DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   The Canon 20D "officially announced" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/30735-canon-20d-officially-announced.html)

Jeff Donald August 19th, 2004 05:16 PM

The Canon 20D "officially announced"

Reviews of pre-production models can be read at Luminous Landscape and Rob Galbraith. No photos taken with the camera can be posted until Monday the 23rd. It features many improvements over the 10D and is being compared to the 1DMKII, sort of a baby MKII.

Ken Tanaka August 19th, 2004 07:01 PM

Some very interesting enhancements, eh? ISO now goes up to 3200, like the 1D Mark II. And it's smaller and lighter than the 10D?! That extended built-in flash configuration will be extremely welcome to anyone shooting (sans external flash) with most EF lenses; no shadow!

Canon's really packed a great deal of value into this camera. They are so far up the mountain in DSLR that I don't think anyone will catch up with them for many years.

Now, about that Hasselblad/Imacon marriage...<g>

Ken Tanaka August 19th, 2004 10:05 PM

Sample 20D Images

Canon's Japanese site features some sample images (labeled in English).

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2004 01:45 AM

Have you also seen the new 580EX flash?

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2004 05:21 AM

It is the first flash that supports E-TTL 2. However, to use all the features, your MkII will require a firmware upgrade. I would expect one around the time the flash starts shipping.

Don Parrish August 20th, 2004 06:36 AM

USB 2.0 cool, 8.25 mp yeah, low noise alright, I hope the viewfinder turns out better than first impressions though, I feel it's critical to enjoying a camera. Interesting new shutter, I am anxious to see shutter life estimates.
The price however is incredible, and although I was going to bypass photography, I think I will jump at this one after the images prove worthy.

Just finished post processing the japan site photos, extremely nice and very easy, didn't need much. pics process easier than the Mark II, at least for me and that is only my opinion.

I think this camera will make a big bang in the photo world.

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2004 10:28 AM

So at this point the 1Ds is the model still due for an update. Based on the 1DMkII and now the 20D I think we can be confident that a "1Ds Mark II" will be coming by year-end.

Don Parrish August 20th, 2004 11:22 AM

You calculating tech folks, can you figure out the # of pixels a 1ds size sensor would have at the 20d pixel size???

Jeff Donald August 20th, 2004 11:54 AM

About 22 million, give or take a million or two.

Ken Tanaka August 20th, 2004 12:48 PM

Which would put the raw resolution at around the medium-format, such as the Hasselblad / Creo Leaf back which produces something like 22Mp? That feels excessive for a 35mm frame size but maybe not.

Don Parrish August 23rd, 2004 08:39 AM

Photos put up this morning by DPreview are stunning. This camera looks pro, I wish they would haved skipped some of the stuff like popup flash and opted for more memory.

580EX price ouch !!!!

Canon's new Speedlite 580EX flash and Compact Battery Pack CP-E3 will be available in October for estimated selling prices of $479* and $220*, respectively.