DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Still Crazy (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/)
-   -   Pentax *ist DL (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/still-crazy/70775-pentax-ist-dl.html)

Daniel Wang July 3rd, 2006 05:16 PM

Pentax *ist DL

After not hearing too many responses (none) on the orginal topic, I thought I'd bring up what I found.

I've discovered the Pentax *ist DL with an 18-55 lens. At right under $500, and the current $100 Pentax Rebate offer, this looks just right.

But if there is anyone that does have an opnion (from use) on the DL, I'd love to hear it.

Pieter Saayman July 3rd, 2006 06:01 PM

Unless you already have a set of Pentax lenses, I would not recommend you buy it.

Remember, when you are buying a SLR you are not only buying a camera, you are buying a system.

Consider that later on you may want to upgrade your camera. When you do that you do not want to change your lens system, because it would be too expensive.

Buy into a system where there is a big selection of not only lenses, but also cameras.

I would suggest something like the Canon Eos 350D (Rebel kiss in the US, I think) or the Nikon D50, because you can keep your lenses and still have a lot of options about upgrading the camera body later on.

Daniel Wang July 4th, 2006 01:36 AM

Pieter you make a very good point, thank you.

The only lenses I own currently are Canon FD's - from Pre-EF 35mm era, and a Canon J series 2/3" Broadcast IF lenses, (ha ha, see those on an still camera?)

I realize that later on I would want to take advantage of the great glass on EF's or Nikon, but right now it's the investment I've made in flash memory. I have bounds of SD and MMC flash memory, and other than the D50, there is no SLR (sub $1k) that uses the SD/MMC platform. I own a large amount of SD memory, and would like to put it to use, rather than selling it for a low price. I use a D50 week to week for a small agency, and am happy with it, but with the kit lens @ $800, it seems too much right now. Even off-brand Nikon & Canon lenses are pricey, but the Pentax lenses seem very affordable from the same manufacturers, and Pentax brand too.

As for the 350D (and here it's the Rebel XT) - I have used it for a week in the desert and I just cant deal with the feel of that Camera, it's plastic body just...doesnt appeal to me, durable or not - I cant deal with it.

Thanks for your response,

Dan

Pieter Saayman July 4th, 2006 08:02 AM

Hi Dan,

Go with what suits your budget!

If it is the Pentax, then that is what you buy. But if you have time to wait a while, then go for the D50 when your budget allows it.

The standard kit lens that comes with the D50 is much better than the standard kit lens that comes with the Rebel XT.

If you do decide to go for the Pentax, go and test it first like you did with the Rebel XT and the D50.

In the end, the camera is as good as the photographer, no matter what you buy.

Pieter

Tim Johnson July 4th, 2006 08:40 AM

pentax isnt all that bad - and sigma make some good lenses for the mount. take into account pentax plan to release two new bodies soon though. take a look at them before you make any decisions.

in reality any dslr is good, even konica minolta, even if they r no longer producing stuff (so thats why u should avoid them for now).

Noah Hayes July 17th, 2006 04:05 PM

Daniel, what lens is in the $800 D50 kit? Thats a ridiculously high price. You can pick one up with the 18-55mm lens for less than $700 at bh, best buy, circuit city...ect. I work at Best Buy, and at my store we've had the D50 as low as $569 when its on sale... as with the other guys here, DO NOT GET A PENTAX (IMO) Pentax will most likely follow Minolta's path and completely get out of the camera industry eventually, and you're gonna be stuck there with a Pentax *ist DL and a couple hundred bucks in lenses no one is gonna want to buy off you.

Get a D50(purely because of the SD cards that you already have) or save up a little more for a D70s or 20D (compact flash...2GB Ultra II for about $85)

I'd recommend the Rebel XT, but I agree with you about the grip of basically pure plastic...but the D50 is primarily plastic too... Nikon just hides it better :)

Chris Barcellos July 17th, 2006 04:19 PM

Has anyone checked out the Olympus 8 megapixel DSLR ? I see it selling pretty cheap, and the Olympus had had some decent Digital cams in the past.

Jacob Mason July 17th, 2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
Get a D50(purely because of the SD cards that you already have) or save up a little more for a D70s or 20D (compact flash...2GB Ultra II for about $85)

I'd recommend the Rebel XT, but I agree with you about the grip of basically pure plastic...but the D50 is primarily plastic too... Nikon just hides it better :)

The D50 and D70s are currently in limited supply from authorized dealers.
In fact, last time I checked B&H only had one of the D50 kits, and absolutely no D70s, no bodies, no kits, nothing.
They've been on back-order or out of stock at a number of places for a while now.
Based on personal experience at a few different camera shops and seeing the limited quantities in supply I suspect that next month we will probably see some leaked specs on successors to these models with definite confirmation at Photokina in the fall. The D50 will probably only get a minor upgrade, similar to how the D70 recieved a minor upgrade to the D70s last year, but the D70s will now get a significant upgrade.
Anywhere between 8-10MP, with some interesting cosmetic and internal advancements.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Has anyone checked out the Olympus 8 megapixel DSLR ? I see it selling pretty cheap, and the Olympus had had some decent Digital cams in the past.

Olympus does have a great deal going with their DSLR/two lens kits right now.
The only turn off about them, as well as Panasonic is the 4/3 system.
I think their smaller sensors will have a tougher time at advancing beyond the 10MP mark without amplifying noise.
The other lenses they offer are also pretty pricey, so even though the system doesn't cost much to invest in at the start, they really do get you with the lenses.

Noah Hayes July 18th, 2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Mason
The D50 and D70s are currently in limited supply from authorized dealers.
In fact, last time I checked B&H only had one of the D50 kits, and absolutely no D70s, no bodies, no kits, nothing.
They've been on back-order or out of stock at a number of places for a while now.
Based on personal experience at a few different camera shops and seeing the limited quantities in supply I suspect that next month we will probably see some leaked specs on successors to these models with definite confirmation at Photokina in the fall. The D50 will probably only get a minor upgrade, similar to how the D70 recieved a minor upgrade to the D70s last year, but the D70s will now get a significant upgrade.
Anywhere between 8-10MP, with some interesting cosmetic and internal advancements.

Olympus does have a great deal going with their DSLR/two lens kits right now.
The only turn off about them, as well as Panasonic is the 4/3 system.
I think their smaller sensors will have a tougher time at advancing beyond the 10MP mark without amplifying noise.
The other lenses they offer are also pretty pricey, so even though the system doesn't cost much to invest in at the start, they really do get you with the lenses.

Yeah, but you do really get what you pay for...with a body, standard wide angle lens, somewhat telephoto lens...they're cutting a lot of corners...very noisy image, bad automatic white balance, soft kit lenses, traditional complicated Olympus menu system...lots of marketing ploys like the "amazing self sensor cleaner" which doesnt work that way they say it does...but on paper...yes a good deal

Jacob Mason July 18th, 2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
Yeah, but you do really get what you pay for...with a body, standard wide angle lens, somewhat telephoto lens...they're cutting a lot of corners...very noisy image, bad automatic white balance, soft kit lenses, traditional complicated Olympus menu system...lots of marketing ploys like the "amazing self sensor cleaner" which doesnt work that way they say it does...but on paper...yes a good deal

Asking if somebody really gets what they pay for tends to be a subjective issue.
The camera and/or camera system in question may meet one person's needs better than another.
It's up to the individual to decide if it is really worth it.
When addressing the features in comparison with other models in the same class, there are always trade-offs, so if someone takes issue with a set of features that one camera lacks, then they should simply look at the camera system that does offer those features.
As for the lens factor, no kit lens is prime quality, be it from Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or anybody within that realm, no big surprise. And I know that any camera based on the 4/3 system produces less favorable results with regard to high ISO noise, this is no surprise either.
Issues like handling/ergonomics/menu systems are subjective, and people hold different opinions about that.
I really don’t care about marketing ploys, be it for truly unique features like anti-dust sensors or a minor mod, all of the camera manufacturers are guilty of this. They each have an angle, and they use it in order to move their product.

Daniel Wang August 15th, 2006 08:47 PM

Well,

I bit the bullet and I bought the DL
Regrets? Not too many. I just saw the D50 come down to 599, with a 28-80 lens (not nikon) from Ritz Camera.

I just remind myself, Pentax lenses are both cheaper in price, and equal in quality.

I do regret that there is only P-TTL flash systems, not TTL on the DL. The eyecup came off while moving around in my run-bag, and I'm not entirely happy with f5.g at 55mm, but my hands are steady. I love being able to use ISO400, even 800, with out the amount of grain I'm used to. Also, the SD card tends to...shoot out of the slot. I mean...shoot. I've gotten one 5 feet across the room... but if you're careful. The lens is well built, much better than the Canon kit lens, I cant speak for Oly or Panny. I like the independent focus ring, not a rotating front element.

Build quality is still plastic, but much better than the Canon 300D/350D

John Jay August 16th, 2006 12:41 PM

not forgetting that the *ist series will meter the older Pentax manual lenses from Takumar or Carl Zeiss m42 or 645 or 67 with the right adapter through to all the K mounts which is amazing for the price.