DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Movie Short shot with Canon 20D! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/43245-movie-short-shot-canon-20d.html)

Jeff Toogood April 19th, 2005 02:14 PM

Movie Short shot with Canon 20D!

Check out this movie short shot at 5 FPS with a Canon 20D!

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

Keith Loh April 19th, 2005 02:21 PM

I am totally impressed.

John Sandel April 19th, 2005 03:48 PM

I loved it. I turned the sound off after about five seconds, but it works just fine as a silent movie.

Dylan Couper April 19th, 2005 10:26 PM

I'm in love.

Mike Teutsch April 20th, 2005 06:11 AM

Loved it--Great!

Barry Gribble April 20th, 2005 08:57 AM

Very neat story, good job overall. The sound was crazy annoying though... is that supposed to be a camera shutter?

Did you have anything to do with the production Jeff? or are you just passing it on? Either way, thanks.

Keith Loh April 20th, 2005 09:27 AM

So which one of these babies is going to have more than 5fps?

Not having sound recording is no problem, it's the fps.

Dylan Couper April 20th, 2005 12:19 PM

That sound is real 20d shutter sound.

Keith, as we spoke about earlier, if you took the 1d Mk2 with 8fps, tripled it, you'd have a stuttery 24fps.

I'm so in love with this concept. I hate video now.

John Sandel April 20th, 2005 02:16 PM

Well, the funny thing is, Dylan---this is video. Image capture unifies around a core technology (chips) and their convergence can blur the lines between mediums.

"I got your depth-of-field gadget riiiight here!"

Brandon Greenlee April 20th, 2005 04:56 PM

Wouldn't this be considered HD?

I'm sure that even in movie mode like this it was probably shooting 1024x768 or am I wrong?

Xiaoli Wang April 20th, 2005 05:28 PM

Actually, the sensor size of the 20D (22.5 x 15.0 mm) is quite close to that of a 35mm movie frame (24 x 18 mm), rather than 2/3" HD camera (8.8 x 6.6 mm).

This is a pretty innovative experiment...you pretty much get a projectable quality 35mm-like image with similar DOF as long as you find a way to get around the frame rate and short takes.

Isn't there some DSLR that can shoot at 14fps?

Dylan Couper April 20th, 2005 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Sandel
Well, the funny thing is, Dylan---this is video. Image capture unifies around a core technology (chips) and their convergence can blur the lines between mediums.

"I got your depth-of-field gadget riiiight here!"

Now you KNOW I mean miniDV... :)

Jeff Toogood April 20th, 2005 08:46 PM

I had no part in this production, just found it on another site and thought I would share it here.

Alex Ratson April 21st, 2005 09:53 PM

Vary cool!
When I am shooting sports with my D2H (8fps) I always enjoy holding down the playback button and watching my images sequence through like a move.

Alex

Jos Svendsen April 24th, 2005 11:29 AM

Wow and tripple wow!

This is one idea, where you first go Wow, and then start kicking yourself for not being so bright.

My current HDV-projekt just got another camera. It can be masked in Vegas to 16:9 and resampled to 25 fps hmmm...

Interesting .... Looks kind of modern ..... Hmmmm <voice gradually fades, noise of keyclicks as man changes parameters in Vegas 6, Slam of door as man leaves again with a 20d loaded with 1 gig CF-cards.>

Dorothy Engleman April 30th, 2005 12:02 AM

I can't view the movie, boo hoo. Can someone please describe this clip?

Here's something that sounds exciting: the soon-to-be-released Canon S2 IS:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6466-7774

Dorothy

Dorothy Engleman May 2nd, 2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiaoli Wang
Actually, the sensor size of the 20D (22.5 x 15.0 mm) is quite close to that of a 35mm movie frame (24 x 18 mm), rather than 2/3" HD camera (8.8 x 6.6 mm).

This is a pretty innovative experiment...you pretty much get a projectable quality 35mm-like image with similar DOF as long as you find a way to get around the frame rate and short takes.

Isn't there some DSLR that can shoot at 14fps?

After viewing this movie at our local Apple Store today, let me add another enthusiastic "WOW"!!!

This is indeed a pretty cool experiment which I can't wait to explore with the soon-to-be-released Canon 12x Powershot S2 IS which can shoot at 30 and 15fps.

Thanks for sharing this exciting clip!

Dorothy

Xiaoli Wang May 2nd, 2005 08:49 PM

Actually, the S2 1S only does 2.4fps, you're talking about the movie mode.

Dorothy Engleman May 2nd, 2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Actually, the S2 1S only does 2.4fps, you're talking about the movie mode.

Xiaoli, are you saying this movie at 5fps was composed in the still camera mode? Dorothy

Xiaoli Wang May 2nd, 2005 09:07 PM

Yes...that's the point of the whole film/thread...

The 20D can do 5 fps for up to 23 frames. It doesn't have a movie mode as it is an SLR.

Dorothy Engleman May 2nd, 2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Yes...that's the point of the whole film/thread...

The 20D can do 5 fps for up to 23 frames. It doesn't have a movie mode as it is an SLR.

Yikes, thanks Xiaoli! My brain definitely was MIA for this thread!

So, if the maximum continuous shooting was 23 frames, this movie must've been a herculean task to shoot and edit. Or was there an easier way to pull this off? Dorothy

Xiaoli Wang May 2nd, 2005 10:23 PM

I'd imagine so, considering it'd be over a thousand images and a few gigs of space. The most bothersome part would probably be the 5 second takes, but you can tell about every 5 seconds he changes to another scene.

With a fast computer and good organizational skills it is do-able, as already proven.

The most interesting part in my opinion is the sensor size of DSLRs and the 35mm-like images it can produce.

Jeremy Peterson May 8th, 2005 01:50 AM

Your short film reminded me allot of early silent films, I keep expecting a black screen with text explaining the scene to pop up. I like the technique very much, very creative.

I also have a 20d, and when set to record small images (1728x1152) you can more or less take images at 5fps until you run out of space. I was able to take 750 continually until I ran out of space.

Michael Struthers May 8th, 2005 01:01 PM

This looks very much like video shot with a sony HD 950 Cinealta. Some noise in the blacks. Very cool.

Jack Zhang June 21st, 2005 11:52 PM

Can you render the movie in WMV HD? looks way better that way.

Nick Hiltgen June 24th, 2005 08:31 PM

how can you tell the differenc between a 950 and a 900?

Chris Hurd June 25th, 2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

how can you tell the differenc between a 950 and a 900?
If you're only on a first mortgage, it's the newer 950. If it's the second mortgage, then it's the older 900.

Adam Burtle June 29th, 2005 10:00 AM

i'm not on here much nowadays.. but i just thought i'd comment that i's cool to see someone else doing this.. i thought i was the only one.

i've been shooting short clips with a DSLR for a film we have in production since late 2004. [edit: and my first real experiments doing so were in 2003.. i think i posted some of them here] It's been a very interesting process, and can produce some very unique results.. getting a slow-mo-sped-up savingprivateryan type effect is very easy, especially if you shoot shutter priority (as the built in exposure meter isnt perfect etc and each frame will be slightly pushed or pulled, causing flickering). I've been shooting very fast shutter (1/500th or quicker) and then using blurring algorhythm + track matte in post to simulate a more natural filmic look. Also, i've been shooting handheld, and going for weird bullet-time jib type motions.. which produces some jittery crazy movement (that I like).. but with the overall resolution available, I've also found as long as you don't frame anything too tightly.. you can always use the extra resolution to motion track and stabilize the footage, further concealing it's origins. Such a shame it will eventually be 480p.. rotoscoping at 3k is remarkably fun :). In a few weeks when post is totally finished, i'll post some 720/24p clips here if i can remember heh.

i've also been doing some other unique stuff with the DSLR i am 99.9% certain no one else is doing.. but i'm keeping that a secret for now ;)

Nick Hiltgen July 12th, 2005 02:59 PM

Ha! excellent point chris...

Jack Zhang July 15th, 2005 03:32 PM

This movie goes perfect with a song from the game "Sly 2: Band of Theives". I recompressed the original movie into H.264 at 140Kb\s and used uncompressed audio to sync the music with the video and I must say it almost fits the sped up 24fps footage. In case you've played the game, the music is from the part where you're in Dimitri's nightclub. The file size is about 70 to 80MBs but I can't upload it (I wanna respect Patryk Rebisz).