DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   10d good enough to shoot wedding still? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/66335-10d-good-enough-shoot-wedding-still.html)

Todd Kivimaki April 30th, 2006 11:42 PM

10d good enough to shoot wedding still?

After doing wedding video for 4 years I'm thinking of expanding and offering photography as well.

I need some help on what equipment to buy. I worked for a photographer about a year ago and we shot with Canon 10d's. So I was leaning towards the 10d. I know this is an older camera and the 20d is out, but I need to be cost consensus, because I don't know if I am going to succeed in wedding photography.

I'm looking at a package that includes:
Canon 10d (3,603 actuations) $599
Canon USM 28-105 mm 3.5-4.5 $250
Canon 550ex $250

If I bought it all together he would sell it for $1049.

The nice thing is the seller has all original boxes and manuals.

1. Is this equipment good enough to shoot weddings (I realize I will need some other misc. equipment)

2. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for any help, I not up to date with equipment or prices so anything will help.

Thanks,
Todd

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2006 05:03 AM

I use a Contax G2/45mm F2 lens/flash/tripod for weddings. I would assume a 10D would be great for weddings if you don't blow them up too large. Most people also want a CD along with an album these days. However, a digital cam, I find, requires more time to screw around with than my wife's Contax (bang, bang bang...change the film, etc).

Francois Camoin May 5th, 2006 10:59 AM

The Canon 10d will give you images that can be enlarged to 11x14 without any problem. It's a fine camera. The only problem I can see with the kit you have in mind is that the 28-85 lens will not give you any kind of wide angle capability because of the 1.6 multiplication factor (small sensor). Your widest effective setting will be about 45mm. I'd suggest buying an 18-35 like the one that comes with the Rebel. It's an inexpensive lens, but even the inexpensive Canon lenses are very good.

Todd Kivimaki May 6th, 2006 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the help, I ended up buying the 10D and love it. I would like to go with the Rebel lens. My brother has a rebel and his 18-55 lens won't fit, actually it is a ef-s lens. Does the lens need modified. This site says something about it: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html

Is this common to modify the lens to fit? It would be a cheap alternative for a wide angle lens. Just wondering what you pros think?

Thanks,
Todd

Dylan Couper May 6th, 2006 10:46 PM

I didn't think you could modify the EF-S lens to fit on the 10d, interesting link! However there are other alternatives out there if you don't want to use a hacksaw (see Sigma). The 10d is fine for weddings. The photographer is responsible for 98% of the results anyway. :)

Emre Safak May 7th, 2006 10:04 AM

The 10D has terrible low light performance, so be sure to use flash.

Francois Camoin May 7th, 2006 10:07 AM

From what I read on the Canon forums it's relatively easy to modify the EFS lens to work with the 10D. However it's always a touchy thing to fool with lens mounts on those fully computerized lenses. I'd check out the Sigma line.

Keith Loh May 7th, 2006 10:43 AM

Use a Flash or get a faster lens.

Dylan Couper May 7th, 2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre Safak
The 10D has terrible low light performance

Compared to what?

Emre Safak May 8th, 2006 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Compared to what?

Good point. Compared with other cameras of its class.

Kurth Bousman May 8th, 2006 09:53 AM

I regularly make 15x23 prints from my digrebel & the 10d is virtually the same resolution and they look great. I've made up to 26x40 using commercial fuji machines and those look acceptable.Usually the large prints show my faults before the cameras' . Maybe if you're picking the prints apart with a 8x loupe you could see some res loss, but at normal viewing distance , a 10d should give a very good print much larger than 11x14.Kurth

Dylan Couper May 8th, 2006 11:39 PM

Quote:

Good point. Compared with other cameras of its class.

Can you give me an example of something in it's class that it is terrible compared to?

Emre Safak May 9th, 2006 06:28 AM

Sure! The 20D and 30D have much improved noise characteristics.

Todd Kivimaki May 14th, 2006 09:30 PM

Wow, didn't mean to stir up anything. I ended up purchasing the 10D set along with many other accessories, (50mm 1.8 lens, flash bracket, off camera cord, a set of 2 studio flashes, a background system and backdrops, and another tripod and ballhead, oh yea and the Spyder calibration suite ) Wow I went a little crazy! I'm really getting into this photography thing, and have been reading like crazy trying to catch up.

I really love the pictures the 10D takes, I had a couple of 8x10's printed at Walgreens, and the quality look great.

Thanks for all the input.

Dylan Couper May 25th, 2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Sure! The 20D and 30D have much improved noise characteristics.

Kind of like saying the Ferrari F360 has terrible handling and acceleration, when compared to the F430...

Francois Camoin May 25th, 2006 08:28 AM

Todd:
I'm glad you like the camera. Not to say anything against Walgreen's, but drugstore prints are no way to measure the quality of your photos. Especially now that you have a calibrated monitor, you can print your own at far higher quality. To paraphrase Dylan, what you're doing here is buying a Ferrari and hiring a UPS driver to chauffeur you around town.

Todd Kivimaki June 4th, 2006 08:20 AM

Francois - I completely agree on the walgreens thing, I would never sell prints from walgreens it was just a quick compare. I have been using Mpix as my lab and have been happy wih the results. They have my prints on my door in about 2 days max, also they color correct for me.

I would print at home but only have a Epson R320, and I need new profiles made, just haven't gotten around to that. Even after I get the profiles made I don't think I will print at home, because the lab is easy and they know what they are doing.

Any other opinions on what labs to use? I would like to find a lab that has some really nice sports things (like memory mates, and cutouts etc)

Thanks,
Todd

Emre Safak June 4th, 2006 09:18 AM

Try prodpi.com.