've printed out 20x30's from my 10D and they look better than most of my recent chromes. The files from the 10D have far less noise (grain) than the Provia and Astia images. The Digital Rebel should produce identical files.

Michael Sinclair August 4th, 2004 06:19 PM

I just came across an extra 1,000 dollars that I did not think I would have. I am very tempted to buy the Digital Rebel or the Nikon D-70. Which camera do you lean towards? I trust your experience. I was outside last night experimenting with my new Optura 300 from Canon. It was a blast. I am new at it, but will figure it out soon. I am building a new computer to edit on. It should be real fun.

Darrell Hinton August 4th, 2004 09:04 PM

Jeff, I know it has not been officially announced yet, but do you have any guesses on how much this new replacement for the 10d would cost? I recently decided to get a 10d but if a better replacement is in the near future and within my price range, I will wait.

Paul Jason August 5th, 2004 10:23 PM

Has anyone heard about a replacement for the Digital Rebel? Does Canon offer rebates on the older models just before a newer model comes out. Kind of like they do with the video camera XL1s?

Dylan Couper August 7th, 2004 01:53 AM

Re: poster size

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Sinclair : I would love to have something that can print poster size without any loss in resolution. Something affordable. I better keep dreaming ;) -->>>

No need to dream.... Just wait. It's coming, just a matter of time.

Don Parrish August 11th, 2004 06:40 AM

Hey Jeff, I am not very good when it comes to focal length, crop, sensor size calculations. Can you explain why an 8 mp sensor will still be 1.6x. I think the 1D Mark II is 8 mp but it is 1.3x crop factor right?

Jos Svendsen August 13th, 2004 01:08 AM

Major Canon annoncement 19th august

Well - something is gonna happen. I have here an invitation for a Canon presentation on the 20th august.
Quote: "Following our major global announcement on 19th, we are delighted to give you hands on experience with the new digital photo/video products"
And a major leak happened in France concerning the G6 . Take a look at http://www.photographyblog.com/comments.php?id=P3336_0_1_0
And it is interesting that the announcement is on the same day that the Digital Rebel was announced last year, and it is more or less at the same time as the WEVA-show.

This is hard facts.

Bill Keen August 14th, 2004 04:32 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Sinclair : I just came across an extra 1,000 dollars that I did not think I would have. I am very tempted to buy the Digital Rebel or the Nikon D-70. Which camera do you lean towards? I trust your experience. I was outside last night experimenting with my new Optura 300 from Canon. It was a blast. I am new at it, but will figure it out soon. I am building a new computer to edit on. It should be real fun. -->>>

Michael, I chose the D70 over the DRebel. The Nikon is is pretty much better in every spec. I would buy the 10D before the DRebel. If your choices are strictly between the D70 and DRebel, then I would only go with the Canon if I had a sizeable investment in Canon lenses.
Of course, there is a hack that adds alot more functionality to the Rebel and you can find some very good deals on it (and the 10D) right now - Look around at the the price comparison sites and also check out www.dpreview.com for reviews and their forums.

Jeff Donald August 14th, 2004 04:54 PM

Hi Don, sorry I've taken so long to respond, I got caught up in many pre-hurricane activities. The number of pixels are not determined by the size of the chip (at least not yet). The size chip used by the D30, D60, 10D and Digital Rebel is approximately 23mm X 15mm (or .9 inch X .6 inch). Yet the D30 3+ MP, and the other 6+ MP. The D30 has larger pixels (or photosites) than the other cameras.

A 35mm negative is 36mm X 24mm (or 1 1/2 inch X 1 inch). Compare the size of the negative to the size of the chip referred to above and the dimensions for the negative are 1.6 times greater. If you photograph a scene with the same focal length lens (say a 50mm Canon EOS EF lens) with a film camera and one of the digital cameras the smaller chips of the digital cameras will record less of the image. They would record 1.6 times less area and it would be a crop of the center portion of the image circle on the negative. Enlarge both the negative and the digital file to the same size print, say 4X6 inches, and the digital file would produce a print of just the center section (or crop) of the entire frame the print from negative would show. This print would show the center section enlarged 1.6 times larger than the same area of the print from negative.

Don Parrish August 14th, 2004 09:12 PM

Excellent, I actually understand now. So if an 8 mp replacement for the 10D comes out and it is still 1.6x, that means they have manufactured smaller pixels than what is used on the Mark II.

Thanks for the explanation, someday I'll have to hit one of your seminars.

Looks like you folks were beaten up down there, hope everything is OK. I was on duty and it looked bad but instead of heading towards Ocala putting us on the powerful side it went to Orlando putting us on the weak side.