DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Adobe RGB (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/33210-adobe-rgb.html)

Andrew Leigh October 9th, 2004 11:45 AM

Adobe RGB

Hi,

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements that came bundled with the 10D.

Is Adobe RGB an industry colour standard or only applicable to Adobe products?

Should I be shooting on Adobe RGB for maximum creative possibilities?

I have read the manual and it it is possible that I will use commercial printers on the odd occasion and therefore RGB appears to be the preferred medium, but I am more concerned with the accuracy of the colour and the possibilities in post.

Cheers
Andrew

John DeLuca October 9th, 2004 03:47 PM

Is Adobe RGB an industry colour standard or only applicable to Adobe products?

Ask your photo lab if they print using adobie 98 RGB color space. Most lower end places, like walmarts one hour for example lmao, still use SRGB(standard red, green, blue).

John

Jeff Donald October 9th, 2004 04:15 PM

Adobe RGB is a wider gamut (larger color space, more colors). If you're printing the majority of your images at home (inkjet) then use aRGB. If your producing images for web use mostly, sRGB and if your mostly using one-hour labs use sRGB. Some pro labs may use aRGB and commercial printers (4 color, 6 color etc.) will prefer aRGB. The sRGB or aRGB is only a tag that tells color aware software (like Photoshop and PS Elements) in what color space to display the image. The actual color space the image is in is larger than either aRGB or sRGB. It is closer to Prophoto RGB. The color space is a variant of the L*A*B color space that Canon calls, Canon Digital Camera or sYCC.

Andrew Leigh October 10th, 2004 02:03 AM

Hi Jeff,

Could not find the answer on the web or in the manual.

Is the Adobe RGB in the 10D menu settings = aRGB?

Seem obvious but as my dad once said to me "Never assume anything".

Thanks
Andrew

Bill Ravens October 10th, 2004 07:32 AM

yes, aRGB and Adobe RGB are one and the same. To make matters more confusing, while these are the only choices within the camera software, there are multiple choices when you bring the image file into your computer. All of these choices affect the final color balance of your printed or displayed images.

For my own process, I 've found that the best images are available by converting aRGB images to the 10D ICC profiles available from Magne Nilsen at www.etcetera.ne. I convert all my 10D RAW files to this profile when they are brought into Capture One, my RAW converter of coice. When I output to TIF, I convert, once again to ProPhotoRGB, which has a color space even larger then aRGB. Itstays in ProPhoto until my printer drivers convert, for the last time, to the printer ICC profile.

This color management scheme is tedious, at best. There are losses or at least perversions, at every step. ICC profile conversion should be kept to an absolute minimum, and even then, take care which programs you employ to convert or remap.

Together with a calibrated monitor(I use Gretag Macbeth Eye-1), I've found this proccess gives me the best color prints possible.

Andrew Leigh October 10th, 2004 08:53 AM

Thanks Bill

Cheers
Andrew