DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Something "Big" Coming From Canon Around September 3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/30939-something-big-coming-canon-around-september-3-a.html)

Ken Tanaka August 24th, 2004 04:26 PM

Something "Big" Coming From Canon Around September 3?

At this writing some of the photo boards are buzzing that something regarding still photography is coming from Canon. Some folks report that their local dealers are readying for this event. Some speculate that it's simply the expected update of the 1Ds. Others speculate that Canon might announce a completely new high-speed/high-res/full-frame camera that, in effect, will supersede the 1Ds and the 1D Mark II. Yet others think that Canon might, just might, jump past the recent Hasselblad/Imacon merger by introducing a digital medium format camera. We already know that the 20D is coming, so that can't be it.

This should probably be in Area 51 but, being basically a still photo matter, I thought I'd solicit opinions here for fun.

Jeff Donald August 24th, 2004 08:03 PM

Do you have a link to any of the rumors?

Ken Tanaka August 24th, 2004 08:32 PM

Probably a false alarm.

Here was the longest thread but it seems that it might just be a printer line.

Gotta love the Internet.

Jeff Donald August 24th, 2004 08:59 PM

I put some feelers out and it might be a very high MP replacement for the 1Ds. It would be 16MP to 22MP, full frame and very fast FPS (like 8 to 14 FPS). It seems Canon might want to jump the gun on Nikon at Photokina. Nikon is expected to release their new flagship dSLR.

Ken Tanaka August 24th, 2004 09:43 PM

Yup the 1Ds successor is certainly what I think most followers would expect to see soon.

I do also wonder about the digital future of medium format. Digital backs on film boxes might be adequate and perhaps having the option to go to digital or film in that format is an advantage that makes this configuration make sense. But it seems like a nicely integrated, gee-whiz performance digital product would both broaden the market for larger frame cameras and offer attractive margins.

Don Parrish August 25th, 2004 11:44 AM

Mamiya is going to die if they don't get off their backsides. And one would have have to think the medium format back industry is going to have to evolve also. I remember price tags of 33 grand for a medium format digital back.

Ken Tanaka August 25th, 2004 12:40 PM

Mamiya is definitely in need of some innovation or, failing that, a partnership that might buy it a few more years (like Hasselblad's)

MF digital backs seem to be selling in the range of $16,000-$20,000 these days. And those are basically just preview backs in the 6 mp range.

I suppose that good contract photographers can recover such high equipment costs in a short time, just like good video camera operators. So there may be little pressure on price. But I would think there would be pressure on the performance characteristics.

Don Parrish August 25th, 2004 08:29 PM

I actually still love film, I have some medium format shots using slide film that are deep, saturated and sharp. My problem was I coudn't find developers that could put them on paper even at 60 - 80 bucks a pop. only solution was nikon 8000, and that meant back to prosumer digital files, so why not just start there. I still have shots I would like to send to a pro lab that gives pro results. I just can't afford to make high dollar trial runs on 20x24 prints.

Roger Golub September 2nd, 2004 02:50 PM

Medium Format redux?

"I do also wonder about the digital future of medium format. Digital backs on film boxes might be adequate and perhaps having the option to go to digital or film in that format is an advantage that makes this configuration make sense. But it seems like a nicely integrated, gee-whiz performance digital product would both broaden the market for larger frame cameras and offer attractive margins"

It would be great, but I doubt it. The price breaks, even for a low end medium format seem out of reach for all of us non professionals, even those of us who like to spend money....

With the advent of the better DSLR chips approaching 35 film quality and the plethora of 35 mm lenses, etc. I think the majors (Canon, Nikon) are going to stick to that format. What you can do with a D100 / Digital Rebel / D1 type camera is truly impressive. I shoot largely landscapes and I'd love a digital medium format back but the results I've seen just don't justify the 20K investment. That's a lot of lenses....

Don Parrish September 4th, 2004 07:04 AM

Now rumors have it a 700$ DSLR is about to come out, some kind of a digital rebel II, but completely rumor.

Getting ready to take the soaking of a lifetime with Frances coming, See you folks in a week or so if power allows.

Miguel Lombana September 4th, 2004 08:03 AM

This should be what you guys are hunting for ...

http://www.pictureline.com/newslette...er/eos20D.html

Thanks to Canon you may be upgrading more than just a camcorder!

Don Parrish September 4th, 2004 08:10 AM

We have known of that one for a while, in fact it is getting ready to hit the market soon, we are awaiting another anouncement.

Hello Miguel, Oakland is just around the corner from Montverde, didn't know you were in the neighborhood, I am in Umatilla which after frances might be just a boat ride away !!

Jeff Donald September 4th, 2004 09:08 AM

You guys can paddle over my way in Dunedin, I'm on high ground (for Florida). It's really strange weather here right now. An almost cloudless sky and 30 mph wind. The rain is still probably 3 or 4 hours away.

Jeff Donald September 7th, 2004 10:52 AM

Nothing ever came of the announcement. I guess we'll have to wait until closer to Photokina.

Don Parrish September 7th, 2004 05:30 PM

Just got power back, Miguel, Jeff, you folks alive ??