DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Need tripod and monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/47383-need-tripod-monopod.html)

Dylan Couper July 8th, 2005 09:52 AM

Need tripod and monopod

It's about time I got a tripod and or a monopod for my still camera. I have several for my video camera, but that doesn't help me much.

The monopod will be used for sports/event shooting, and maybe a little wildlife. Must be able to flip into portrait angles.

The tripod will have to be able to do nearly everything, and fast, including portrait angles. Also has to be light, and compact for travel. Quick release plate for sure.

Budget is probably $200, preferebly for both. I know it isn't much, but, well, that's it. :)

Michael Salzlechner July 8th, 2005 12:03 PM

Dylan

you didnt mention camera and lenses but i guess from your other post it would be a Canon 10D with possibly a 100-400 and some other shorter lenses

First the monopod. If you use a lens like the 100-400 the lens has a tripod collar and you really dont need anything else to go vertical/horizontal on a monopod or tripod. So for the monopod get a decent bogen monopod which wil probably set you back about $60-$80 or so.

As far as the tripod goes your budget is very low. At least i would get a decent bogen tripod which wil probably run about $200 and then add a ball head possibly a kirk BH-3. Problem is this will be quite over your budget because you need the ball head at something like $300 or so and lens and camera plates (arca swiss type plates).

getting anything less then that is IMO a waste of money as you might as well hand hold the camera for the same results.

Dylan Couper July 8th, 2005 10:05 PM

Well, one of the reasons I don't mind it being cheap is because I'll almost never use it. I think I use a tripod less than a flash. :)

I was thinking of something like this for a head:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...529572874&rd=1

and then some fairly small sticks. I want them small because they'll get strapped to my backpack for a while.

Dylan Couper August 6th, 2005 10:06 PM

Update:
I picked up a set of Manfrotto 190 sticks used for $70 and a used Manfrotto ball head for $50.

Peter Jefferson August 17th, 2005 07:28 PM

ive seen the manfrotto ball pistol grip in action and thats the one im going for.. as for sticks, im not sure yet.. prolly something small.. they dont have to be as chunky as my vid cam legs..

Gints Klimanis October 31st, 2005 05:25 PM

I have the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head with pistol grip. Although I like the pistol grip flexibility with smaller lenses, it is quite unwieldly with my Nikon D2H and a longer 70-200 VR lens. The reason is that it's difficult to maintain adequate tension in the head when positioning unbalanced gear. Also, you'll find yourself struggling to level the device. I wish this product were a left-handed device to allow for left-handed positioning and right-handed shutter trigger. I plan to experiment using a cable release in my left hand in the future.

Gints Klimanis October 31st, 2005 05:36 PM

I find I use the monopod much more often, for sports and travel. It's just
so much easier to carry and setup. It's almost a tripod when you can lean it up against another support. Also, you can use it in areas that discourage
a tripod, such as museums and aquarium exhibits. The way to understand the monopod is that it is much better than *not* using a tripod. Heh heh.

Gints Klimanis October 31st, 2005 05:44 PM

Ok. I just got my gear from the car.

Go for a three section unit as you'll
find it easier to setup than more sections. I also have the 3245 Manfrotto automatic monopod with two sections, but it is quite heavy . I wouldn't recommend it for travel. Though, it is *great* for sports that end up
at knee level, such as martial arts. By the time you play with locking sections,
you've missed the takedown action, which is usually the best.

For three section monopods, there are tons of choices. I like the three section Manfrotto 676B. A Manfrotto 3232 tilt head is available, but I don't
really like it. Though, I haven't seen any better alternatives. The 3232 head is heavier than it should be. The wheel fastener mechanism is a pain and doesn't hold well. The tilt goes slightly (10 degrees) past 90 degrees, which just ludicrous. Why ? This overshoot is enough to require playing with
the unit at the end. If you add a quick release plate or ball head, this monopod is more suitable as a weapon than a light support device.

Gints Klimanis November 3rd, 2005 03:04 PM

I tried the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head with pistol grip yesterday in the left-handed position. It worked quite well when I was tracking fish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Position with the left, shutter release/focus with the right.